What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

El Diablo

Post Whore
i'm not sure if ASTRA's are consolidated

pity Think TV no longer publishes ratings as they always did it

Paullyboy

Coach
I have recently been given one of the Nielsen TV ratings boxes in my house, and I think in the merchandise they gave us it said there's about 6,000 (or it could be 9,000) households in the country who have one. That to me is a ridiculously pathetic sample size, so I thought I'd give it a test for the Raiders game on the weekend.

You can log up to 10 guests who are watching the game with you, so I had myself, my wife and 10 of our mates watching on the box.

When I went to look at the ratings, it seems the game did very well in Brisbane (given it was Roosters v Raiders). It was the 6th most watched show of the day in Brisbane, and 17th most in the 5 metro cities(http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2017/05/sunday-28-may-2017.html)

I tried to compare that to the previous Sundays, and the two weeks prior to it had no NRL in the top 20 to compare it to. Three weeks earlier (7th May) the NRL had 121,000 in Brisbane (50,000 less than the Raiders game)

I wonder if my little experiment has shown that it really has a huge impact on the ratings by doing that - or if it's just a coincidence.

EDIT - I'm based in Brisbane in case my Raiders jersey confused anyone.

colly

Juniors
This seems odd from the perspective of a footy fan, but it is probably not odd from the perspective of the networks.

The industry standard is that shows with the same name can be coded together. This is why for years Channel 9 would code the two Friday Night games as something like "NRL Early" (different games into Sydney and Brisbane) and "NRL Late" (again, different games into Sydney and Brisbane).

If they didn't do it this way, then for instance the 6 o'clock "News" bulletins (with different presenters and often different stories in different cities) would have to be coded separately, which would not really be convenient for the networks and analysts looking at the numbers.

Time shifting is part of this also. Otherwise Perth "News", for example, would have to be coded differently from Sydney "News".

When shows with the same name are shown on multi-channels in some cities and a main channel in other cities, it is the network's choice whether to code the show as main channel in all cities or not.

Personally, I'd prefer the networks to code AFL and NRL all on the same channel, but again the networks often don't seem to want to do that.

Fortunately, Mediaweek tweets usually give enough info to piece together most of what footy fans will typically be interested in, which is the ratings and breakdown by game, although there is incompleteness due to restriction on reporting shows outside the top 20, which often causes non-reporting of AFL regionals and NRL GEM figures.
However in your Friday night explanation for the NRL was at the SAME TIME. This is what ratings are all about. Winning your TIMESLOT. So AFL have a timeslot from 12.00 noon to 6pm. (Longer when you include Perth)
Each market also has only one game and importantly pick the best rated where ever that was amongst time slots that SPANS up to 7 hours.

Jatz15

Juniors
How would you do it? Firstly it shows the futility of minutely scrutinising ratings for 2 sports with differently structured deals.
Secondly, in the past, LUs preferred method was to compare average ratings per game, and just ignore the fact some of the AFL ratings were from just 1 city, with many LOLs to be had. Combining ratings from different games in the one time slot does reflect the number of people watching AFL.
So, hypothetical example. Sunday arvo, Melbourne team play Adelaide team in Melbourne, shown everywhere but Perth and Sydney. Sydney team playing Perth team in Perth, shown Sydney and Perth only.
The timeslots vary due to timezones. Melbourne game gets total of 800k, Perth game gets total of 200k.
Total number of people watching AFL Sunday arvo is 1 mill, average per game is 500k, but neither game is national.

You may find it more satisfying to lol at AFL only getting 500k per game, but ratings only have meaning within a defined region. Averaging across regional is meaningless.
Thanks you explained a lot. However time shifting where their is no time difference ie Melb/Bris/Syd ( during winter) to 'get the best rated outcome is fraudulent IMP.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have recently been given one of the Nielsen TV ratings boxes in my house, and I think in the merchandise they gave us it said there's about 6,000 (or it could be 9,000) households in the country who have one. That to me is a ridiculously pathetic sample size, so I thought I'd give it a test for the Raiders game on the weekend.

You can log up to 10 guests who are watching the game with you, so I had myself, my wife and 10 of our mates watching on the box.

When I went to look at the ratings, it seems the game did very well in Brisbane (given it was Roosters v Raiders). It was the 6th most watched show of the day in Brisbane, and 17th most in the 5 metro cities(http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2017/05/sunday-28-may-2017.html)

I tried to compare that to the previous Sundays, and the two weeks prior to it had no NRL in the top 20 to compare it to. Three weeks earlier (7th May) the NRL had 121,000 in Brisbane (50,000 less than the Raiders game)

I wonder if my little experiment has shown that it really has a huge impact on the ratings by doing that - or if it's just a coincidence.

EDIT - I'm based in Brisbane in case my Raiders jersey confused anyone.

OzTAM reckon they sample upto 10,000 people. So one person in their sample represents approx 2440 people. You don't need many watching to get big numbers!

The_Wookie

Bench
OzTAM reckon they sample upto 10,000 people. So one person in their sample represents approx 2440 people. You don't need many watching to get big numbers!

tri_colours

Juniors
Why? Audience is less than 5% drop and sports content is still the biggest earners for tv channels. He isnplucking figures out of the air.

And on the digital investment, his argument is nrl contolled digital production will somehow fill a possible gap in 2023. How? How many subscribers and advertisers would nrltv have to get to cover the current fta or pay tv income? A lot more than exist I suspect.

Smith could see the risk and his answer was to put aside some of the games riches and put them into investment accounts so there was a big cushion available if things did go the wrong way. Sadly all that money has now been spent and the current nrl's answer is to spend even more on something that will in reality still have limited reach in 2023.[/QUOT]

To watch matches on Fox you have to pay $20 for the basic package and a further $30 for the sport pack $50 a month and they don't even show the Grand Final or Rep football . So if the NRL was the only ones showing the football they would be in a position to make a mint.
One package might be club games another the finals and another for rep games.

Last edited:

tri_colours

Juniors
For the last 5 rounds we will have a Saturday night FTA game. Does this mean that we will have 4 FTA matches or will we lose one of the other FTA matches and still have only have 3?

colly

Juniors
For the last 5 rounds we will have a Saturday night FTA game. Does this mean that we will have 4 FTA matches or will we lose one of the other FTA matches and still have only have 3?
I think you find that they drop the Thursday night game?

Starkers

Bench
upload_2017-6-1_9-43-8.png
how does this compare? seems a bit light, but maybe wait for the inevitable "updated" figures?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Last year average Game 1 was Metro 2.7Mil and total 3.9 mil so down a few hundred thousand...

The game was over a long way from full time so would suggest that there would have been some switch off over the last 20 minutes of the game which would have had an impact on the total average...

Canard

Immortal
Last year average Game 1 was Metro 2.7Mil and total 3.9 mil so down a few hundred thousand...

The game was over a long way from full time so would suggest that there would have been some switch off over the last 20 minutes of the game which would have had an impact on the total average...

Wouldn't a more important measure be were it ranked against other Prime Time TV?

Apparently it's the highest rated show of 2017.

insert.pause

First Grade
Nine's director of sport Tom Malone;

"It's a great story for NSW winning the first game and now heading to Sydney, but it's also a good story for Queensland to see if they make changes and how they travel to level the series. We haven't had a decider in Origin since 2013."
Read more at http://www.adnews.com.au/news/blues...-series-nine-s-sport-boss#VKPmWcRRUPiIMxDI.99

Nine used to present the game so much better when Steve Crawley ran the show, last nights origin opener video was limp and looked dated. Malone doesn't even know when the last decider was!

Latest posts