What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL, AFL and Union to shutdown for 8 weeks

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Not gunna happen, not without massive compensation, and even then, its virtually destroying the season. More likely, they will simply play the world cup just after the Grand Finals are over, when the weather is still mild.

You obviously know nothing about soccer. You do realise its played during June and July for a reason dont you? Because its the European off-season and thats where all the big players play.

Loudstrat

Coach
Can we cancel all soccer games in the UK during the 4 nations? Seems only fair......

Thinking of eelandia's comment re the NFL, when the soccer wc was in the states, did other sports shut down?

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Can we cancel all soccer games in the UK during the 4 nations? Seems only fair......

Thinking of eelandia's comment re the NFL, when the soccer wc was in the states, did other sports shut down?

Comparing the soccer world cup to the rugby league 4 nations is one of the dumbest things i have read on here.

We are talking about the BIGGEST sporting event in the world, even bigger than the olympics.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
He isn't comparing the size of popularity of the contest fool, he is playing devil's advocate about an international tournament coming in and dictating terms to the prevailing sporting competitions.

I for one see this as a gerat opportunity. As well as doing up many existing stadiums, it could effectively used to upgrade stadiums for potential expansion. Though we should be lobbying that skilled stadium be upgraded and used, not Cararra.

The biggest prolem is that all 3 Qld NRL grounds would be off limits for 8 weeks. I'd be keen for a 25,000 seater built in say Logan or Redcliffe's ground upgraded. The brocnos and Titans can use this while Suncorp and skilled are off limits, and a new stadium created for a 4th Qld NRL side.

Townsville would suffer with no close alternative, unless they can jag an upgrade to Cairns.

But overall, with the 8 weeks, the last block of 4 weeks will obviously see the comp shutdown for the world cup proper, but the leading up 4 weeks could easily see alternative scheduling for unused/alternative grounds for a round, a whole bunch of regional cities host NRL games for 2 rounds and NZ host an entire round.

The go for a 5 week Kangaroo tour to the UK.

Green Machine

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/soccer-in-spin-mode/story-e6freyar-1225790571428

Soccer in spin mode

By Tom Smithies
Sat Oct 24 00:00:00 EST 2009 Sat Oct 24 00:00:00 EST 2009

THE suits at soccer HQ were scrambling into spin mode yesterday, and no wonder.

What seems like a ticking timebomb in their World Cup plans was suddenly placed in the open as Football Federation CEO Ben Buckley talked to reporters and revealed the extent to which other codes would be displaced if the world's biggest sporting fest came to these shores.
If it was an attempt at media management, lost amid the new additions to soccer's hall of fame, the smell of burning cordite as the news reverberated around the country showed it had failed.
It's been reported that no other codes would be able to use the 12 stadiums earmarked for a World Cup for its duration, and for a period of four weeks beforehand (to ensure the quality of the pitches).
The fact that several dozen smaller venues would similarly be affected as training venues for the 32 teams was also in the public domain.
But in the smallprint of FIFA's World Cup bidding guide it specifies that no other big sporting event can take place concurrently or seven days before in any of the World Cup cities.
Based on next year's tournament, that would be June 4 to July 11. On the face of it such a requirement would leave the other codes justifiably up in arms, as it appears protectionist and arrogant. The rationale for this demand is that competing demands on policing, transport and accommodation would be potentially insurmountable.
But it is unclear how badly affected the rival codes will be.
The key is determining what FIFA regard as a major sporting event and every indication is domestic rugby and football competitions would not count. Bledisloe Cups, Test cricket, even a Lions tour, on the other hand, would be disqualified.
For a parallel look to America, where major league baseball was permitted to carry on during the 1994 World Cup, and it's expected would continue if America hosted another World Cup.
By contrast England, favourites for the 2018 tournament, have to contend with Wimbledon and Test cricket essentially being disqualified for the same period. Undoubtedly the other codes would be affected in practical terms of not having access to the big grounds that host many of their games.
But then, retort the FFA, no one ever claimed that a World Cup could be staged here in glorious isolation. There will be disruption but with major prizes at the end.
In effect we are now entering the crescendo of a lengthy symphony in which the FFA have sought through persuasion, bribery and the threat of legislation to get the other codes on board.
The persuasion and bribery relate to the improved stadiums and sporting landscape that would be left from a World Cup, and the promise of compensation. If the AFL for instance are forced to shift a blockbuster clash to a smaller venue, they will expect to be compensated for every dollar of revenue foregone.
But if that's not enough soccer chiefs are hopeful the federal and state governments will pass legislation governing the use of the stadiums in the required period.
If the FFA genuinely believes it is gaining co-operation, they may be surprised as the next few months bring some intense negotiations.

