What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not getting ahead of ourselves but….

Crush

Coach
I don’t think it’s going to take much to turn this ship around.
Remaining 2023 games, forget the results, learn to believe again. Unlearn the conservative borefest football tactics that Hook instilled in the team. Results don’t matter but a good finish will see us avoid the bottom 4 and knock off a few top 8 teams at the back end, be a team that nobody wants to play coming into finals.
Announce Jason Ryles as head coach for 2024 so he can start recruiting.
2024 a rebuild of sorts but I’m confident that if we can add a decent 2, 6, 10 next year to this team, we will be playing finals.
2025 - 2026 premiership window opens and all the misery of Price, Mary, Hook years will be a distant memory. Our kids will be proud to be dragons again.
Feeling positive.

Illusion

Bench
Let's not get ahead of ourselves , it was a great win , but we were 10 seconds away from 7 straight losses ...... The team needs to address the halves don’t know how to close out a game , the fade outs , but in saying that it seemed to me the shackles were off and the attack and defence seemed better at stages , and the coaches enthusiasm was infectious ...... One step at a time now to the big build over the next 3 years ....... Go the Saints ......

Old Timer

Coach
I posted this in the other place but is also applicable here.

I am very happy for the win and good luck to the team for showing up in a most difficult set of circumstances.

My take on last nights game

1. The Roosters are playing very poorly and suffering due to lack of quality depth so our win needs to be taken in context.
2. We rely heavily on individual effort and have very little if any constructive team play.
3. Our plucky win is as a result of a f**ked up last play and kick by Hunt and for once we got lucky at the oppositions expense. Unfortunately for Hook that never happened on his watch but it could easily have been so. Funny how poor execution against the Tigpies was put down to Hook and not the players when in fact it was all on the players.
4. If we played like we did last night against the Panthers or Storm we get beaten by plenty and that is the reality that we need to understand.
5. There are plenty of shortfalls in the skills of many of our players and I'm not positive that they will get that much better under another coach so best we be careful about talking players up like we usually do.
6. TBH other than getting the win things were pretty much as they were under Hook save for the very good point made elsewhere that at the end the risk was taken to try and win the game and the consequences of losing as a result of that play were ignored.
7. Of course last night there was a greater sense of camaraderie and a we did play with a bit more freedom.
8. The injection of Liddle as the starting hooker just confirmed how poor the Mybe decision at 9 actually was but confirmed what we knew is that Liddle starting = more chance of wiining.
9. So in the end team selection and players playing in correct position had more to do with the result than anything else.
10. As I said I am glad for the team and for Carr and look forward to watching over the next few weeks to see if last night is a turning point or is it just a hiccup in what is still a very sad situation.

Crush

Coach

I am very happy for the win and good luck to the team for showing up in a most difficult set of circumstances.

1. The Roosters are playing very poorly and suffering due to lack of quality depth so our win needs to be taken in context.
2. We rely heavily on individual effort and have very little if any constructive team play.
3. Our plucky win is as a result of a f**ked up last play and kick by Hunt and for once we got lucky at the oppositions expense. Unfortunately for Hook that never happened on his watch but it could easily have been so. Funny how poor execution against the Tigpies was put down to Hook and not the players when in fact it was all on the players.
4. If we played like we did last night against the Panthers or Storm we get beaten by plenty and that is the reality that we need to understand.
5. There are plenty of shortfalls in the skills of many of our players and I'm not positive that they will get that much better under another coach so best we be careful about talking players up like we usually do.
6. TBH other than getting the win things were pretty much as they were under Hook save for the very good point made elsewhere that at the end the risk was taken to try and win the game and the consequences of losing as a result of that play were ignored.
7. Of course last night there was a greater sense of camaraderie and a we did play with a bit more freedom.
8. The injection of Liddle as the starting hooker just confirmed how poor the Mybe decision at 9 actually was but confirmed what we knew is that Liddle starting = more chance of wiining.
9. So in the end team selection and players playing in correct position had more to do with the result than anything else.
10. As I said I am glad for the team and for Carr and look forward to watching over the next few weeks to see if last night is a turning point or is it just a hiccup in what is still a very sad situation.
Buzz kill.

Anon

Bench
Last nights win was really no different to the other five games this year we've lost having scored the same number of tries or more than the opposition. Goal kicking was the difference and a bit of luck going our way for a change. We were certainly due for some.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Of course the result could have easily gone the other way, BUT it didn't.

That's the point.

As lucky as that last try was , it took of one the fastest one-on-one strip by Teddy to put us behind.

If a win like that can just unite the players then we stand a decent chance of avoiding the spoon. Heck, we may even just win a few on the trot.

Im still enjoying the win, knowing full well the job has only just started, but started it has.

Last edited:

Gippsy

Bench

Thanks OT. Good post and very true.

We did muscle up though, especially in the first half and we should have been leading 20-0 at half time if we take the 2 and Amone/Sloan don't bomb the break just before HT. The start to the second half was dreadful though and similar to the same crap we have been dishing up in the last 5-6 games.

But, still going to enjoy this win. The cheer that went up in my household when Feagai went over could have been heard miles away. Hopefully we can build on it.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Its great to see some optimism back in the forum, however personally I think our team is a long way off being a consistent finals footy appearing team or to have a premiership window. I hate to burst anyone's bubble but a couple of reasons why I believe this is:

1) If this group of players including the juniors are as good as some think, they would've won plenty more games over the past seasons in spite of the coaching. The poor win/loss record over the recent past isn't just down to coaching, the players are responsible for it too and it highlights the bigger issue that our cattle isn't anywhere it needs to be.

