What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NOT AGAIN!! Tim drinking already??/ Suspended indefinitely

fish eel

Immortal
How much of a duty of care do the club really have to their players? I think they do to a certain extent. But players also have a duty to the club. And they also employ managers who should have just as much a duty of care,if not more, than the clubs imo

Gronk

Staff member
It's not about Duty of Care. It's about compassion for a guy who needs help.

Bigfella

Coach
I haven't read too much of this thread but I want to say something about this.

Fitzy has admitted that Tim is an alcoholic. So if thats the case, how f**ken ridiculous was the punishment they handed down a week ago. The kid has an illness, a disease and to say "you can't drink for 12 months" is pointless and downright idiotic.

He cant stop folks. He cant. Doesn't know how, his mind wont let him. Why don't some of you understand that. HE CAN NOT STOP !!! Doesn't matter what threats you make about tearing up contracts, killing his firstborn, whatever- HE CAN'T STOP!!

That is what addiction is. He needs help and it appears he's getting it. It will take a long time to heal. Some never do !!!

Tearing up his contract will not cure his illness. Do you think when Mick Vella had cancer, that it would have gone away if we threatened to sack him? It may sound like a long bow but its not - they are both illnesses that need curing.

Will Tim drink again? Yes - of course he f**ken will. And again. And again too. Get used to it. Until he's cured completely (if he can be) then it wont stop.

Maybe we should all be a bit more understanding of the situation. He can't help it. His mind is making him do it and he can't stop. I hope the club do the right thing by him - sacking him will achieve nothing !!!!!

Sacking won't achieve anything in itself.

But will retaining him achieve anything? Did the last few disciplinary procedures achieve anything?

Maybe a "professional" football career is, as it was for Julian O'Neill, the worst thing for this kid?

It gives him an inflated sense of self worth, over pays him, leaves him with huge amounts of free time, the lure of fame and free drinks, the capacity and time to drink more, plus offers all of the additional pressures which possibly increase his urge to drink. Plus puts him in an environment with other young famous well paid blokes who seem to take every opportunity to get plastered themselves.

I put "professional" in inverted commas because for all our club likes to think they have an incredibly professional approach to training and facilities, several of his teammates have spent the offseason drinking heavily and in the public eye. Tim himself is meant to be recovering from injury. What would be the worst thing for an alcoholic recovering from injury attempting to get back on the professional football field?

Could it, possibly, be getting on the turps? When he does just that, what steps do the club put in place to monitor it and prevent it? None. What attitude do his senior teammates convey?

We are just coming across as a joint where you get paid real well to get on the turps and underachieve year in year out.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Firstly i dont know where to start....
I have know Timmy on a personal level now for around 4 years....

I for one will be in contact with him if to talk...

But seriously his team mates need to join together and help him out too! Everyone from Fitzy through to the hot dog guy needs to be positive and help him out. The eels had been to soft on him in the past. Whilst his past indiscretions have been minor there have been to many!

Piggy and finch have come out publicly saying they will do what they can for him not to be sacked. We need the rest of the boys to go in and bat for him...

I as a fan and friend dont want him sacked! I want him helped...i know he wants it. But talk is cheap and action needs to be done and needs to be harsh.
canberra did great things with carney and we need to take a similar stance.

Parra may get bagged out for not sacking him but this is a real eye opener for everyone involved and not involved...he does have a problem.

It is not about the footy at the moment...it is about the help needed! I for one will try to email parra and let them know what i think. Sure all these other fans from parra and other clubs can bag him, but it is easy to kick someone when they are down! It is harder to help them out...

I know i am rambling on but i could all day on this...

fish eel

Immortal
Gronk said:
It's not about Duty of Care. It's about compassion for a guy who needs help.

well no gronk, I see the two as seperate.

Duty of Care, which has been used by a few people, IMO implies responsibility to do something.

You can have no duty of care towards someone, yet that doesn't necessarily stop you from showing compassion and help somebody.

bartman

Immortal
True *Fishy*. But somehow I think players just pay these managers to maximise their earnings for them, and wouldn't readily accept any life advice from them?

But the duty of care people are asking the club to show to Tim is the one I'm suggesting that by the club allowing Tim to continue exactly as he is they would be doing Tim a disservice.

bartman

Immortal
O/T... God I hate listening to shock jock talkback radio waiting for any news updates :lol: Some of the opinions are ludicrous!