Lambretta

First Grade
Wrong. Have a look at the South African world cup stadiums and the FIFA requirements.

10-12 stadiums (all must be greater than 44,000, 2 greater than 60,000 and 1 greater than 80,000) will host games;
32 other venues will be used as team base camps and you can bet your arse they will use most if not all NRL grounds (which will have money spent on them); and
Australia has to make 8 venues other than wc venues (not sure of capacity requirements but its lower than 44k) available for international friendlies pre world cup.

Oh and why does every one say 40,000 as the minimum? its 40,000 + 4,000 for FIFA. Minimum is 44 000 for pool and round of 8 matches, 60k for semi and 80k for final.

I don't think soccer will shift back to winter, even in 10 years time. It is struggling in the cushy summer market now. And it lines up with the northern winter nicely.

40,000 - 44,000 it's basically the same thing. Dont be so pedantic :p

OK, so I've covered the 10 stage venues

You say 32 other venues used as training facilities etc?
Are you saying that they would take over stadiums for training such as Parramatta, Penrith, Bluetongue, Shark Park etc and not allow any other games of any code to take place there during that period?

I can understand the 10 round stage venues having that clause, but training facilities? How much money would they want to spend on training facilities? Would they go to the expense of building whole new stands etc so foreign players had nice new empty stands to practice in front of? I think you're overstating the effects somewhat.

Sure there would be stadium upgrades for the SFS, Newcastle and Canberra, but Newcastle is happening anyway and Canberra is a whole new stadium concept.

It would be great if WIN, Shark Park, Penrith & Brookvale got stadium upgrades, but if they're only being used as training grounds at best, I doubt they'll get much of an upgrade.

bobbis

Juniors
The NRL could for the 4 weeks prior to the WC play games in regoinal centers and NZ, a good oppurtunity to grow the game. While the WC in on send the Kangaroos on tour to Europe.

In the case of AFL it doesn't have a NZ or really any sizeable regoinal centers, nor can it really go on tour, presumably it'll play off non WC cricket grounds and then suspend competition for a month.

Rugby spends half the season overseas, so the Super 14 sides can go on an extended tour, also play some matches in regoinal centers. If its scheduled during the international season the Wallabies can simply go on tour.

Green Machine

First Grade
The NRL could for the 4 weeks prior to the WC play games in regoinal centers and NZ, a good oppurtunity to grow the game. While the WC in on send the Kangaroos on tour to Europe.

In the case of AFL it doesn't have a NZ or really any sizeable regoinal centers, nor can it really go on tour, presumably it'll play off non WC cricket grounds and then suspend competition for a month.

Rugby spends half the season overseas, so the Super 14 sides can go on an extended tour, also play some matches in regoinal centers. If its scheduled during the international season the Wallabies can simply go on tour.
You’re right, AFL will be the hardest hit. If take the MCG, Edihad, AAMI, Subiaco and possibly Carrara Stadiums out of the equation for 8 weeks, they don’t have enough stadiums to play in,

mickdo

Coach
Wouldn't be a big deal. Play in the bush and at non-FIFA grounds for the 4 rounds prior, and then have an ANZAC test, a couple of SOO overseas and a few rounds of the comp over in NZ and PNG for the 4 weeks when the WC is on. It would work pretty well I think. AFL would be rooted, but then who cares.

