What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters

Goddo

Bench
What the delay means for bids:

Winnners:

Western Corridor - they have a good "in theory" finacial structure, a stadium commitment, but no real sponsors, and branding to sort out - this delay is a god send for this bid

PNG - they were planning on 2017 entry at soonest. Any delay helps

NZ2 - NZRL can now sort itself out, find financial backers and get a bid going again. If they want to. No preasure.

Adelaide, and the Moon - and anywhere else that didn't previously have a bid. Going from 0 to 1 in 10^5312 chance. Any targeted bid like Adelaide would still relly on being a top down NRL driven model. Unlikely to happen when the NRL has to do no work to go to equally good locations like Perth.

Easts Tigers/Wynnum Manly QRL Cup bid - also get a leg up. From cold interest in a club because "everyone else in the QRL cup was doing it", this bid can now be a goer, if it still exists.

Little Change in chances:

Perth - some sponsors, plans for players et cetera were tied to a July 2011 deadline for submission. They will have to renegotiate, but this bids strengths won't be affected - Timezone, OzTam capital, new market, Anti-Siphoning law changes.

Brisbane II - mixed result for this bid. More time means their blitzkreg marketing driven plan with a strong stable of sponsors and snapping up QRL Cup affiliations will keep going steadily, but the strategy will need a rethink. Biggest problem is Western Corridor suddenly becomes a major threat.

Losers:

Central Coast - any delay costs this bid the most, as it is currently the most ready, but also worst located bid with regards to TV revenue and current clubs. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Central Queensland - they had big money backing, and appealed to the NRL as a regional side. But their small population and improving rival bids mean this bid is effectively a dead-man walking.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Fair call if the game isn't ready for new teams no point expanding too early. Need a team in Perth and another team in QLD and possible relocation of the SHarks or Rabbits.

flame away
Well I'm trying to decide if this is a troll post designed to piss people off, or a serious post...which would be worse.

Explain to me why the f**k would a team that is actually turning a profit WITHOUT a leagues club when most Sydney teams are flatout turning a profit WITH a leagues club, why would this club even consider relocation?

If the NRL decided today to relocate/kill all but 3 Sydney clubs, I guarantee Souths would be one of the 3 remaining clubs.

A club with 20,000 members, a club that has kept extraordinarily strong crowds after 3 years without finals (NO other Sydney club would be averaging even 16k if they missed the 8 3 years in a row). That tells anyone who isn't a genius that this club has a very high floor in terms of support, and an enormously high potential ceiling. Souths is the sleeping giant in Sydney footy. This club isn't going anywhere.

If this was a troll post, well done, you got me hook like and sinker, if it wasn't...I pity you.

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
the positive for Bribane would be a network having another option for FNF apart from the Broncos

would also help pay TV as the Broncos aren't a high rater when they are on seeing a lot of their fans don't need to subscribe to see their team play every week

Good point you make about Pay TV. Seventy-one persent of Bronco games this season have appeared on FTA. A fair number of those on Friday night. So their isn't a big need for Brisbane, at least Bronco supporters anyway to subscribe to Foxtel.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Typical bullshit associated with Rugby League. We actually have places THAT WANT TEAMS and we're turning them down left right and centre. PNG you can understand cause it's a f**king basketcase, but Perth would immensely help our bid for a billion.

When we get rorted on the next TV deal on the basis of only being on the east coast (which will happen, I don't care what any of you think, call me nostradamus), don't bitch about it. I recall lots of the usual suspects talking about how good the last deal was gonna be for the game.

Matter factly, someone should start a campaign to message the players on Gaybook and let them know just how much it'll affect their $$$. El Diablo and co making 90 posts a day knocking AFL in the fight club (however entertaining) doesn't do f**k all to help our game.

beads6

First Grade
Well I'm trying to decide if this is a troll post designed to piss people off, or a serious post...which would be worse.

Explain to me why the f**k would a team that is actually turning a profit WITHOUT a leagues club when most Sydney teams are flatout turning a profit WITH a leagues club, why would this club even consider relocation?

If the NRL decided today to relocate/kill all but 3 Sydney clubs, I guarantee Souths would be one of the 3 remaining clubs.

A club with 20,000 members, a club that has kept extraordinarily strong crowds after 3 years without finals (NO other Sydney club would be averaging even 16k if they missed the 8 3 years in a row). That tells anyone who isn't a genius that this club has a very high floor in terms of support, and an enormously high potential ceiling. Souths is the sleeping giant in Sydney footy. This club isn't going anywhere.

If this was a troll post, well done, you got me hook like and sinker, if it wasn't...I pity you.

Not trolling, I just think we need to relocate a team out of Sydney if we can. SOuths just always come to mind all the time not sure why. One of the broke Sydney teams should relocate. I wasn't aware that Soouth were actually making money.

2013 was impossible thanks to the delays with the IC. But the biggest concern about the whole thing is that even when the IC is sorted this story suggests the clubs will have a big say. What the? The greedy, selfish, incompetent clubs should be nowhere near any decision on expansion. Imagine a fat, useless moron like Richardson having a say on something so important to the future of the game. This is why the IC won't work. The clubs will have too much say.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
What the delay means for bids:

Winnners:

Western Corridor - they have a good "in theory" finacial structure, a stadium commitment, but no real sponsors, and branding to sort out - this delay is a god send for this bid

PNG - they were planning on 2017 entry at soonest. Any delay helps

NZ2 - NZRL can now sort itself out, find financial backers and get a bid going again. If they want to. No preasure.

