What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not again

Nuffy

Bench
The issue of injuries absolutely drives me nuts, EVERY single year we are hit with massive amounts of injuries.

The team hasn't played a permiership game and already we are seven players down.

Can anyone remember a game when we haven't picked up an injury or three? We are cursed or we have assembled the greatest collection of injury prone players in the history of professional sport.

Seven Knights to miss first game
By Stuart Honeysett
March 1, 2005

NEWCASTLE coach Michael Hagan has conceded the Knights will be under much pressure from the start of the season after confirmation that five-eighth Kurt Gidley, prop Josh Perry and utility Riley Brown have joined a growing casualty list.

The trio will miss the opening game against Melbourne, which is a blow given Danny Buderus (foot), Daniel Abraham (ankle), David Seage (knee) and Clint Newton (suspension) are also unavailable.

"This just adds a bit more pressure in the first round or two," Hagan said last night.

"You always want to be at your strongest don't you, but we knew that we weren't going to be anyway," Hagan said.

"Every year I've been here we've had four or five blokes unavailable at the start ... so I'm used to that by now."

Perry is arguably the most serious concern. The former NSW prop requires more scans today to determine the extent of a wrist injury.

He had X-rays after last Saturday night's trial against Cronulla which cleared him of any break but he has sustained some ligament damage.

"He needs a scan to determine what type of damage he's done to his wrist," Hagan said.

Brown will also require further scans today after hyper-extending his elbow and is expected to be sidelined for at least three weeks.

The news was slightly better for Gidley, who will miss round one against the Storm with torn quadriceps but could return for the club's next away assignment against Canberra.

Anthony Quinn (shoulder) and George Carmont (calf) should play against Melbourne

We must be without doubt the most unlucky or poorly prepared team in the comp.

This is not the way to start the year!

Nuffy

Bench
I heard a comment last year that it was mid 2002 since the Knights had fielded their best team.

And it seems that its going to be a while before we can field a team that is anywhere near full strength.

Also considering the hash that was made of our recruitment last year, our depth has never been thinner which will only amplify the problem.

Lets hope Hagan takes the opportunity to give Tighe a go!

B-dos

Referee
The paper yesterday said that Kurt Gidley did his quad or hamstring or whatever it was on the first kick off of the game. I dont understand how they dont go out onto the field fully stretched and warm so that this type of thing doesnt happen. Surely someone is to blame. Conditioning staff perhaps? I really think that there is something wrong with our staff and has been for a few years now...

Genghis Chan

Juniors
Sometimes it can have to do with the conditioning of the team. A few years ago Melbourne had a terrible run of injuries under Mark Murray. Since Craig Bellamy came to town with a new coaching staff, there have been a few less of those avoidable injuries. Some just can't be prevented and are freak accidents, but other minor injuries that see players out for 1-2 weeks to start with, then come back for a few before going out for a few more weeks, which are preventable often have to do with coaching and conditioning. Other injuries like Broken bones, or like what happened to Melbourne's Steve Turner in the trial game - John Buttigeg I think it was trot his 117kg frame on his foot the wrong way and now he's gone for 6 months with a dislocated foot. Or like wjat's his names injury against Parramatta last year, you know the guy I'm talking about, those injuries can't be prevented.

m0j0

Bench
Lord Reynoldson said:
Or like wjat's his names injury against Parramatta last year, you know the guy I'm talking about, those injuries can't be prevented.

I think What's-His-Name's injury might have been due to old age. At that age, muscles are very weak and tend to break easily. You get other problem's like osteoporosis and liver failure also. In fact, I'm surprised he's still got his own teeth.

Hell Bitch

Juniors
Make no mistake, the Knights will be the "easybeats" of the 2005 season.

I can see it in the dressing room,

Hagan: "excuse me..... Boozey, Kurt, Josh, could you guys do some warm-up exercises please...........please guys..............guys c,mon. ........ #-o

Nuffy

Bench
Who let the trolls out, woof - woof!

Matt23

Staff member
#-o at least 2 of those are off contract, expect one of them to pull his finger out and the other can :arrow:

Hell Bitch

Juniors
Lighten up Nuffy. I think Knights supporters are going to have to embrace their sense of humour this year.

Nuke

Staff member
I can't remember the actual details of how I worked this out, but I worked out mid-last year that the last time the Knights fielded a full-strength line-up was the 2001 Grand Final.

Hang on, Alby didn't play because of his ankle. Bugger. That blows that theory outta the water!

Misanthrope

Staff member
Lighten up Nuffy. I think Knights supporters are going to have to embrace their sense of humour this year

As one of LU's more experienced trolls, I'd have expected better from you HB. I mean, what happened to originality? What happened to love of the craft?

Matt23

Staff member
Sense of humour, maybe, but we still dont have to put up with inane trolls :roll:

Phillips

Referee
chriswalkerbush said:
knights for wooden spoon

Jesus, and I was down on Hell Bitch for her lack of creativity....

nah, to be honest i think the Knights will do pretty good this year and if thats the case

Sharks for wooden spoon :lol:

Latest posts