Chriso

Juniors
I'm amazed at how simple the people in this forum are viewing this issue. Simple fact of the matter; everyone here is Australian.

The 2006 Football World Cup generated $6,000,000,000 ($6 Billion) in revenue for the host nation Germany. Furthermore; $2,000,000,000 ($2 Billion) was spent in preparation for the World Cup.

Benefits that this type of project can provide Australia with can be better understood when you fragment the benefits beyond the simple interests of a sporting code. Imagine $2 billion (being spent preparing for the event). Imagine $6 billion in foreign money entering Australia. This is a lot of money. (I'm not sure what this compares with in terms of national GDP - but its more money than I will probably ever see :p ) What could be done with $6 billion to improve Australia.

Consider how Australians would benefit from the capital expenditure prior to event. From construction, electricians, plumbers, accountants, to accommodation providers, tourist and travel organisations, restaurants, etc...etc..etc..Endless Now, does League, Union, AFL, Cricket, etc....deserve $6 billion worth of protection from Football for an 8 week period?

Hostility from uniformed passionate supporters of different sports isn't unexpected from a nation with divided interests. They fail to realise the full scope of benefit this event provides to their nation.
Fortunately impartial minds will decide this decision.

However I understand the concerns of contact sports in Australia.

Traditional Grassroots Rugby League, Union, Cricket, AFL numbers have diminished over the past 10 years in Australia. Football is the clear winner. This trend if it continues will result in the 20-40 age bracket being predominantly more interested in Football than League.

Reasons for this are suggested to be caused by:
(Without any vindictive meaning in these racial comments): The increased interest from Pacific Islanders has pushed younger children from other backgrounds away. This is due to Pacific Islanders naturally developing faster in comparison with other children. This provides these children with an extreme advantage; making the sport "unfun" and even dangerous,

These 2 trends can be viewed in current competitions. The growth in Pacific Islanders in professional sports is comparatively larger than in Football. (However I believe Tim Cahill is Samoan right?)..

Whereas the "Australianisation" of Football in Australia is noticeable by looking through their origins. The massive improvements in quality of Australian Football (domestic and international) are remarkably obvious.

I could go on...but the big issue is will a World Cup create any massive changes in current trends in sport in Australia. I would say no.

Children already typically play Football as their preferred sport. Children are typically more familiar with Football players David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo, Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell than Fuifui Moimoi, Jarred Hayne, Sonny Bill Williams, etc..

Attendance figures are changing..League has existed for many years..and possesses a strong followship in older age brackets..however this trend will be important to watch as the A-League develops over time. Brand loyalty develops over time.

Simple Explanations for World Cup Demands

1. Why can't we play at the same time. Is the FFA FIFA scared?

I don't think the FFA or FIFA will be concerned about crowd attendance or viewer numbers in Australia. Suffice to say each match will likely be sold out.

It becomes an issue of logistics coupled with global attention. Police are needed for law enforcement, public protection. During the World Cup; huge numbers of tourists are anticipated through all major cities from all competing nations not to protect players, press, etc.

Spreading officers between tourist influxs, normal public duties as well as domestic sporting events such as the NRL could result in lack of staffing to support an emergency situation.

2. Why can't we use the fields before and during the competition?

Think insurance. These players are insured by clubs, nations, privately for incredibly large sums of money. (I wouldnt be surprised if some are insured for upto $100 million -heresay). Thus each field must be provided in immaculate condition. This means no Rugby matches on the field, no dug up holes, etc.

Furthermore sponsorship revenues from these matches is insanely high. Even the slightest hint of "Telstra" on the middle of the field would change the result of these earnings - satisfaction of sponsors.

