What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 360: 7:30pm Wednesdays

LJC

Juniors
What makes you believe the game is even recognized in the South Island of NZ?

And a further question; what is a NZ side (warriors) even doing in an Australian based competition; when foundation clubs were made to merge or fold?

The inclusion of the NZ Warriors did not cause the forced merger of clubs in Sydney.
It was the ridiculous logic of Super league and their followers and a very poor agreement negotiated by the ARL with the SL people.

The overall benefit of the game is the mainstay of having NZ involvement in the NRL although I would like to see it called the Australasian RL. The American NFL have teams from other countries competing in their comp and so do other sports competitions.

Anyway, the lack of club sides and dilution of the Sydney clubs is a very worrying path and that is toying with generational loyalties that exist not only in Sydney but around Australia!

reanimate

Bench
What makes you believe the game is even recognized in the South Island of NZ?

And a further question; what is a NZ side (warriors) even doing in an Australian based competition; when foundation clubs were made to merge or fold?

The Warriors bring huge amounts of juniors into the game, they also net the NRL a significant amount of cash thanks to the NZ tv rights- they most definitely deserve a place over some of the foundation clubs. Having 2 or 3 NZ clubs would be even better.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Low as a pregnant snake. Unfotunately we have all this analysis and it is all pish. All these people think they are important. No you are not. Just tell us what you know.

They live in a bubble where they believe their opinion is important and they (the press) set the agenda, and if you don't agree you don't care for Rugby League.

Like all the crying about media access, the only people complaining about it are the media and the general public couldn't care less.

The biggest problem with shows of this type is that the same dozen blokes are on every show, there's no variety of opinion or independent thought.

aads

Juniors
I agree Carl - too samey with the guests on all of these shows - gotta give someone else as say - i like certain peeps in the NRL media but they are on every show it seems ( G.Tallis the worst offender)

Now the crossover between news limited, channel 9 and Fox its inescapable.

ads

LJC

Juniors
The Warriors bring huge amounts of juniors into the game, they also net the NRL a significant amount of cash thanks to the NZ tv rights- they most definitely deserve a place over some of the foundation clubs. Having 2 or 3 NZ clubs would be even better.

You don't have get of established Sydney clubs!

Just add clubs to the comp!

Pretty simple but it seems to be an issue as it creates genuine growth of the game!

magpie4ever

First Grade
The inclusion of the NZ Warriors did not cause the forced merger of clubs in Sydney.
It was the ridiculous logic of Super league and their followers and a very poor agreement negotiated by the ARL with the SL people.

The overall benefit of the game is the mainstay of having NZ involvement in the NRL although I would like to see it called the Australasian RL. The American NFL have teams from other countries competing in their comp and so do other sports competitions.

Anyway, the lack of club sides and dilution of the Sydney clubs is a very worrying path and that is toying with generational loyalties that exist not only in Sydney but around Australia!

Answer the question about the popularity of league in the south island of NZ.

magpie4ever

First Grade

Then they can start their own comp; FFS they're another country. They are not and I repeat, Australian.

LJC

Juniors
Answer the question about the popularity of league in the south island of NZ.

From what I gather Wellington is in the South Island? I know of some big crowds attending RL in that city.

And I take it you don't rate other sports that have clubs from other nations within their own national comps? You will be at odds with American Basketball, hockey, baseball and no doubt their are other countries that have the same policy.

This grows the game of RL and I think its well known how hard it is for RL to get a start and support in various areas around the world. The more playing our great game the better!

magpie4ever

First Grade
From what I gather Wellington is in the South Island? I know of some big crowds attending RL in that city.

And I take it you don't rate other sports that have clubs from other nations within their own national comps? You will be at odds with American Basketball, hockey, baseball and no doubt their are other countries that have the same policy.

This grows the game of RL and I think its well known how hard it is for RL to get a start and support in various areas around the world. The more playing our great game the better!

You are obviously not a Geography teacher:lol:; Wellington is the capital of NZ - it is on the North Isle.

