What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and AFL go head to head in Sydney's west on Saturday night

RL1908

Bench
I want to find out which Football code before the RFU was formed let you run with the ball in hand.

As I said, depends what you mean by "code".

For example, the first Aust rules clubs in Melbourne to form a collective body and formulate agreed/common rules (i.e. a football "code") wasn't until 1877, but most were following the rules of the Melb FC from the early 1860s onwards.

So, to answer your question, both soccer and Aust rules allowed players to a limited extent to run with the ball, in the period before the RFU was formed in 1871.

Soccer soon removed any authority to run and handle the ball (except the throw-in and the goal keeper), and Aust rules still allows running with the ball today (albeit with a periodic bounce of the ball that appears to be nothing more than a show-piece i.e. it doesn't restrict or slow down running with the ball).

Many other clubs and schools through the 1860s were following (to various degrees) the laws of the game at Rugby School, which obviously allowed unrestricted running with the ball.

Binga

Juniors
More like fumble, fumble, fumble, ball-up, fumble, fumble, ball-up, fumble, fumble, kick, drop catch, fumble, fumble, kick, miss goal - Congratulations you get 1 point for showing such skill.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
More like fumble, fumble, fumble, ball-up, fumble, fumble, ball-up, fumble, fumble, kick, drop catch, fumble, fumble, kick, miss goal - Congratulations you get 1 point for showing such skill.
Needs more fumbling.

Latest posts