3. Why do they need so many fields?

32 teams compete in the World Cup. Each team needs to be provided EQUAL level support to ensure parity in competition. This means each team requires equal levels of training facilities, access, support - at an adequate level to ensure that the best team wins each match. (Consider that most teams spend 2 years preparing for the World Cup - with half only playing 3 matches).

4. NRL will suffer at the hands of Soccer.

Correction, its Football. *The real kind.

However most importantly, I consider myself an Australian before I support any code or club(brand). Example: I'm a firm Atheist, I live in Sydney and work in the city. For 2 weeks in 2008 I dealt with what I believe are superstituous, delusional beliefs for World Youth Day. However I respected the fact that they were pumping millions into the Australian economy. Thus I supported the event.

You might not like Football, but are you Australian enough to support Australia as well?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who wouldn't want hordes of English hooligans coming into the country?

Seriously though we may have to accept one season of disruption for 30years+ of stadia improvement.

Chriso

Juniors
**Made alterations after noticing some terrible grammar**

I'm amazed at how simple the people in this forum are viewing this issue. Simple fact of the matter; everyone here is Australian.

The 2006 Football World Cup generated $6,000,000,000 ($6 Billion) in revenue for the host nation Germany. Furthermore; $2,000,000,000 ($2 Billion) was spent in preparation for the World Cup.

Benefits that this type of project can provide Australia with can be better understood when you fragment the benefits beyond the simple interests of a sporting code. Imagine $2 billion (being spent preparing for the event). Imagine $6 billion in foreign money entering Australia. This is a lot of money. (I'm not sure what this compares with in terms of national GDP - but its more money than I will probably ever see :p ) What could be done with $6 billion to improve Australia.

Consider how Australians would benefit from the capital expenditure prior to event. From construction, electricians, plumbers, accountants, to accommodation providers, tourist and travel organisations, restaurants, etc...etc..etc..Endless Now, does League, Union, AFL, Cricket, etc....deserve $6 billion worth of protection from Football for an 8 week period?

Hostility from uniformed passionate supporters of different sports isn't unexpected from a nation with divided interests. They fail to realise the full scope of benefit this event provides to their nation.

I don't think the FFA or FIFA will be concerned about crowd attendance or viewer numbers in Australia. Suffice to say each match will likely be sold out.

It becomes an issue of logistics coupled with global attention. Police are needed for law enforcement, public protection. During the World Cup; huge numbers of tourists are anticipated through all major cities from all competing nations not to protect players, press, etc.

Spreading officers between tourist influxs, normal public duties as well as domestic sporting events such as the NRL could result in lack of staffing to support an emergency situation.

Think insurance. These players are insured by clubs, nations, privately for incredibly large sums of money. (I wouldnt be surprised if some are insured for upto $100 million -heresay). Thus each field must be provided in immaculate condition. This means no Rugby matches on the field, no dug up holes, etc.

Furthermore sponsorship revenues from these matches is insanely high. Even the slightest hint of "Telstra" on the middle of the field would change the result of these earnings - satisfaction of sponsors.

32 teams compete in the World Cup. Each team needs to be provided EQUAL level support to ensure parity in competition. This means each team requires equal levels of training facilities, access, support - at an adequate level to ensure that the best team wins each match. (Consider that most teams spend 2 years preparing for the World Cup - with half only playing 3 matches).

Simplified: Wallabies versus All Blacks: would you be ok with the Wallabies using a dirt field whilst the All Blacks prepare on a high quality game field? No. Parity is important.

This is also an important issue for gambling. Preparation before the match is a vital component of the teams performance. Discrepancies in training facilities can cause irregularities in this important aspect of the sport.

However most importantly, I consider myself an Australian before I support any code or club(brand). Example: I'm a firm Atheist, I live in Sydney and work in the city. For 2 weeks in 2008 I dealt with what I believe are superstituous, delusional beliefs for World Youth Day. However I respected the fact that they were pumping millions into the Australian economy. Thus I supported the event.

