What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NOT AGAIN!! Tim drinking already??/ Suspended indefinitely

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Colonel said:
And given past indiscretions at that club, probably the worst one for him to join.

While I can see where you're coming from, I can't see them letting him get away with anything. He would know too well he's on his last legs.

bluesbreaker

Bench
By all rights he should be sacked, but he won't. The joys of being a top notch junior with tonnes of potential. Hypocritical? Yeah. Would I like to see Mullen be sacked if he was continually doing dumb sh*t such as this? No. It happens that way.

bluesbreaker

Bench
However in saying that, I was happy that Tilse got the punt after what he allegedly done. Some Bathurst polices' heads should've rolled with the way they treated the poor girl allegedly involved as well.

muznik

Juniors
Well why we wait and see a couple of points:

Someone early here has stated their brother was present at one establishment and Tim wasnt drinking. (Heresay i know)

And Foxsport article contains the following:

Fitzgerald would not confirm reports that a club official had to pick up an intoxicated Smith from the Tollgate Hotel in Sydney's west early in the morning.

However, a hotel employee said the star player had not been on the premises.

“Tim Smith was never here,” he said.

So he wasnt drinking at one pub and wasnt even in the other !

The substantial evidence I suppose will come from the club rep who picked him up.

bartman

Immortal
The radio interview with Fitzy this morning confirmed that "the club" picked him up, in front of the Tollgate hotel at around 9am (before that establishment was open). The Tollgate hotel called the club when they turned up and saw the state Tim was in.

Bigfella

Coach
Yes fair enough too.

I think we have all made certain assumptions that we should wait to hear the final word from the club and their investigation on.

I have to say my posts were based on an assumption that the reports were accurate. If they were, it is obviously a pretty big concern that he can't last one week on a fully year alcohol ban and his last chance.

If they are not, I will apologise! Not as much as say the Daily Telegraph may have to!

Pedro Collins

Juniors
Smith suspended indefinitely

December 14, 2007 TROUBLED Parramatta halfback Tim Smith has been suspended indefinitely by the Eels, after repeated alcohol-fuelled incidents.

The player remains on contract with the club, and Parrammata say the most important issue is his health...

He has now booked himself into full time rehab interstate.

Smith has been involved in several alcohol-related off-field dramas in recent seasons and the club warned him just last week to stay off the drink or he'd be sacked.

Parramatta CEO Dennis Fitzgerald has confirmed Smith was seen intoxicated yesterday morning but says he won't lose his contract.

Teammates Mark Riddell and Brett Finch had urged the club not to get rid of him, but to help him get back on track.

More to follow.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22923430-23214,00.html

Bigfella

Coach
Couldn't agree more Hellsy.

I also think Kris Keating would get picked before Trent, (or Burt Hayne or Inu into the halves even),

Trent is nowhere near ready for first grade IMO.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I agree, help the kid, dont abandon him like some here were saying, alcahol is a drug and it is addictive. How ever, I do not think that the kid is addicted, I just think he is BEING A KID and having a drink. He did however break his word which needs to be delt with.

bartman

Immortal
Brett Finch just called 2UE, wasn't aware of the outcome yet but was just sticking up for Tim.

Gronk

Staff member
Well there are 25 pages here of people who wanted him sacked. You all must be very disappointed.

bradeel

Juniors
I applaud the club wholeheartedly on this move.

He has acted way too irresponsibly here for this just to be the stupidity or petulance of youth that some would argue he has shown. He clearly has a problem and the club is showing some duty of care which is good to see.

Furthermore, like many of you have suggested, he would be a big chance of coming back to bite us on the a*se at another club if we simply shredded the contract.

Nickeel

Juniors
Timmah said:
While I can see where you're coming from, I can't see them letting him get away with anything. He would know too well he's on his last legs.

Last legs? Or legless?

Best of luck, Timmy (not you, Timmah - unless you're also battling alcoholism). Addiction is not fun and not easy to combat. Takes a strong will. I hope you get there.

Nick