What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not happy with channel 9 and foxtel re WCC

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
As pointed out, SelecTV don't have Fox Sports. Their "basic" package is only $37.95, compared with $40 for Foxtel. Looking at what channels you've got for that price, I'd definitely be coughing up the extra $2.05 per month. As for the contract, it's up to you whether you really want Pay TV or not.

Foxtel

SelecTV

Getting back on topic, for everyone whinging about missing this game beacuse you don't have Foxtel, give yourself an uppercut - you miss out on NRL games all through the season for the same reason, why whinge now when it's (according to some in this thread) "a nothing game"?

Because some of us refuse to pay Fox's inflated price hikes for sh!te! It should have been on 9!

adamkungl

Immortal
Getting back on topic, for everyone whinging about missing this game beacuse you don't have Foxtel, give yourself an uppercut - you miss out on NRL games all through the season for the same reason, why whinge now when it's (according to some in this thread) "a nothing game"?

a) Some of us actually like seeing the 2 premiers play each other.
b) Last year I was not getting 5/8 NRL matches. Last year I was getting the WCC live. This year I am not getting 5/8 NRL matches, same as last. This year I am not getting the WCC live, which I was last year. Also, those matches I miss, I can watch at the pub or a mates place. Are you seriously suggesting one of these options at 5am?

How hard is it to comprehend that less FTA = bad for a lot of people?

adamkungl

Immortal
Are you seriously suggesting that the majority of people who watch league DONT have Foxtel?

I'd have thought the saturation of Foxtel for league fans was in excess of 50%

I decided that this can't be proven either way. Could always try a poll on LU.
BUT its irrelevant anyway. whether 40% or 60% of League fans have foxtel, a lot are still missing out, and who is gaining anything from it? I can't see why anyone would defend this decision, I see no positives. Those who already have fox watch on a different channel, and those who don't completely miss out until the score has probably been told to them.

warren

Juniors
I decided that this can't be proven either way. Could always try a poll on LU.
BUT its irrelevant anyway. whether 40% or 60% of League fans have foxtel, a lot are still missing out, and who is gaining anything from it? I can't see why anyone would defend this decision, I see no positives. Those who already have fox watch on a different channel, and those who don't completely miss out until the score has probably been told to them.

if THAT many people would be missing out on the game dont you think channel nine would play it to benefit from this large audience?

and have you never avoided the radio and tv to get a score when you watch a delayed forecast? I feel like people are being overly sensetive when this happens every single week in the NRL!

adamkungl

Immortal
if THAT many people would be missing out on the game dont you think channel nine would play it to benefit from this large audience?

and have you never avoided the radio and tv to get a score when you watch a delayed forecast? I feel like people are being overly sensetive when this happens every single week in the NRL!

I'm still yet to hear a SINGLE positive to come from this. Just people being defensive seemingly for the sake of it...

It obviously isn't an enormous audience, its 5am for gods sake. But wtf else is on at 5am. I don't know how many people watch the WCC, but i'm guessing a fair few thousand like myself will miss out. Its another example of TV stations giving League fans the middle finger.

And I wish people would stop making ridiculous comparisons to the NRL. NRL games are delayed by an hour or two, not the whole day. A lot longer to completely avoid media coverage.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would Ch9 not show it? I really can't unerstand given,a s said nothing is on at that time anyway. Very strange decision, but not unexpected for Ch9!

Danish

Referee
The reason why people are "whinging" about this particular game being on fox is because it has historically always been on Channel 9. Given its early start there is no reason 9 not to continue showing it, and the only reason Fox would be showing it is because 9 sold the rights to them (those who actually think Ch9 don't own the rights to this game are kidding themselves).

They took a game that has always been a FTA match and moved it to pay TV.

This is different to all those other games people without pay TV miss out on, because there has really never been more than 3 games of footy ever broadcast on FTA in the first place. Non foxtel subscribers aren't getting anything taken away from them, they are simply not gaining.

bartman

Immortal
The reason why people are "whinging" about this particular game being on fox is because it has historically always been on Channel 9.
Fair enough, didn't realise they had a record of showing it live on FTA in recent years.

