What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and AFL go head to head in Sydney's west on Saturday night

RL1908

Bench
The same could happen in AFL if a kid decided he didnt want to play for the club he was drafted to. The Hill case set a precedent in Australian law, it has been deemed illegal. The only reason the AFL still has it is because the players recognise it & choose not to take it to court.

Partly - there are no other codes or leagues competing for AFL's players - that gives the AFL community a lot of peer pressure and influence over individual players.

So, even if a AFL player challenged the AFL draft, whether he won or lost might not matter, as depending upon how the AFL community (clubs, coaches, players, fans) reacted to his legal action, he might end up being completely ignored i.e. no club would offer a contract.

A NRL player in a similar situation could always try his career options in Super League or RU.

Partly - there are no other codes or leagues competing for AFL's players - that gives the AFL community a lot of peer pressure and influence over individual players.

So, even if a AFL player challenged the AFL draft, whether he won or lost might not matter, as depending upon how the AFL community (clubs, coaches, players, fans) reacted to his legal action, he might end up being completely ignored i.e. no club would offer a contract.

Couldn't he go to Nauru to earn good money fumbling a ball?

Shire Panther

Juniors
I heard the funniest thing at work today A guy who is a Victorian said his father in law who is a Pom and is visiting from Pomgolia sat down while my mate was watching a game of fumbleball and said in his thick yorkshire pommy accent "what the f**k are these poofs doing??????":lol: You might of had to been there but f**k it was funny when he done the accent with a sound of shock at seeing a bunch of grown men degrading themselves like that. True story.

Last edited:

Pazza

First Grade
I heard the funniest thing at work today A guy who is a Victorian said his father in law who is a Pom and is visiting from Pomgolia sat down while my mate was watching a game of fumbleball and said in his thick yorkshire pommy accent "what the f**k are these poofs doing??????":lol: You might of had to been there but f**k it was funny when he done the accent with a sound of shock at seeing a bunch of grown men degrading themselves like that. True story.

hahahahahahah

Desert Qlder

First Grade

Would have sounded more like "what the fook are these poofs doing" ;-)

Brutus

Referee

teddy_sadaoui.jpg

LESStar58

Referee

No. I didn't just have to be there.... I found it funny! :lol:

LESStar58

Referee
Loudstrat said:
Yet, to deny your national side just because it plays League is a typical example of the classic Victorian attitude. Yes, Victorian, because quite clearly you state that No one gives a sh*t about Kangeroo games down here. The third oldest national side behind Cricket and Union, and the national uniform that has had more blood spilled in it than the next two combined.

Rorkes Drift, Blinkhorne's record, the infamous 'no try' in the drawn test in 29, the Battle of Brisbane, the Battle of Leeds, Ron Roberts Ashes winning try, the Les Chantileers in 1952, the Swinton massacre, the Invincibles, Henderson Gills bum wobble, the classic Old Trafford test in 1990, the infamous Dowling-Tamati brawl, Olsen Filipaina destroying Wally Lewis, the Kiwis in the 05 Tri Nations, Mason attacking the Haka and Kidwell's response, Morley's send off and last years dramatic World Cup Final.

For a century Victorian arrogance turned it's back on some of the classic moments of Australian Sport. These men played for their country which includes YOU - and you can't even spell the name right for f*cks sake!

Bravo!

m0nty

Juniors
That game was shown at 1:05am, to be fair. Otherwise known as the Storm-in-Melbourne slot.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Dozens - or none - depends on your view of what constitutes a "code".

Every club and school played by their own unique idea of how football should be played (tradition, local site conditions, simply preferences and whims).

So if you count every club and school, you'd be in the dozens of "codes".

If you're counting a "code" as an association/union/league of like-minded clubs that get together and agree on a common set of rules to meet and play by, then the FA (aka soccer) was the first football code in England.
I want to find out which Football code before the RFU was formed let you run with the ball in hand.

I like my Rugby (League 70%,Union 30 % at the mo)but like reading about it's roots and histroy but i bet most Football i.e. Soccer fans don't know the histroy of Football.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Dozens - or none - depends on your view of what constitutes a "code".

Every club and school played by their own unique idea of how football should be played (tradition, local site conditions, simply preferences and whims).

So if you count every club and school, you'd be in the dozens of "codes".

If you're counting a "code" as an association/union/league of like-minded clubs that get together and agree on a common set of rules to meet and play by, then the FA (aka soccer) was the first football code in England.

I want to find out which Football code before the RFU was formed let you run with the ball in hand.

I like my Rugby (League 70%,Union 30 % at the mo)but like reading about it's roots and histroy but i bet most Football i.e. Soccer fans don't know the histroy of Football.

Latest posts