What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and AFL go head to head in Sydney's west on Saturday night

m0nty

Juniors
Don't like the idea of drafting at all. Clubs can do their own junior recruitment.
Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about drafting, just the concept of centralised physical and mental testing, so that all clubs know credible information about potential recruits.

adamkungl

Immortal
My point still stands. Why does it need to be centralised. Seems like the NRL would be wasting money imo.

m0nty

Juniors
My point still stands. Why does it need to be centralised. Seems like the NRL would be wasting money imo.
Part of the reason is so that there are no shenanigans with contested players being hidden by clubs, or dogging it for testing with a club they don't want to play for.

One might also suggest that the NRL would want to get all recruits together for a session or three on handling booze and women. :oops:

Shire Panther

Juniors
Brennan plays for Brisbane, indigenous lad recruited from NT. Naitanui is the humongous Fijian kid drafted by West Coast a couple of years ago. NicNat is a freak.

Ah now it makes sense, that would by why i had no idea who or what you were talking about as i don't speak afl.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Part of the reason is so that there are no shenanigans with contested players being hidden by clubs, or dogging it for testing with a club they don't want to play for.

One might also suggest that the NRL would want to get all recruits together for a session or three on handling booze and women. :oops:

Why would a player be trialling for a club they don't want to play for?? We don't have a draft remember? You make no sense.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Because its worked so well for the AFL and NFL right?

Flapper

First Grade

I'm sorry I forgot that AFL players never get sacked from their clubs for alcohol-fuelled indiscretions, get punted off boats for the same thing, traffic drugs or get charged with rape.

Oh wait.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Yet, to deny your national side just because it plays League is a typical example of the classic Victorian attitude. Yes, Victorian, because quite clearly you state that No one gives a sh*t about Kangeroo games down here. The third oldest national side behind Cricket and Union, and the national uniform that has had more blood spilled in it than the next two combined.

Rorkes Drift, Blinkhorne's record, the infamous 'no try' in the drawn test in 29, the Battle of Brisbane, the Battle of Leeds, Ron Roberts Ashes winning try, the Les Chantileers in 1952, the Swinton massacre, the Invincibles, Henderson Gills bum wobble, the classic Old Trafford test in 1990, the infamous Dowling-Tamati brawl, Olsen Filipaina destroying Wally Lewis, the Kiwis in the 05 Tri Nations, Mason attacking the Haka and Kidwell's response, Morley's send off and last years dramatic World Cup Final.

For a century Victorian arrogance turned it's back on some of the classic moments of Australian Sport. These men played for their country which includes YOU - and you can't even spell the name right for f*cks sake!

Thank you.

And the Kangaroos were the first Australian national team to wear green & gold colours in 1928. And the first to appoint an Aborigine as national captain (Arthur Beetson).

j5o6hn

Juniors
Why not have a draft,I cant see why you object so much seem to work OK in the AFL kids from WA end up all over including Sydney.
They just want to play their chosen code,works there why not in the NRL

Loudstrat

Coach
And who can forget Kevin Walters' brilliant face ball to send Steve Renouf over for the match-winning try in the 1992 World Cup Final at Wembely Stadium in front of 75,000?
Or Les Boyd's "Cut them to shreds" try in '78?

Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about drafting, just the concept of centralised physical and mental testing, so that all clubs know credible information about potential recruits.

Jack Gibson was doing that stuff over 30 years ago.

And the Kangaroos were the first Australian national team to wear green & gold colours in 1928. And the first to appoint an Aborigine as national captain (Arthur Beetson).

And no Victorian would ever recognise any of it.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
FMD, the Fumblers are invading everywhere FFS.

I just posted in the Toulouse thread and was looking for some news, this is what came up.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=6391240#post6391240

The start of this shock will be given 19 hours at the Stade ARNAUNE (Minimes - doors open at 17:30) but TO has once again decided to spoil his audience by organizing an animated pre-match and halftime as flash supported the five Australian members of its workforce. So, team of ' Aussie Rules' football or Australian Crocodiles Toulouse (see box below) will be on the lawn at 18 hours to offer workshops and oppositions that the public will discover the number one sport in the land of kangaroos.

Toulouse Crocodiles - Australian Rules Football Crocodiles The Toulouse club affiliated to the Fédération Léo Lagrange, was created in December 2008, and Australian football practice nationally and internationally. With five players in national team, the club appears to be one of the best in France. On the development of sport, the club can build on his World Champion trainer to 9, Ludovic Galiana. Cup winners South earlier this month, the club intends to become Champion of France in June. This requires a decisive match against the Sharks Fire Montpellier, March 13 next. This unusual sport was introduced in France in 2003. It is accessible and open to all, the European and global level is not yet one can see in Australia. If Australian football interests you, please contact the Toulouse Crocodiles: www.toulouse-crocodiles.com – toulouse-crocos@hotmail.fr

FFS, these germs will try and get in anyway they possibly can.

Teddyboy

First Grade
There are also comments in Melbourne newspapers in 1865 (i.e. just after the FA was formed) congratulating the FA on seeing the light by adopting the "universal" form of football, as the Victorians had done earlier (1859).

As with Aust rules, soccer at first had no cross-bar, allowed a "mark" for catching the ball, but did not allow hand-passing of the ball, or running with the ball. Aust rules initially allowed running with the ball (1859), then outlawed it (c.1860), then allowed it again (1866) but added the provision that the ball be bounced at a set distance.

All of which shows "football" was essentially the same mass-scrummaging game throughout the English-speaking world, and the rule changes which defined each football code, were not so great to distinguish one form of football from another (certainly not to our eyes anyway) apart from rugby's heavier tackling and running with the ball.

So how many codes of Football where there in England before the FA started.
I would love to see the Beckham and the other Soccer divas play a one off came of old Football.

Brutus

Referee
I would love to see the Beckham and the other Soccer divas play a one off came of old Football.

Are you the Teddy that plays for France in RL?

RL1908

Bench

Dozens - or none - depends on your view of what constitutes a "code".

Every club and school played by their own unique idea of how football should be played (tradition, local site conditions, simply preferences and whims).

So if you count every club and school, you'd be in the dozens of "codes".

If you're counting a "code" as an association/union/league of like-minded clubs that get together and agree on a common set of rules to meet and play by, then the FA (aka soccer) was the first football code in England.

bobmar28

Bench

One might also suggest that the NRL would want to get all recruits together for a session or three on handling booze and women
. :oops:
Will someone tell this Victorian about certain off field indiscretions by AFL players this year, widely reported in the media.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Why not have a draft,I cant see why you object so much seem to work OK in the AFL kids from WA end up all over including Sydney.
They just want to play their chosen code,works there why not in the NRL

We had a draft system in 1991. Terry Hill was drafted to Easts although he had already agreed to a contract with Wests. He took the draft to court as a restraint of trade & won. The draft system was then abolished in Rugby League.
The same could happen in AFL if a kid decided he didnt want to play for the club he was drafted to. The Hill case set a precedent in Australian law, it has been deemed illegal. The only reason the AFL still has it is because the players recognise it & choose not to take it to court.

m0nty

Juniors
Will someone tell this Victorian about certain off field indiscretions by AFL players this year, widely reported in the media.
I wasn't having a go. The AFL does exactly the same thing with its recruits, for the same reasons. It should be a standard part of any professional league's development process.

Shire Panther said:
Where does this stupid game even come from? A guy at work said it evolved from Rugby and was played by cricketers to keep fit in the off season.

A player with a fine disregard for the rules of football as played in his time took the ball into his arms and fumbled it, thus originating the distinctive feature of the Victorian game.