What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norway RL

Kingbunny

Juniors
I'll wait for the updates, however it would be very interesting if he succeeds. If it is true, he is starting in the right place, at a school.

Also, having 70 to 80 pupils is about 5 or 6 teams, which is a competition in itself. Fingers crossed, good luck to him.

YANTO

Juniors
The guy is a Norwegian who moved to Australia when he was six and learned about league over there.
He returned to Norway at 16 years of age and now at 24 is teaching 11-13 year olds.
With beining in contact with this age group and also being a native Norweigen he is in the ideal position to have a genuine structure in place from the bottom up, which will be a first in any new country.
From what he tells me on his email the kids are responding very well and showing a great interest.
If he can succeed in 8-10 years time he will have senior game based on players playing from a young age and having League as their number one choice.

Lets wait and see but he sounds very sincere in what he is aiming to do.

otag

Juniors
YANTO said:
The guy is a Norwegian who moved to Australia when he was six and learned about league over there.
He returned to Norway at 16 years of age and now at 24 is teaching 11-13 year olds.
With beining in contact with this age group and also being a native Norweigen he is in the ideal position to have a genuine structure in place from the bottom up, which will be a first in any new country.
From what he tells me on his email the kids are responding very well and showing a great interest.
If he can succeed in 8-10 years time he will have senior game based on players playing from a young age and having League as their number one choice.

Lets wait and see but he sounds very sincere in what he is aiming to do.
on the other hand, that is very encouraging!

HelperMonkey

Juniors
As Yanto says, he is the perfect person to have involved doing this, and he is doing it from the best level. Kids will be naturally more open minded to taking up League and if they enjoy it, they will drag their parents to get involved and thus the web of support grows.

I wonder if he has made any contact with the RLEF, at least to register his plans with the likes of Kevin Rudd, and perhaps maybe spark interest of anyone else in the area who is into RL.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Should get in contact with the Norweigan Association at Griffith Gold Coast... a massive student population there, with many returning home after completion of their degrees.. could be of some help

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
DeludedPom, Justin seems to just be a young bloke who loves his footy and is interested in having a go.

If you want to ask him some questions, he is a moderator at LastTackle.com ... why not go there and have a look? I am sure they would appreciate any posts you made, and there is a 4 page thread which documents his increasing interest in setting up RL in Norway.

Things seem to be in very early stages, but if it works out then that's fantastic and if not, well at least he's had a crack (which is more that I've done here in Tassie ... and I suspect more than many of us have done).

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
langpark said:
Have you ever considered having a crack in Tassie?

I know it'd be a huge task.

Yes I have.

I played in the last full season down here (although I joined up late and so didn't play the full season). Then the league fell over, so that was that.

Then about 3 years ago, a bloke who I played touch with took it on himself to try to get league back up and running (it is his name and contact details on the Tassie RL web site). We had a meeting with some of the people who had previously been involved down here, and I offered to help him out both on the field and off. However he couldn't get the support he wanted out of the ARL (this was about 3 years ago, so budgets were still stretched from the SuperLeague fallout), and in the end nothing came of it. He has now moved back to Canberra, so that avenue is dead.

I am now getting a bit old to play (37 next month). I have 3 young sons, am working and studying, and the wife has a few problems, so I don't get much spare time out of the house at the moment (although I do spend way too much time posting on here). However in a couple of years when my boys get a bit older, I do intend to have a crack at getting something up and running if we are still here.

Lantana

Juniors
This wont amount to much.

Justin is saying he will lose his job in 2 months when the snow melts.

There will be nobody there to follow up.

Shame.

griff

Bench
Not really international forum topic, but on Tassie - I can't believe getting the comp back up and running isn't a major priority for the ARL.

Having RL played in every state of Australia is a pretty fundamental part of developing the game. Getting a development officer and a couple of pre-season NRL games in Hobart and Launceston couldn't be that hard.

YANTO

Juniors
Lantana said:

Shame.

As a relief teacher who lives in Norway whats to say he cant follow on with kids even if he does loose his job at that certain school.
I am not sure of his circumstances but to me a relief teacher covers for teachers that are absent so another placement in another school with another bunch of kids may be possible.

If he has @ 80 kids interested I am sure he will make an attempt (if he is seriuos) to keep them interested even if its out of school hours.

YANTO

Juniors
Lantana said:

Shame.

As a relief teacher who lives in Norway whats to say he cant follow on with kids even if he does loose his job at that certain school.
I am not sure of his circumstances but to me a relief teacher covers for teachers that are absent so another placement in another school with another bunch of kids may be possible.

If he has @ 80 kids interested I am sure he will make an attempt (if he is seriuos) to keep them interested even if its out of school hours.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Hope everything works out for the guy.

Good thing about being a relief teacher is he might get to 3 or 4 schools in 12 months, if he can get enough kids interested in the schools he goes too, he might be able to set up a comp between the schools.

Anyway, good luck to all you guys spreading the word.:)

Latest posts