What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and AFL go head to head in Sydney's west on Saturday night

Titanic

First Grade
Watching the fumble-a-thon on AusNetwork now (I'll go and have a shower later) - commentators say 10k - I reckon 6k (all the camera angles stay below the top lip of the mound with so many stoppages I could count them all) but I must admit that the playing surface looks friggin' A1.

At least they know how to grow grass.

Last edited:

Jankuloski

Juniors
^^Wait 'till the spin machine kicks in...

Loudstrat's post made me think of something: The All Stars game in Perth? Considering the cultural significance of the game you could probably get the WA gov to cover the cost, it would be televised in the same way it was from the gold coast, and it would be massive promotion for the game. Considering we get 10k for a trial, we could easily sell out the stadium.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Watching the fumble-a-thon on AusNetwork now (I'll go and have a shower later) - commentators say 10k - I reckon 6k (all the camera angles stay below the top lip of the mound with so many stoppages I could count them all) but I must admit that the playing surface looks friggin' A1.

At least they know how to grow grass.
And anyone who plays that joke of a game has to smoke it.

Teddyboy

First Grade
From an outsiders view (meaning none australian) of Rugby League and AFL and having tried both codes and watched both codes i say League is for more easier in watching and also leaning the game,kicking and catching the ball at/from 90 yards a lot of kids can not do plus having 18-a side compared to 13 a side is quite crazy.
Plus there are 4 non-contact versions of Rugby League for people to enjoy.

Jankuloski

Juniors
From an outsiders point of view - we had it here on Serbia, not even the commentator mannaged to understand the rules 'till they cancelled it. Zero people understood it and zero people liked it. No skill, no structure. Couldn't care less about it.

@Loudstrat
I don't think Origin is the best way to do it, as that is ususally very attented game. The All Stars match was played in front of 27k, and that can easilly be matched in Perth. It could be a part of a wider expansion strategy, but there is no such thing at the moment within the NRL.

elbusto

Coach
The Swans get outrated by SBS every week. They are not popular at all. The same people go the Swans games each and every week. And the vast majority of them are expat Victorian. Same with the Lions.

The only reason AFL has higher attendances is because of the successful membership push many years ago. That has just started in rugby league in the last few years and is the main reason why rugby league was the ONLY sport in Australia to have increasing attendances, sponsorship and TV ratings. Rugby League also overtook AFL as the most watched sport in Australia.

You must be getting nervous down there Victoriania. It is the only reason you would be trolling these boards. Swans TV ratings and crowds down by 20%. Lions TV ratings and crowds down. No one gives a crap about AFL north of the Murray.

Rugby League ratings and crowds increasing. Rugby League finally understanding the importance of membership drives. NRL TV ratings in Melbourne were 3 times higher than any Swans or Lions games (when shown at similar times) .... 3 of the 4 highest rating TV shows were rugby league games. State of Origins. Internationals.

AFL has nothing except a bunch of brainwashed Victorians who actually think AFL is a good sport.

But anyway, you like watching sissy boys run around in tight shorts and singlet. Nothing wrong with being gay. It is probably why you like AFL. They do call it AFL for a reason.
Nice work mate. As a Tassie lad I can assure you I have endured senseless wankers like Bomber for decades.

They roll out the same crap about how good their tiny pathetic code is and deride everybody elses.

Its a sign of low mentality and nervousness.

I find it amusing they take themselves so seriously.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I literally :lol: when they showed the highlights on the news and the ref thought a passing train's horn was the quarter-time siren :lol: :lol: :lol:

We all need to vote a million times for Pride in that name the team thingy so we can call them GAY Pride. The Swans will be pissed off then too because they might lose most of their fans to the Pride.

roopy

Referee
A guy on offsiders just said it was the first game he's been to that had a petting zoo.

Bulldog Force

Referee
10,000 people for the Saints / Parra trial might suggest otherwise....not bad for a sport which has no team in WA at the top level....and apparently nobody cares about.

If the Swans couldn't sell out Blacktown last night, amid the free handouts, then they had a serious problem.
The only AFL team in NSW for almost 30 years, I would have been very concerned if I was them if they didn't get close to 10,000....especially with all the very friendly media the AFL has got here in Sydney over the last few weeks.
Spot on!

j5o6hn

Juniors
If there were 10,000 at the ground I will stand on my head for a week 5000 maybe at a stretch 6000,I saw a little of it apart from being as boring as hell there were large gaps in the crowd.
Maybe that's why Fitzgerald was there to help them add up the crowd I believe he was not much good with figures

joondalup_giant

Staff member
all stars v indigenous would suit Perth more, it would have more relevance then SOO to the average person of perth and would easily sell out ME Bank Stadium if promoted right

Perth will never get the All Stars game, not if it remains early in the year. To have it televised at a reasonable time, ie 8pm Sydney time or earlier, it would have to be played in Perth no later than 5pm. With the summer heat I can't see that happening. They should play a Test over there but we get so few of them at present it's a bit hard to take one there, especially when it is more financially viable to play them in Brisbane, Melbourne etc.