What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not happy with channel 9 and foxtel re WCC

Dutchy

Immortal
Rugby League fans across Australia will be able to watch the World Club Challenge between Manly Sea Eagles and Leeds Rhinos live from 5am EDST after Channel 9 supported a request to broadcast the match on FOX SPORTS.

The match to determine the best Rugby League club side in the world will be broadcast live on FOX SPORTS 3 from 5am on Monday, March 2.

Channel 9 will broadcast delayed coverage of the match later that night.

“This is a great result for Rugby League fans and I must thank Channel 9 and FOX SPORTS for their co-operation in enabling this match to be broadcast live,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.

“This will be the last chance for Manly fans to watch their side play before Round 1 of the Telstra Premiership, which is now just three weeks away.”

The World Club Challenge between the Sea Eagles and Rhinos in Leeds will kick-off on Sunday, March 1, at 6pm (local time).

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD CLUB CHALLENGE @ MANLY LEAGUES CLUB
- Manly Sea Eagles v Leeds Rhinos on Monday 2 March @ 5am.
- The game will be shown live on Fox3 at 5am.
- The Club will open at 4.30am and breakfast will be available

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/message-board-detail.asp?mbid=119503&s=0

Dogs Of War

Coach
Finally someone with sense to all those people who say just get foxtel somepeople may not be able to afford it- i just hope if your team plays in the future in the WCC and you dont have foxtel at that time you dont come complaining back - thank you Loudstrat finally someone who makes & to all those posters who are saying " just get foxtel its the answer"

True that. I dumped foxtel because I only ever watched Rugby League on it. Nothing else interested me. I think I can get by watching the matches from the Bigpond website the next day.

Danish

Referee
So 9 are not showing it at 5am so that they can show it at 12am the next day.....

Makes a whole heap of sense. no doubt the telecast will go for 2 hours with a whole truckload of ads thrown in.

innsaneink

Referee

Was quite a different and unique experience to be toddling off to Wests Ashfield, leaving home at about 6am to ''go to the footy''.
Brekky in the club with friends and a few hundred other supporters before the game live on the big screen....only downer was the result.
A Bulls fan from Bradford joined our forum specifically to discuss this game and offered six or so members that couldnt attend a programme....I was one of the lucky ones, thats RL fans for you.

jed

First Grade
Was quite a different and unique experience to be toddling off to Wests Ashfield, leaving home at about 6am to ''go to the footy''.
Brekky in the club with friends and a few hundred other supporters before the game live on the big screen....only downer was the result.
A Bulls fan from Bradford joined our forum specifically to discuss this game and offered six or so members that couldnt attend a programme....I was one of the lucky ones, thats RL fans for you.
I couldn't go to that game, had to watch it on 9 like the rest of us Aussies, but I had a Bulls/Tigers WCC scarf sent over to me with a program, kinda dulled the pain of not getting there myself

Knightmare

Coach
This is exactly the problem with a giant multinational media company owning 50% of our sport. We might call it progress when crowds are up, Gallop might call it progress publicly.

But you'd better believe it, the people pulling the strings would call "progress" a game in which nobody attends, and everybody subscribes to Foxtel.

That was all Superleague was ever about, yet 14 years on there are still people on these very forums still blindly proclaiming that it was all about "progress" or even that it was the right way to go...

sydraider

First Grade
This is exactly the problem with a giant multinational media company owning 50% of our sport. We might call it progress when crowds are up, Gallop might call it progress publicly.

But you'd better believe it, the people pulling the strings would call "progress" a game in which nobody attends, and everybody subscribes to Foxtel.

That was all Superleague was ever about, yet 14 years on there are still people on these very forums still blindly proclaiming that it was all about "progress" or even that it was the right way to go...

If it wasnt for the ARL pumping so much money into Paul (The Bus Driver ) Harragon, your club was pretty much signed sealed and delivered to superleague, Im sure the chief felt he had to take the moral highground after being paid all that money.

The "war" was about Pay tv rights nothing else, if the ARL wasnt run by such a boys club at the time, then perhaps News wouldnt have had to take the stance they did.

The question still remains though.... What the f**k do channel 9 have on a monday morning thats so important they cant televise this game?

Danish

Referee
The Today Show.....

The blue rinse brigade need their 6am wake up call from Stefonovich :sarcasm:

jed

First Grade
Exactly what effect will be felt on the crowd size of this game, whether it's shown live on Ch 9 or on Fox Sports?

Knightmare

Coach
For an overseas game such as this, obviously nothing. Although FTA audiences have been dudded. But the regular domestic season is another story altogether.

parano1a

Juniors
The Today Show will far outrate a rugby league game nationally. But Nine could at least show the game on NineHD and stick with Today on SD.

Loudstrat

Coach
Anyone know when the game will be broadcast on 9?

They are still advertising a midnight Harlequins game on Sunday!

jed

First Grade
Anyone know when the game will be broadcast on 9?

They are still advertising a midnight Harlequins game on Sunday!
Considering the game's not even being played until Monday morning our time, I'm not surprised :lol:

Green Machine

First Grade
I think Rugby League has got the short straw again. I can understand Channel 9 not wanting to interrupt their morning news programs, but I noticed over the weekend Golf and AFL was broadcasted on different digital channels on 7 and 10.

Nuke

Staff member
Perth isn't getting it at all it seems (according to today's weekly tv guide). They have stopped showing the ESL games for the time being too. Regional WA gets the ESL games through WIN, and at midnight Monday night, the tv book says WIN are showing Leeds vs Celtic, but I'd guess that's a typo and it's meant to be Leeds vs Manly. Luckily I have a satellite and can watch these, but just about everyone else in Perth can't see these games on free-to-air tv, which in my opinion is sh*t.

Ch9 do this every year here, and I am sick of it.