What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and AFL go head to head in Sydney's west on Saturday night

Chook Norris

First Grade
THE turf war for Sydney's west is ready to explode on Saturday night when - after two years of talk and barbs - the NRL and AFL finally go head to head. AFL officials yesterday claimed the 10,000-seat Blacktown Stadium was already a sell-out for Saturday's NAB Cup match between Sydney and Carlton, starting at 7.40pm. There will be 700 corporate guests at the game - many of them movers and shakers in the business world.
Just 15 minutes further west, NRL runners-up Parramatta tackle fierce local rivals Penrith in a trial match at CUA Stadium, kicking off at 7.30pm.
Told the AFL had already secured a 10,000 crowd, Penrith chief executive Mick Leary said: "We want 15,000 at our game."
Despite it being just a trial, NRL officials will be disappointed if their match fails to attract a larger crowd than the AFL, which will use Blacktown as home base for the new GWS franchise.
The Eels are the early premiership favourites and will send out a powerful side that should include Daniel Mortimer, Nathan Cayless, Justin Poore, Eric Grothe and Luke Burt. But the AFL game will also feature big names in Adam Goodes and Tadhg Kennelly (Swans) and Chris Judd (Carlton)."Parra have been installed premiership favourites so this is a great opportunityto see where we are at as a team and for the fans to see where we are at," Panthers boss Leary said.
"It will be a great test for us so we want the fans to get out and support the game. It's a real local derby.
"I think we have a better product than AFL. We need to support the fans and they need to support us."
Penrith will also field a competitive side that is expected to include new recruits Kevin Kingston, David Simmons and Adrian Purtell.
"Without saying we are going head to head (with the AFL), we have got everything in place at grassroots level," Leary said.
"We will continue to support all the junior clubs to combat the influx of AFL."
NSW/ACT AFL general manager Dale Holmes said most fans attending Saturday night's game were residents of western Sydney.
"I'm happy we have sold out. Eighty per cent of demand came from the Penrith, Hills and Blacktown areas," Holmes said.
"We would like to have even more supporters at the game but the Blacktown ground's capacity is only 10,000."
Asked would rugby league be closely monitoring the AFL crowd, Holmes said: "I don't think so. Parramatta and Penrith fans have very strong allegiances to their clubs. We'd like to think these fans might adopt the GWS side as their second club of choice.
"We know the NRL's heartland is Sydney's west. As I said, we just hope at some point supporters from Parramatta and Penrith might also follow GWS when it is up and running.
"We hope the Parramatta-Penrith game is also a sellout."
Panthers fullback Jarrod Sammut said games against neighbours Parramatta always attracted a healthy crowd. "Throughout history, it has always been big brother, little brother," Sammut said.
"We would like to fill up some seats and hopefully the guys will put on a good show.
"Every Penrith-Parramatta clash draws a good crowd."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...n-saturday-night/story-e6frfgbo-1225831123872

Shire Panther

Juniors
If I didnt just read this post i wouldnt of known that there was a fumbleball game on in Blacktown (and why does everyone in the media say Blacktown when it's actually in Doonside?)
I wonder how many free tickets they had to give away? I guesse this means there is a gay mardi gras on saturday in the disguise of a fumbleball game.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
How long until the AFL show up as an official sponsor of the HUN?

There will be 700 corporate guests at the game - many of them movers and shakers in the business world.
Hahaha. Oh man, come on. Who paid and how much did they pay. No offence but I just don't think the cheapies handed out to 'Penrith Mower Repairs" should really be talked about like that.

Lambretta

First Grade
People do know that the Swans have never won an NAB Cup game in the last decade because they dont take it seriously?

OK, so I can understand why people would want to go to an AFL game because they might be curious etc, but an NAB Cup game with the Swans?

The Swans always throw these games and use it to try out their under 10's players.

This is good for league as anyone new to the game will come away insulted.

m0nty

Juniors
People do know that the Swans have never won an NAB Cup game in the last decade because they dont take it seriously?

OK, so I can understand why people would want to go to an AFL game because they might be curious etc, but an NAB Cup game with the Swans?

The Swans always throw these games and use it to try out their under 10's players.

This is good for league as anyone new to the game will come away insulted.
To be fair, the Swans have said they're going to put out a full team and try to win this year. They have treated the comp like a redheaded stepchild in previous years though.

Loudstrat

Coach
Paul Roos was saying that they'll all be Swans fans, therefore will be a negative for GWS.

bullsh*t. This is a GWS helping hand dressed up as a "we hate GWS too" typical bullsh*t AFL spin. The Swans never ventured further west than Elizabeth St in the past. Now they have discovered the joys of Doonside lol.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The game is at CUA Stadium in Penrith, all 5 grades are on (although the SG Ball and Harold Matts dont feature Parra). Entry is $10 adult, $20 for family. Both sides are expected to name strong squads. Jarryd Hayne, Fui Fui, Michael Jennings and Petro Civinoceva are expected to play. The sides are playing for the Western Cup.

Everyone should come, last year the game had a suprizingly vibrant atmosphere with a good crowd too. Was a great night and I look forward to it again.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Expect countless stories in the media, trying to drum up the Swans v GWS thing. It will be completely stage managed. One particular rag will just lap it up while most of Sydney couldn't give a flying f**k.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Expect countless stories in the media, trying to drum up the Swans v GWS thing. It will be completely stage managed. One particular rag will just lap it up while most of Sydney couldn't give a flying f**k.
It reminds me of their Lions and Pink poofs state of Origin blockbusters.

bazza

Immortal

Good luck to the Swans
Interestingly the trial last weekend in Perth between Parra and Saints got close to 10,000 and no one made a big deal about it

Paullyboy

Coach
Good luck to the Swans
Interestingly the trial last weekend in Perth between Parra and Saints got close to 10,000 and no one made a big deal about it

I didn't realise trials had even started. Having said that, my only interest in trials is in reading to see if anyone was injured.

TimmyB

Juniors
I'll believe it when I see the 10 000 in the stadium. If they've given away that many tickets, there's no way even half the people will show up.

Latest posts