What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NOT AGAIN!! Tim drinking already??/ Suspended indefinitely

I think there is a Drinking Culture, or at least a social drinking in public culture, and it has become more prevalent since Smiths tenure was effectively over (end of 05). With Players more open to flaunting the system and some don't understand and or don't want the responsibilities they have as representatives of this club.

But if you are talking about a Drinking Culture where after every Training Session and any time you can you go have a drink. I don't think so.

Tim has a Problem, and is seeking help. Did the club Culture Cause the problem. No I think he would have had this regardless, did it encourage it along, Almost certainly.

The Colonel

Immortal
Fathead said:
Its no wonder that Finch and Riddell were the blokes who were so vocal about his retention as they are two of the biggest boofheads there.

I don't think that is true at all. They are two of the more publicised boofheads when drinking is involved but I don't think they tower over anyone else in the team in that respect.

eelz47

Coach
fish eel said:
Before we do that, I'd love to hear some talk come out of our club about what they intend on doing to end to drinking culture that IMO clearly exists.

i think the club is trying, they have stopped going to a pub for after match drinks last year

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
How dumb are the daily telegraph...they have as a title eels axe wayward star...then right smith suspended. Make up your mind

sooperdooper

First Grade
MarkInTheStands said:
I think there is a Drinking Culture, or at least a social drinking in public culture, and it has become more prevalent since Smiths tenure was effectively over (end of 05). With Players more open to flaunting the system and some don't understand and or don't want the responsibilities they have as representatives of this club.

But if you are talking about a Drinking Culture where after every Training Session and any time you can you go have a drink. I don't think so.

Tim has a Problem, and is seeking help. Did the club Culture Cause the problem. No I think he would have had this regardless, did it encourage it along, Almost certainly.

i agree and disagree...there is a binge drinking problem with us young ones today (i am a person who falls into it).... it is heavily involved in NRL and AFL as well. I dont think there is a 'culture' problem but a discipline problem. To many have pushed the boundries to far!
We need the EELS to meet with the players as a group and knuckle down on them... then meet each player indiviaully as well and work things out! It is the only way to fix it...

Nothing 'too serious' has happened in recent times. But to many minor problems = one big mess

lewiscook

Juniors
the word out is that tim smith has played his last game..is this true??
even thou he is suspended indefinitly, i doubt he still even wonts to play wit parrra

forward pass

Coach
marshall stalin said:
So he will back by round 1- gees if a normal person did this they would have sacked the first time not given unlimited chances as this bloke has been.

He is a normal person you tool !! You know one with problems and frailties just like you and me !!!

Gronk

Staff member
Originally Posted by fish eel
Before we do that, I'd love to hear some talk come out of our club about what they intend on doing to end to drinking culture that IMO clearly exists.

I think you're out of touch Fish. Many, many males have issues with binge drinking. It's a fact of society. To say that there is a drinking culture at our club suggests that the behavior of players getting pissed like Tim is unique to the Eels. Clearly that's not the case.

Tim has checked himself into a clinic because he drinks to excess too often. Yes he has a problem but geeze wouldn't the clinic be crowded if every kid with his alcohol habits did the same.

I wonder what Booney thinks of all this given his 52 cans mid-flight effort.

fish eel

Immortal
Gronk said:
I think you're out of touch Fish. Many, many males have issues with binge drinking. It's a fact of society. To say that there is a drinking culture at our club suggests that the behavior of players getting pissed like Tim is unique to the Eels. Clearly that's not the case.

Tim has checked himself into a clinic because he drinks to excess too often. Yes he has a problem but geeze wouldn't the clinic be crowded if every kid with his alcohol habits did the same.

I wonder what Booney thinks of all this given his 52 cans mid-flight effort.

No I wouldn't say unique for Parramatta, but regarded as acceptable by players. Comments by Riddell and Finch in the paper would seem to back that up.

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
No I wouldn't say unique for Parramatta, but regarded as acceptable by players. Comments by Riddell and Finch in the paper would seem to back that up.

I'm not sure you could account that just to the current crop..... as high a regard as we hold our past greats if you read the books by Kenny, Sterling and Price there is enough infortmation in there to suggest that it has long existed....

Gronk

Staff member
fish eel said:

Facts are that a huge proportion of the young male population get hammered 2/3 times a week. They and their mates would think it's perfectly acceptable. No difference here really.

fish eel

Immortal
Gronk said:
Facts are that a huge proportion of the young male population get hammered 2/3 times a week. They and their mates would think it's perfectly acceptable. No difference here really.

Which doesn't make it a good thing or right.

Nor does it make it acceptable for such a culture to thrive in what is supposed to be a professional sports environment.

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
I'm not sure you could account that just to the current crop..... as high a regard as we hold our past greats if you read the books by Kenny, Sterling and Price there is enough infortmation in there to suggest that it has long existed....

Of course Colonel, but I think times have changed, the sport is much more professional nowdays, more money is involved and players have a greater spotlight on them.

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
Of course Colonel, but I think times have changed, the sport is much more professional nowdays, more money is involved and players have a greater spotlight on them.

Most definitely. Thing was I was just trying to point out how deap seated that culture would be.

Ironic though that the NRL and clubs are trying bto stamp out the drinking culture that exists yet they have major sponsors such as Carlton Breweries, Castlemain Perkins and Bundaberg.

Bigfella

Coach
not sure you could account that just to the current crop..... as high a regard as we hold our past greats if you read the books by Kenny, Sterling and Price there is enough infortmation in there to suggest that it has long existed....

I strongly disagree with that Colonel.

Brett Kenny rarely got on the drink after games.

Ray Price reportedly avoided what was then a standard practice of drinking after training; his wife in his book attributes that to his attitude to training ie that it was pointless to train if you just fileld yourself full of grog.

And none of them were out causing scenes or getting as intoxicated as Finch in particular has done this offseason - and I have had several reports from the Eastern Suburbs and Melboune about that. And what about Riddell; glassed in a pub in Bondi, tracking down Taylor's Rothmans Medal in the cross late at night etc etc

They are nowhere near as professional as those blokes you have mentioned were.

strider

Post Whore
mind you we do hear/read/find out alot more about what goes on these days - the information overload age

The Colonel

Immortal
Bigfella said:
I strongly disagree with that Colonel.

Brett Kenny rarely got on the drink after games.

Ray Price reportedly avoided what was then a standard practice of drinking after training; his wife in his book attributes that to his attitude to training ie that it was pointless to train if you just fileld yourself full of grog.

And none of them were out causing scenes or getting as intoxicated as Finch in particular has done this offseason - and I have had several reports from the Eastern Suburbs and Melboune about that. And what about Riddell; glassed in a pub in Bondi, tracking down Taylor's Rothmans Medal in the cross late at night etc etc

They are nowhere near as professional as those blokes you have mentioned were.

While they weren't as professional they certainly weren't angels and just because we never heard about it doesn't mean that it never happened. They had jobs so they never had the same amount of time on their hands that todays footballers did either. Doesn't mean they drank any harder - just less often. The big thing is we never heard as much of what happened back then because it just didn't sell the newspapers it does now.

Countless stories about Kangaroo tours from that era that involved excess alcohol and it was a more regular part of team bonding than it is now.

Latest posts