You might not like Football, but are you Australian enough to support Australia as well?

Finally; what you should be concerned about...

I
understand the concerns of contact sports in Australia. Some of the issues I think might explain some of the issues in League, and its position related to Football are:

Traditional Grassroots Rugby League, Union, Cricket, AFL numbers have diminished over the past 10 years in Australia. Football is the clear winner. This trend if it continues will result in the 20-40 age bracket being predominantly more interested in Football than League. the 40+ men are more involved with contact sports. I've witnessed this trend first hand; playing Football (Mediterranean Descendant Ball) and being beaten, taunted for being heavily involved in it (despite the fact that each lunch all these kids played football with me anyway :p )

(Without any vindictive meaning in these racial comments): Its a safer, more enjoyable, technical challenging sport.
Increased participation from Pacific Islanders in contact sports has pushed younger children from other backgrounds away. This is due to Pacific Islanders naturally developing faster in comparison with other children. This provides these children with an extreme advantage; making the sport "unfun" and even dangerous. Being brutally pushed out of the way, without any need for technical talent doesn't reward kids. (Especially towards teenage years).

These 2 trends can be viewed in current competitions. The growth in Pacific Islanders in professional sports is comparatively larger than in Football. (However I believe Tim Cahill is Samoan right?)..

Whereas the "Australianisation" of Football in Australia is noticeable by looking through their origins. The massive improvements in quality of Australian Football (domestic and international) are remarkably obvious. Australian children arguably prefer Football as their preferred sport. Children are typically more familiar with Football players David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo, Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell than Fuifui Moimoi, Jarred Hayne, Sonny Bill Williams, etc..Children are more likely to be involved in playing the sport.

Consider if this trend continues for another twenty years. This means that the 20-40 cohort of today will become the 40-60. Combined a stronger 20-40 its likely Football will achieve this position irrespective of the World Cup.

Attendance Figures: the problem with A-League attendance compared with NRL is two-fold. Firstly, the NRL is the pinnacle of this type of sport. This is as good as it gets. Secondly, Australian Football suffers at global competitiveness of the Football industry. Australian talent goes overseas to play in more professional leagues receiving millions in compensation. Furthermore, it competes with the English, Spanish, Italian, German Domestic Leagues as well as the Champions League. Break down the number of Football matches that are watched in Australia and it will give a true indication of the followship of this sport (all without any considerable FTA).

I'm not familiar with how League performed - but I would suggest their is room for improvement; especially considering that NRL (not sure how the English Superleague rates): competition for this type of competition. Watching the telecasts on TV; there were many matches were it looked like attendance was pretty questionable.

Oh and finally - culture - obviously off-field dramas don't need to be brought up. But 2009 was a pretty unusual year in League.

Kurt Angle

First Grade

Terrible attitude as well, it reeks of the terrible and misplaced arrogance soccer has enacted since qualifying for its first world cup in 32 years.

No, it is lower down the pecking order in this country, it is soccer.

RL is football, or footy in NSW and Queensland, it has every right to call itself that.

Traditional Grassroots Rugby League, Union, Cricket, AFL numbers have diminished over the past 10 years in Australia. Football is the clear winner.

:lol:

Craig Foster has channelled his thoughts into your head.

Soccer is just as big now (in terms if junior participation) as it was 30 years ago. This aspect hasn't changed.

This trend if it continues will result in the 20-40 age bracket being predominantly more interested in Football than League.

What trend clown? There hasn't been a major change in trends, we saw a massive bandwagon in 2006, A-League seaosn 5 is showing a trend in terms of crowds.

the 40+ men are more involved with contact sports. I've witnessed this trend first hand; playing Football (Mediterranean Descendant Ball) and being beaten, taunted for being heavily involved in it (despite the fact that each lunch all these kids played football with me anyway :p )

Now we are getting the crux of the matter, embittered Mediterranean Descendant thinking he is delivering come-uppance to the skips with his game on the cusp of outright victory.

