What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
and BY iNSERT PAUSE
Up until last year the NRL FTA audience decline was in line with the overall decline in FTA TV. FTA audiences have become fragmented with multi-channels & digital viewing platforms. Last year total NRL audiences were the highest they have been in 5 years, FTA fell, but was more then compensated for by the growth in STV. The sky isn't falling.

Lokk at the ratings here.
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2017/05/sunday-14-may-2017.html

We did not make the top 20 shows on Sunday

Its good the NRL is investing in Online broadcasting.

I hope the Clubs dont get their way and gut the funds for another CoE each...

tri_colours

Juniors
Our metro number was below 380k last night.

STV and steaming would be having some effect but...the AFL aren't experiencing anywhere near this drop off.

o

colly

Juniors
Our metro number was below 380k last night.

STV and steaming would be having some effect but...the AFL aren't experiencing anywhere near this drop off.

o
Considering El D post where are getting your figures from.
TVtonight also has bunken figures too.
According to media week
Thu TV #NRL Nine/9Gem #NRLSharksCowboys 729k: Metro 422k (Syd 209k Bri 175k) Regional 307k

Yet these figures would at least get a top 20 show on TV Tonight, which it doesn't.
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2017/05/thursday-18-may-2017.html

They need to include regional viewers. The best way would be Australia wide. For example Adelaide has one million population which is IN the survey, while Newcastle/Hunter* has one Million which are NOT included in the 5 cites ratings. As Hanson says 'please explain' or Tooves 'their needs to be a investigation'
* Newcastle/Lake Macquarie 370 k
Hunter Region 267 k
Central coast 333 k
Total 970 k

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
Up until last year the NRL FTA audience decline was in line with the overall decline in FTA TV. FTA audiences have become fragmented with multi-channels & digital viewing platforms. Last year total NRL audiences were the highest they have been in 5 years, FTA fell, but was more then compensated for by the growth in STV. The sky isn't falling.

I didn't say the sky was falling, I know it's not. I'm just saying that it's not a great thing that FTA ratings are dropping and by quite a bit. The AFL don't seem to be having that same problem though I realise our Foxtel numbers are much stronger.

It's just a shame that 9s shitty coverage is leading to lower ratings.

insert.pause

First Grade
Syd 209k Bri 175k Regional 307k
38k watched in mel/ade/per on multichannel which aren't combined with primary channel in top 20 ratings report, yet 7 combines their multichannel and primary channel ratings for AFL so to appear higher up the program rankings. Had 9 replicated what 7 does for AFL, the NRL would have been no.17 program on metro FTA for Thursday night.

insert.pause

First Grade
I didn't say the sky was falling, I know it's not. I'm just saying that it's not a great thing that FTA ratings are dropping and by quite a bit. The AFL don't seem to be having that same problem though I realise our Foxtel numbers are much stronger.

It's just a shame that 9s shitty coverage is leading to lower ratings.
So Nine gain viewers and fox lose viewers, and then we can whinge about how STV ratings for simulcast games aren't good enough.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i
38k watched in mel/ade/per on multichannel which aren't combined with primary channel in top 20 ratings report, yet 7 combines their multichannel and primary channel ratings for AFL so to appear higher up the program rankings. Had 9 replicated what 7 does for AFL, the NRL would have been no.17 program on metro FTA for Thursday night.
ignore the twat

he obviously has nfi what metro and regional are when he he thinks 307k is more than 422k

look at how the gumby separated Brisbane, Sydney and regional as if he was proving that his geniused statement was correct lol

don't forget it's the same tool that says the Swans get 120k in Sydney on FTA every week lol

Diesel

Referee
I'd assume Telstra/NRL know how many are logging onto the Digital Pass to watch a game, any reason these numbers aren't reported on?

As a Foxtel customer I can watch any game at home on fox.
I can also have 5 ( used to be 3) mobile devices registered to watch Foxtel go .
So for one game I can sit at home & watch
While up to 5 family members or friends can also watch the same game on their mobile or tablet even though they're not fox subscribers .
All they did was download an APP using my account no .
I doubt these added viewers would be counted in ratings .
As technology advances & more & more people watch through different streams etc the ratings numbers will mean less & less

colly

Juniors
It's pretty bullshit if regional arent included.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2017/05/win-completes-deal-for-southern-cross-northern-nsw.html
WIN stands for Wollongong Independent Network. Once Rupert Long balls owned it, a cheap way into the Sydney TV network. How things change now with Fox America he is the most powerful media mogul in the world. SEE
1962–1979: Wollongong television
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIN_Television
Now Bruce 'Batman' Gordon and sons run it. I remember when their programming consisted from all 3 networks Ten, Nine Seven. Anyway to the point with Wins tie in with Ten and Tens tie with Foxtel why can't Win show a new and improved NSW cup and it's QLD contempt. The new NSW cup have 5 regions North Coast, MId North coast, South coast and Snow, Riverina, Central and Blue Mountains, New England.
This product would rate great TV in NSW and Qld. Thats a ready made rating rugby league story the WIN network should be televising. Maybe a QLD merkin can advise whats happening re: televising R/L cup in QLD.
This would be a great expansion teams with the Bush NSW and Queensland country. This could be funded by the WIN TV contract proceeds?

tri_colours

Juniors
Considering El D post where are getting your figures from.
TVtonight also has bunken figures too.
According to media week
Thu TV #NRL Nine/9Gem #NRLSharksCowboys 729k: Metro 422k (Syd 209k Bri 175k) Regional 307k

Yet these figures would at least get a top 20 show on TV Tonight, which it doesn't.
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2017/05/thursday-18-may-2017.html

They need to include regional viewers. The best way would be Australia wide. For example Adelaide has one million population which is IN the survey, while Newcastle/Hunter* has one Million which are NOT included in the 5 cites ratings. As Hanson says 'please explain' or Tooves 'their needs to be a investigation'
* Newcastle/Lake Macquarie 370 k
Hunter Region 267 k
Central coast 333 k
Total 970 k

Media spy, they don't include the Gem number for the Southern states.

El Diablo

Post Whore
As a Foxtel customer I can watch any game at home on fox.
I can also have 5 ( used to be 3) mobile devices registered to watch Foxtel go .
So for one game I can sit at home & watch
While up to 5 family members or friends can also watch the same game on their mobile or tablet even though they're not fox subscribers .
All they did was download an APP using my account no .
I doubt these added viewers would be counted in ratings .
As technology advances & more & more people watch through different streams etc the ratings numbers will mean less & less
channel 9 also stream their games

streaming is counted by Oztam but i never see it reported anywhere https://mumbrella.com.au/oztam-introduces-new-live-video-player-measurement-report-425002

i don't think Oztam counts streaming by the NRL app though

only 9 and Foxtel maybe

Latest posts