What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norm Provan RIP

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Norm Provan Grandstand

The Immortal Norm Provan passed away on 13 October, 2021.

"Provan played a crucial role in St George's 'Never Before, Never Again' era, playing part in 10 of the club's 11 successive grand final victories (1956-65), the latter five of which he acted as captain-coach. The aftermath of St George's 1963 win over Western Suburbs saw one of Australia's most memorable sporting images captured, now known as 'The Gladiators', with Provan embracing then Magpies captain Arthur Summons.A sculptured trophy of this special moment has been awarded to the victorious grand final team since 1982, now known as the 'Provan Summons' Trophy." - St.George-Illawarra Dragons

The grandstand at Kogarah Jubilee has never been named after anyone. It should be named after the Immortal Norm Provan. Let's make this happen Georges River Council!

I am seeking your support and calling on you to sign this petition which will be presented to the General Manager of Georges River Council. Thanks for your support.

(Petition authorised by Lachlan McLean - PO Box 765, Kogarah, 1485. 0419 555 863)

MORE:

Gareth67

First Grade
The giant Saint has finally fallen . He deserves every accolade as he has earned them . The player who stood so tall and proud in the Big Red V jersey has left those of us who were fortunate enough to watch him play with so many, many wonderful memories . Peace be with you Norman .

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The giant Saint has finally fallen . He deserves every accolade as he has earned them . The player who stood so tall and proud in the Big Red V jersey has left those of us who were fortunate enough to watch him play with so many, many wonderful memories . Peace be with you Norman .
Nicely put Gazz- I can honestly say that I have never heard a bad word about Norm. I wonder how many players of any era can claim that.

DynamicTed

Juniors
I can recall four images from the first game of rugby league that I ever saw, as a 10 year old, St George v Parramatta at the SCG on Saturday 15th August 1964....
the big crowd,
those magical white jerseys with their big red Vs,
the nuggety rotund Brian Clay with his receding hair,m tackling anything that moved, and,
the towering frame of a super-sized Norm Provan who seemed to be in everything, leading the Dragons to a 36 to nil victory.
I was thrilled to learn he was a local from my home town, Sutherland.

Old Timer

Coach
What an incredibly sad day for the mighty St George Club and it’s faithful fans.

Norm “Sticks” Provan’s sportsmanship, spirit and achievements is such an integral part of the heart and soul of the Big Red V

His achievements on the field are truly immortal and he rightly sat in his chair in his footy gear overseeing all things at the club

I remember like yesterday him bending over and putting his hand on my shoulder and taking my autograph book and signing it despite having been in gladiatorial combat for 80 minutes against the Rabbitohs

He commanded respect from the most elite playing group to ever be assembled at one time and did so for almost half of the great run as Captain / Coach.

The sad reality is it took so long for the NRL / ARL to recognise the most obvious fact as to who deserved to be an immortal but ever so glad it did happen in his lifetime.

I am ever so lucky to have seen him lead the “mighties” out onto the paddock many times and lift the JJ Giltinan Shield and do the victory lap at the SCG.

If ever an NRL player deserved the highest accolades and 3 cheers it was Sticks
Hip Hip Hooray
Hip Hip Hooray
Hip Hip Hooray

PS: No doubt he will be the Captain Coach of the best Saints side that heaven or hell for that matter can assemble

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This documentary goes for 45 mins but is well worth watching. Made in 1987, it has some excellent interviews with some of the greats including Norm Provan.

Interesting words from club official Alex Mackie. To paraphrase, he basically said that after the club won a few grand finals, they invested a good portion of the profits back into the football team.

Latest posts