(Without any vindictive meaning in these racial comments): Its a safer, more enjoyable, technical challenging sport.

More enojyable :lol: quantify tat... I dare you to.

Under 8's, under 10's soccer more technical... :lol: Greyhound racing is more technical. Still shines more light on the embittered Mediterranean Descendant thesis however.

Increased participation from Pacific Islanders in contact sports has pushed younger children from other backgrounds away.

Except in areas of not many PI's, such as country NSW, which makes up a bulk of the NSW side.

This is due to Pacific Islanders naturally developing faster in comparison with other children. This provides these children with an extreme advantage; making the sport "unfun" and even dangerous. Being brutally pushed out of the way, without any need for technical talent doesn't reward kids. (Especially towards teenage years).

Whereas the "Australianisation" of Football in Australia is noticeable by looking through their origins. The massive improvements in quality of Australian Football (domestic

It's pretty much NSL standard again after 5 seasons.

and international) are remarkably obvious.

John Warren, Craig Johnston, Oscar Crno, etc. We've had plenty of equivalent talent before, and in fact the age 23-28 socceroo talent is looking as full as the Sharks trophy cabinet.

It's no where near as obvious. What we've had is winning a shoot-out vs Uruguary, then qualifying through Asian as a platform to lift the profile.

The increased profile has meant better national coaches.

Other than that there has been no 'obvious' increase.

Australian children arguably prefer Football as their preferred sport.

Arguably ? Only a complete idiot, of anti-'skip' racist would argue that.

It's an outright lie.

Children are typically more familiar with Football players David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo, Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell than Fuifui Moimoi, Jarred Hayne, Sonny Bill Williams, etc..Children are more likely to be involved in playing the sport.

Rubbish, the Hayne's, Prince's, Slater's are the most familiar as sporting heroes with kids because they are the most accessible and part of the social fabric in terms of connecting with their localities. They are seen in the flesh and their deeds are seen live on their TV screens, with follow ups all the time.

The Beckham's, Ronaldo's as seen in 10 second blurbs in sporting highlight reels. Kids know they don't live in Manchester, or Barcelona. They know they live in Parramatta, or the Gold Coast, the same area their sporting heroes play.

Consider if this trend continues for another twenty years. This means that the 20-40 cohort of today will become the 40-60. Combined a stronger 20-40 its likely Football will achieve this position irrespective of the World Cup.

Attendance Figures: the problem with A-League attendance compared with NRL is two-fold. Firstly, the NRL is the pinnacle of this type of sport. This is as good as it gets. Secondly, Australian Football suffers at global competitiveness of the Football industry. Australian talent goes overseas to play in more professional leagues receiving millions in compensation. Furthermore, it competes with the English, Spanish, Italian, German Domestic Leagues as well as the Champions League. Break down the number of Football matches that are watched in Australia and it will give a true indication of the followship of this sport (all without any considerable FTA).

That's a statement, not an argument. Try again.

I'm not familiar with how League performed - but I would suggest their is room for improvement; especially considering that NRL (not sure how the English Superleague rates): competition for this type of competition. Watching the telecasts on TV; there were many matches were it looked like attendance was pretty questionable.

Oh and finally - culture - obviously off-field dramas don't need to be brought up. But 2009 was a pretty unusual year in League.

It's still pretty tame by the weekly gang-bang and class A drug culture of the EPL, Serie A and La Liga.

Simplified: Wallabies versus All Blacks: would you be ok with the Wallabies using a dirt field whilst the All Blacks prepare on a high quality game field? No. Parity is important.

This is also an important issue for gambling. Preparation before the match is a vital component of the teams performance. Discrepancies in training facilities can cause irregularities in this important aspect of the sport.

Finally; what you should be concerned about...