Gronk

Staff member
fish eel said:
well no gronk, I see the two as seperate.

Duty of Care, which has been used by a few people, IMO implies responsibility to do something.

You can have no duty of care towards someone, yet that doesn't necessarily stop you from showing compassion and help somebody.

Duty of Care implies a professional responsibility to do something.

The club certainly have no responsibilty to assist a wayward employee and his manager's job is to find him work and endorsements.

Having said that, and putting professional obligations aside, my view is that he needs help and it would be in the club's long term interests to assist him. Having Joey there right now would also be beneficial for Tim. At least Joey is someone he looks up to.

Avenger

Immortal
The only players contribution worth any weight is Hindmarsh's. He at least states that we should help Tim not just try and defend him and trivialise it like Finch and Riddell. Finch needs to realise that Tim made a promise and failed. He does not need to blame the member of the public. Secondly, Riddell is even a bigger dufus. He should really shut the f*ck up as I expect that he is one of the reasons why Tim cannot rid himself of his addiction.

The Colonel

Immortal
Timmah said:
If he leaves Parra, there's only really one team in Australia with the moolah to buy him. :)

And given past indiscretions at that club, probably the worst one for him to join.

newmanj

Juniors
It is refreshing to read some of the posts today. It seems that some of the hardliners that wanted Tim's (not Timmy, Sooper Dooper i have been told as it infers that he is a little boy) head yesterday have now moderated to appreciating that he needs help, and fast. I am hopeful that sanity will prevail and help will finally be on the way for TIMMY. I for one, would be pleased if he didnt play again until he is well on the road to recovery, and then can rebuild his career. He is most certainly capable of doing so, and i believe he will come out of this stronger for it. The sad fact is that alcoholism is a deadly disease, and left untreated will lead to an early grave.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Avenger said:
The only players contribution worth any weight is Hindmarsh's. He at least states that we should help Tim not just try and defend him and trivialise it like Finch and Riddell. Finch needs to realise that Tim made a promise and failed. He does not need to blame the member of the public. Secondly, Riddell is even a bigger dufus. He should really shut the f*ck up as I expect that he is one of the reasons why Tim cannot rid himself of his addiction.
totally agree...
Tim needs to get away and out of the pocket of riddell and Finch..
Sure yeh be mates but as far as going out, shouldnt happen!

The eels need to come together as a squad and sort this out! This is a pretty big thing...

The Colonel

Immortal
The big thing is though for Tim to get help he needs to admit he has a problem and want to get help. If he does that then he can recover........

fish eel

Immortal
Gronk said:
Duty of Care implies a professional responsibility to do something.

The club certainly have no responsibilty to assist a wayward employee and his manager's job is to find him work and endorsements.

Putting the kid on the right track would help the manager find better deals and endorsements IMO

Having said that, and putting professional obligations aside, my view is that he needs help and it would be in the club's long term interests to assist him. Having Joey there right now would also be beneficial for Tim. At least Joey is someone he looks up to.

I don't think anyone would say he doesn't need help.

I guess what many of us don't know is just what the club have done for him in the past and whether this could be considered a final straw. And then whether or not Tim wants help.

sooperdooper

First Grade
newmanj said:
It is refreshing to read some of the posts today. It seems that some of the hardliners that wanted Tim's (not Timmy, Sooper Dooper i have been told as it infers that he is a little boy) head yesterday have now moderated to appreciating that he needs help, and fast. I am hopeful that sanity will prevail and help will finally be on the way for TIMMY. I for one, would be pleased if he didnt play again until he is well on the road to recovery, and then can rebuild his career. He is most certainly capable of doing so, and i believe he will come out of this stronger for it. The sad fact is that alcoholism is a deadly disease, and left untreated will lead to an early grave.

So you attempt to bag me for calling him Timmy? Much like the rest of my peers and his peers do?

sooperdooper

First Grade
The Colonel said:
The big thing is though for Tim to get help he needs to admit he has a problem and want to get help. If he does that then he can recover........

i can tell you first hand he does

bartman

Immortal
Had to turn off 2UE while waiting for the news... couldn't stand that talk back radio, had forgotten what it's like!

Latest posts