Playing one game per year before a reasonable crowd; doesn't show that a city could run a finacially successful team - it is a big stretch.

LJC

Juniors
You are obviously not a Geography teacher:lol:; Wellington is the capital of NZ - it is on the North Isle.

Playing one game per year before a reasonable crowd; doesn't show that a city could run a finacially successful team - it is a big stretch.

Fair enough.

But I do know that other nations have clubs from other countries playing in their competitions. In fact the A league soccer does right now!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I like the current players, but geez Im sick of the "Legends" Tallis and Kimmorely.

Surely they should mix it up a bit.

reanimate

Bench
Then they can start their own comp; FFS they're another country. They are not and I repeat, Australian.

Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense. They've barely even got their own domestic comp for their national sport- Super Rugby's the top level and who do they play against? Teams from that country the Warriors play against. And South Africa as well, oh the humanity!

The country's too small to sustain their own professional comp. That's why the Warriors play in the NRL, the Breakers play in the NBL and the Phoenix play in the A-League. Get over it, Australia and NZ have always had an incredibly tight relationship, their presence in our comps is just a reflection of that.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense. They've barely even got their own domestic comp for their national sport- Super Rugby's the top level and who do they play against? Teams from that country the Warriors play against. And South Africa as well, oh the humanity!

The country's too small to sustain their own professional comp. That's why the Warriors play in the NRL, the Breakers play in the NBL and the Phoenix play in the A-League. Get over it, Australia and NZ have always had an incredibly tight relationship, their presence in our comps is just a reflection of that.

I think you find they have a solid province rugby comp that is being played at the moment.

Well as said, they have their team; they don't get another team into an Australian comp.

reanimate

Bench
I think you find they have a solid province rugby comp that is being played at the moment.

Well as said, they have their team; they don't get another team into an Australian comp.

That basically acts as a reserve grade comp for Super Rugby- the Super Rugby teams are the top flight Union teams there, they get way more attention than the ITM Cup or whatever it's called.

Another NZ team has numerous benefits for League in Australia, not just NZ. More juniors available to play at all clubs, more cash coming into the game, a stronger NZ national team, which will boost interest in Australia vs NZ tests and so on.

magpie4ever

First Grade
That basically acts as a reserve grade comp for Super Rugby- the Super Rugby teams are the top flight Union teams there, they get way more attention than the ITM Cup or whatever it's called.

Another NZ team has numerous benefits for League in Australia, not just NZ. More juniors available to play at all clubs, more cash coming into the game, a stronger NZ national team, which will boost interest in Australia vs NZ tests and so on.

I would guess you are a Kiwi based in Manly land.

I believe you would find that a lot of the Super rugby players play in the ITM Cup; also.

NZ league was not to worried about Australia league during the superleague war; so f**k the kiwis, I could not give a shit about their strength.

reanimate

Bench
I would guess you are a Kiwi based in Manly land.

I believe you would find that a lot of the Super rugby players play in the ITM Cup; also.

NZ league was not to worried about Australia league during the superleague war; so f**k the kiwis, I could not give a shit about their strength.

Nope, I'm an Australian living in Manly land. ;-)

I know, just like you'd find our Stupor Rugby players playing in the Shite Shield.

The Warriors may have gone to Super League, but they're vital for our strength now. As would a 2nd NZ team, they grow the game in NZ and connect with a valuable expat market here.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I like the current players, but geez Im sick of the "Legends" Tallis and Kimmorely.

Surely they should mix it up a bit.

they've had Girdler on a couple of times, any other suggestions ? As others have noted, the talent pool is shallow

byrner

Juniors

That comp goes for a couple of months and is only slightly better thwn the shute sheild.
Warriors are great for the NRL! The more teams the merrier.
Stop being a dinosour.

DictatingTerms

Juniors
Good comedy from Ikin tonight. Apparently the Burgess brothers are all going to line up against 'the Rabbitohs' this Friday. Who knew? :D

Latest posts