I
understand the concerns of contact sports in Australia. Some of the issues I think might explain some of the issues in League, and its position related to Football are:

Traditional Grassroots Rugby League, Union, Cricket, AFL numbers have diminished over the past 10 years in Australia. Football is the clear winner. This trend if it continues will result in the 20-40 age bracket being predominantly more interested in Football than League. the 40+ men are more involved with contact sports. I've witnessed this trend first hand; playing Football (Mediterranean Descendant Ball) and being beaten, taunted for being heavily involved in it (despite the fact that each lunch all these kids played football with me anyway :p )

Increased participation from Pacific Islanders in contact sports has pushed younger children from other backgrounds away. This is due to Pacific Islanders naturally developing faster in comparison with other children. This provides these children with an extreme advantage; making the sport "unfun" and even dangerous. Being brutally pushed out of the way, without any need for technical talent doesn't reward kids. (Especially towards teenage years).

Whereas the "Australianisation" of Football in Australia is noticeable by looking through their origins. The massive improvements in quality of Australian Football (domestic and international) are remarkably obvious. Australian children arguably prefer Football as their preferred sport. Children are typically more familiar with Football players David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo, Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell than Fuifui Moimoi, Jarred Hayne, Sonny Bill Williams, etc..Children are more likely to be involved in playing the sport.

Nomination for most ignorant post of the year.

Helpful Hint: Learn something about a sport before you start bashing it at the expense of 'your' sport.

LazyDreamer

Bench
8 weeks of no greatest-game-of-all while some poxy soccer round robin comp is played that Australia has no chance of coming close to looking like being in contention of winning??? Say it ain't so Joe!

8 weeks of the NRL being played at country venues in NSW & Qld...why not have teams nominate a bush city as their 'home' ground for the 8 weeks? eg: Raiders = Wagga (coz it's down that way), Panthers = Bathurst (where they already have an affiliation), Dragons = Orange (coz I live here), Bulldogs = Coffs Habour (coz of their great history together) etc. Would still allow footy to be on FTA & pay TV, would see the game explode in the bush, would see the comp continue & would be a goodwill coup for the NRL.

And this isn't denying the money the gay little soccer comp would pour into the Australian (read: Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane) economy. But it doesn't change the fact that I'd rather circumsize myself with a rusty can-opener than suffer 8 weeks of nothing but boring bloody soccer.

Nevan_

First Grade
LOL at people saying the NRL should get get compensation from FIFA. Why would FIFA give a f**k about some tiny little sport played on the east coast of Australia?

LazyDreamer

Bench
LOL at people saying the NRL should get get compensation from FIFA. Why would FIFA give a f**k about some tiny little sport played on the east coast of Australia?

It wouldn't, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing in either state or federal law that states the world must stop if Australia gets to hold the World Diving Championships. Therefore, NRL & AFL surely would need to agree to cease for 8 weeks. Why would they do that for nothing in return?

coach

For Christ sake what a beat up of a story. There is no guarantee we will get either 2018 or 2022. Plus its 9 or even 13 years away before it might even happen.

Lets wait and see if we win the rights first. If we do then we deal with it then.

I can't believe how they have made out of a nothing story.

Nevan_

First Grade
It wouldn't, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing in either state or federal law that states the world must stop if Australia gets to hold the World Diving Championships. Therefore, NRL & AFL surely would need to agree to cease for 8 weeks. Why would they do that for nothing in return?

I wasn't saying that they wouldn't deserve compensation. But they wouldn't get it from FIFA. The FFA on the other hand..

We could send State of Origin to the UK and NZ. SOO is our mid season anyway, and SOO has been to Melbourne and California.... we may as well take it somewhere where they actually might be interested in SOO.

You can take it to UK and NZ but no one will give a sh*t. England are in the World Cup and NZ could very well be as well. Especially in England no one will care for Rugby League at all during the World Cup.

Latest posts