Looks like 9 decided not to this year, and no-one could/can force them to do anything under the current contracts... Foxtel came to the party for the live feed, which is better than nothing I suppose. Especially since Foxtel have nothing to do with SL this season.

Danish

Referee
Every year at least since the Roosters was shown on Ch9. Makes sense given the games are always played at an ungodly hour so there is little else that they have to show.

I'd guarantee there wouldn't be a higher rating programme on at 5am than the WCC, given the only reason people watch TV at such hours is generally for live sport coverage.

Loudstrat

Coach
Great news, all the country can see it live now!
Dumb twat no. 1

every1 has fox sports 1,2 and 3, surely.
Dumb Twat No. 2

Fair dinkum, just get Foxtel. For all those complaining about the expense, you CAN save money elsewhere to justify it, whether it be smokes, alcohol, whatever...
Dumb twat No. 3. Worth explaining that many poor people exist who don't smoke or drink. Well, worth explaining to vacuum heard like hyundai99

You wouldnt be watching it anyway Warren.

And I am sure everyone could afford the most basic sports pack which is around 50 a month how can u call urselfs NRL fans and not have fox?
Dumb twat no. 4. If you have a season ticket and attend games - you are not an NRL fan?????

Thats at 3am here in WA and Gallop applaudes them! He is the WORST CEO ever!
If he applauds something that annoys a dope like you, that's great!!!

davohan123

Juniors
Dumb twat no. 1

Dumb Twat No. 2

Dumb twat No. 3. Worth explaining that many poor people exist who don't smoke or drink. Well, worth explaining to vacuum heard like hyundai99

Dumb twat no. 4. If you have a season ticket and attend games - you are not an NRL fan?????

If he applauds something that annoys a dope like you, that's great!!!

Finally someone with sense to all those people who say just get foxtel somepeople may not be able to afford it- i just hope if your team plays in the future in the WCC and you dont have foxtel at that time you dont come complaining back - thank you Loudstrat finally someone who makes & to all those posters who are saying " just get foxtel its the answer"

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know how people feel about relocations, mergers etc (my own team that I've followed for nearly 30 years faced the prospect some years ago and my new team were folded before I could even get passionate about them!) but if we are using attendances as a gauge, it is a very real possibility that within the next few years Melbourne will be drawing 20,000+ crowds & 400,000+ TV viewers for big games. With all due respect to the likes of Illawara or Balmain, as stand alone entities would they be offering the same to the NRL?

There is an argument that to expand the game you have to make room for new teams to come in. I don't necessarily agree but I suppose there is only so many players, $'s fixtures etc etc.

I think the NRL can be a 20 team comp eventually, the existing 16 + Perth, Adelaide, Darwin/PNG, 2nd Brisbane, CC, Wellington would all offer alot to an expanded NRL. Problem is 16 + the 6 possibles would mean there isn't enough room for all the existing 16.

Tough decisions lie ahead and TBH there isn't much point in making them whilst News Ltd and the current set up are running the game as an expanded comp will not maximise corporate and TV $'s until we have am indpendent body running the game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Thats at 3am here in WA and Gallop applaudes them! He is the WORST CEO ever!

:lol: That has to be the stupidest remark in this thread bar none.

1. The game is being held at 6pm GMT in LONDON. Do you expect them to schedule it at 9am or something so it's at a reasonable hour for you? :lol:

2. David Gallop is the CEO of the NRL. This is not an NRL match.

Give yourself an uppercut.

bartman

Immortal
how can u call urselfs NRL fans and not have fox?
:lol: I see evidence of someone who has bought exactly the line the corporation wanted us to. Consume, consume, consume...

When there's a pub one minute down the road where I can watch any foxtel televised game for free (or the cost of a beer for each half and some chips, or maybe a pub meal) when I'm in the mood or not otherwise busy, then why would I fork out a monthly subscription to Fox?

Before the advent of subscriber TV and channel-pleasing night games, people got by with two televised games a week, massive live radio coverage (four channels calling games), and highlights shows. Were people not league fans in the 85-odd years before Foxtel?

Latest posts