What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NQ Cowboys v Wests Tigers - 2005 NRL Grand Final - Match Thread and *Spoilers

Who has your support in this years season decider?

• Total voters

elyod138

Bench
You obviously have no idea shadow grinder, he was one of our best...

Congratz tigers, well deserved win but the might cowboys will be back in 2006 :(

Ghoulies

Bench
elyod138 said:
Agreed.
that was the second-most boring grand final i've ever watched. 2000 being the most boring.
It wasn't a particuarly good spectactle, but it's still streets ahead of 2004.

Iafeta

Referee
Can someone explain to me the penalty against Steve Southern that resulted ina no try?

He's behind Jonathan Thurston, about a metre away in support incase Thurston pops a short pass or an offload, Dene Halatau makes a bad decision in my eyes, yet its a penalty?

What was Southern supposed to do? Not get behind Thurston to receive a possible offload?

Ari Gold

Bench
Tonight showed how the great game should be played....

How good was:

- the Cowboys offloads in the second half.

- Benji Marshall's flick pass

- Tiger's 98m try

- Thurston's inside pass

- Matt Sing's spectacular catch off a Tigers bomb

- Scott Prince's kicking game

Just Brilliant :)

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Iafeta said:
Can someone explain to me the penalty against Steve Southern that resulted ina no try?

He's behind Jonathan Thurston, about a metre away in support incase Thurston pops a short pass or an offload, Dene Halatau makes a bad decision in my eyes, yet its a penalty?

What was Southern supposed to do? Not get behind Thurston to receive a possible offload?

You've got to be kidding. Halatau didn't make a bad decision, Southern turned away from Thurston and pushed him over! Very straightforward decision.

shadow grinder

First Grade
elyod138 said:

Congratz tigers, well deserved win but the might cowboys will be back in 2006 :(

ofcourse you will say that your a cowboys fan....was i seeing things when i saw him do 3 sh*t kicks in a row? and get caught with the ball on the last tackle?

Jordan

Juniors
I'm absolutely devastated right now... we were well below our best, and I think I will lament our missed chances for a long time to come. Congratulations to the Tigers...they're a great team and it's so frustrating watching your team play them. Missed tackles are one thing, but some of there ball moment is so good that a lot of the time there wont be a tackle to miss.. they're just gone in a flash.

bluenwhite

Juniors
there was no intensity in that match.. atleast in 2004 there was intensity.. (to the guy who said 2004 was worse)

Iafeta

Referee
Thierry Henry said:
You've got to be kidding. Halatau didn't make a bad decision, Southern turned away from Thurston and pushed him over! Very straightforward decision.

No, I'm not kidding.

Where the hell is Southern supposed to be. Turned away? He was running deadball line to deadball line, you make it sound ilke he's facing the halfway tunnel. So what you're basically saying is support players have got to be making eye contact or else its a possible obstruction?

Southern's intentions are not to push anyone over, its to be a support player.

TheJester

Juniors
Iafeta,
On the replay we say the guy make a grab for Thruston and was barged out of the way by southern...

Fair Call

shadow grinder

First Grade
what about the poor pre-game "entertainment" ...worst music ever. and that idiot at halftime.....please drive off a cliff.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
He went up to be a support player, but when Thurston threw the dummy Southern turned to his left and pushed over Dene Halatau, who was running to tackle Prince. It was all pretty clearcut imo. He ran up as a support player but when he got there he deliberately went out of his way to take out a defender trying to make a tackle.

Three words: Boring, boring, boring. Well, one word three times :p

Great flick pass from Marshall, great run by Richards but it was probably the only exciting passage in the entire game. Both teams played below their potentials but the Cowboys even more so. None of their players stepped up and that's what cost them.

Southern pushed Halatau, penalty deserved.