2) With all the hype on our youngsters over the past few years, we've already seen they have deficiencies both big and small in their games and some won't be good first graders. When was the last time we actually produced a junior that went on to play for NSW/Australia? I can't think of any in the past 5 years at least, correct me if I am wrong. When Brownie was our coach in the 2000s we produced a lot more juniors of quality who went on to play for NSW/Australia and were part of the 2010 premiership winning team. Sadly to me this shows our grass roots system has been grossly neglected for the best part of a decade or more now. We will see the majority of the current rookies won't be up to it and that will then mean we will continue to be plagued with the same issues with squad talent and depth that we've had over the recent past.

Having said all of the above, I believe the way forward will be to overhaul our management and have two very good heads of recruitment and pathways and to ensure they stay in these positions for 5-10 years so we can rebuild the above two things with enough success to sustain some great long term results for our team. It will be a long road ahead I feel.

Dragon David

First Grade
Unfortunately with the Tigers thrashing the Cowboys tonight, they are ahead on for and against on the ladder so we are running second last again with the Dogs currently last. However, if the Dogs beat the Titans tomorrow, we will be last after this weekend. Next week, the Tigers and the Dogs get their byes, so we will need to beat the Dolphins by quite a few points.

It is going to be neck and neck for the wooden spoon.

kit66

Bench
Hard to get ahead of yourself when you're bottom of the ladder two weeks off the halfway mark of the season.
The only reason we're not dead last is the 2 bye points keeping us ahead of the Dogs. But, if the Tigers can come out and put 66 on the Cows surely we can string together a couple of wins.
Starting Liddle and having very few injuries helps and of course a new coach to help the boys change their style of play could prove fruitful. We were so close in 5 of our 6 recent losses, now with a bit of self belief maybe we start winning those close ones. Still a lot of errors and the effing refs, geezus we need Carr to start speaking up about that. Serial offender Radley stays on the field for a head butt but Sullivan was sent the week before for being under a player who was clearly holding onto Sloan and milking it big time.
First we need to get away from Spoon territory, we can't have that sh*t, we fans have suffered enough.

Dragon David

First Grade
Hard to get ahead of yourself when you're bottom of the ladder two weeks off the halfway mark of the season.
The only reason we're not dead last is the 2 bye points keeping us ahead of the Dogs. But, if the Tigers can come out and put 66 on the Cows surely we can string together a couple of wins.
Starting Liddle and having very few injuries helps and of course a new coach to help the boys change their style of play could prove fruitful. We were so close in 5 of our 6 recent losses, now with a bit of self belief maybe we start winning those close ones. Still a lot of errors and the effing refs, geezus we need Carr to start speaking up about that. Serial offender Radley stays on the field for a head butt but Sullivan was sent the week before for being under a player who was clearly holding onto Sloan and milking it big time.
First we need to get away from Spoon territory, we can't have that sh*t, we fans have suffered enough.
Yes kit66. Looking ominous with the results so far this weekend. We need the Titans to beat the Bulldogs first and we can have a little breather and hope that we can beat the Dolphins who will want to fire up after the Dragons beating them earlier this year and getting beaten by the Storm easily at the moment.

TheRev

First Grade
It was hooks selections with MBye/Lomax that robbed us of 4 or 6 points I reckon in those soft games, self-sabotage... now were going to have to do it the hard way to stay clear of the spoon. The Tigers game was a 4pt turn-around also.

So if the Tigers keep winning games.. we are in strife.. now we are relying on the Cowboys (who flogged us & are full of rep players) and the Dogs, who could easily go on a run if they get their guns back. This is a very uncool situation.. because as optimistic as we might be about us doing 20% better without Hook.. there are no easy beats for us to rely on.. we will have to get consistently much better.. much more than just 20%... just to avoid being last.

Parko1310

Juniors
There is nothing wrong with roosters depth. Example ...Nathan Brown comes in from reserve grade and was probably their best forward.
Nathan Brown is absolute mud in terms of playing level. Corey Allan occasionally sits on the roosters’ bench. Turpin made their starting side. Ben Thomas and Terrell May play often in first grade. If that doesn’t show you a lack of depth in that side I don’t know what will. The roosters have a lot of quality players, but have invested their whole cap in an unbelievably elite 17. Injuries and suspensions kill them. Plus their “stars” aren’t hitting their straps. Their depth is a massive issue for them, if not the main issue.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Nathan Brown is absolute mud in terms of playing level. Corey Allan occasionally sits on the roosters’ bench. Turpin made their starting side. Ben Thomas and Terrell May play often in first grade. If that doesn’t show you a lack of depth in that side I don’t know what will. The roosters have a lot of quality players, but have invested their whole cap in an unbelievably elite 17. Injuries and suspensions kill them. Plus their “stars” aren’t hitting their straps. Their depth is a massive issue for them, if not the main issue.
I do agree with you Parko, but Terrell may is a pretty damn good forward from what I've seen. He couldn't possibly do worse than many of their other forwards

Jersey No 14

Juniors
I say don’t get ahead of our selves. Don’t sign Ryles like we did Price, McGreggor and Hook.
Don’t make any rash decisions and stuff up our next five years.
I’ve heard Carr speak a few times now and he has impressed.
just maybe we have the right coach as apposed to a name coach.
Remember Ryles has a good consistent record of being a bonehead.
And five years. - for me 3 AT BEST!!!
Baby steps. Our management also have a consistent track of bonehead decisions

Crush

Coach
Yes kit66. Looking ominous with the results so far this weekend. We need the Titans to beat the Bulldogs first and we can have a little breather and hope that we can beat the Dolphins who will want to fire up after the Dragons beating them earlier this year and getting beaten by the Storm easily at the moment.
David, Kit, gents it’s only round 12. Let’s start to worry about the spoon if we are last in round 20. Plenty of time to climb out of danger.
We still play Tigers, Manly, Knights, Warriors a couple of times. Early days.