Adelaide, and the Moon - and anywhere else that didn't previously have a bid. Going from 0 to 1 in 10^5312 chance. Any targeted bid like Adelaide would still relly on being a top down NRL driven model. Unlikely to happen when the NRL has to do no work to go to equally good locations like Perth.

Easts Tigers/Wynnum Manly QRL Cup bid - also get a leg up. From cold interest in a club because "everyone else in the QRL cup was doing it", this bid can now be a goer, if it still exists.

Little Change in chances:

Perth - some sponsors, plans for players et cetera were tied to a July 2011 deadline for submission. They will have to renegotiate, but this bids strengths won't be affected - Timezone, OzTam capital, new market, Anti-Siphoning law changes.

Brisbane II - mixed result for this bid. More time means their blitzkreg marketing driven plan with a strong stable of sponsors and snapping up QRL Cup affiliations will keep going steadily, but the strategy will need a rethink. Biggest problem is Western Corridor suddenly becomes a major threat.

Losers:

Central Coast - any delay costs this bid the most, as it is the worst located bid with regards to revenue. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Central Queensland - they had big money backing, and appealed to the NRL as a regional side. But their small population and improving rival bids mean this bid is effectively a dead-man walking.

When did Easts/Wynumm declare interest?

CQ was a loser all along for me, just cannot imagine a club in a sparsely populated and low pop density regional area. Especially at the expense of a metro bid no matter how many major backers they had locked in.

I would say that Central Coast can target 10k members so thats one positive for that bid.

Goddo

Bench
People need to chill a bit. 2013 is off the table for the right reasons: we are getting an Independant Commission and renegotiating our TV deal.

We can still plan for expansion in 2014, and include that plan in our TV rights negotiations. The Comission can lock Perth in as one of the clubs and this will then have a very low effect on the deal.

Some of you are acting like we will never expand. We will. lets get other more important things sorted, and let the current clubs stabilise under the first year of the new TV deal, then expand from a position of strength.

When did Easts/Wynumm declare interest?

Around January, they were sniffing around a bid, seeing as the QRL Cup will be having a shake up with interstate backers being kicked out. Mentioned as a possibility in a few Ipswich bid articles. There is now a slim chance something might come of it. Whatever happens in Queensland, any expansion team will be tied to QRL Cup teams backing.

CQ were banking on Central Commets in Rockhampton
Brisbane II on Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles and Redcliffe Dolphins
Western Corridor on Ipswich Jets and Souths Logan Magpies.

With 7 other clubs tied to the Broncos/Cowboys/Titans, I think Easts and Wynnum-Manly were just looking at their options.

With Canberra Manly and Melbourne either gone or going from the QRL Cup, something needs to fill the vaccume, and the Broncos aren't big enough to do so.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Re: the LEK comments it should be noted that they were only a preliminary report and didn't actually include any specific expansion locations, rather they were just a measure of what the market in 2009 would gain for a 9th game.

To clarify: remember at the time of that report there was no official suggestion that 7 nor 10 were interested in rights. The focus of that report was to the preexisting rights holders Nine & Fox.

LEK were asked afterwards to create an assessment of each potential bid location to determine their leverage in rights negotiations. A general comment that came out of that was the underdevelopment of the Queensland market.

There's not going to be an official release of LEK's reports for obvious reasons. However I can assure you that the majority of their consultation work has actually only occurred in the last 12 months, since the second half of 2010 i.e. after the market conditions had changed.

Last edited:
Losers:

Central Coast - any delay costs this bid the most, as it is currently the most ready, but also worst located bid with regards to TV revenue and current clubs. So long and thanks for all the fish.

The delay doesn't mean anything for the Central Coast Bears or Central Queensland bids. They are true heartland bids and have resounding community support which can only grow. Everytime you or anyone else have come out saying "this hurts the CC bid", the CCBears bid responds with more members, more sponsors and more support period.

Every single bid can use the extra time to build on what they have already, however the truth is most bids don't have anything sorted at all. So the bids which do have some bases covered, like the CCBears, a delay in a year or two can only mean further progression on what they've built so far.

All this means for us CCBears supporters is growth in numbers, financially and fans. So now instead of having 7000 members, we might potentially have 15,000 members when the bid is handed in. And what then? Still not good enough? Still too small? Please.. don't even bother replying with your usual mumbo jumbo as it's tiresome.

But I will tell you one further thing, the Central Coast Bears establishment is very confident in our bid. We aren't looking at the sky, wondering whats on the horizon. We're actively heading towards it. Nothing changes for the bid at all, except aforementioned growth.

The commitment from our current sponsors and future sponsors is unwavering and the dedication from our "fan base" is tops. These make for even more exciting times for the Central Coast Bears bid. We'll continue to go hard regardless of what you or anyone else thinks. The beauty is by the time a decision is ready to be made, our warchest will not only be very impressive but without question the biggest warchest of any sports bid period.

As for Central Queensland, much of what I said on the CCBears applies to them too. It's their communities which will dictate how the bid continues to evolve by showing their support towards it.

Both bids will keep on growing and you will keep posting nonsense to undermine them every 2nd/3rd day.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Not trolling, I just think we need to relocate a team out of Sydney if we can. SOuths just always come to mind all the time not sure why. One of the broke Sydney teams should relocate. I wasn't aware that Soouth were actually making money.
Yep, the last two financial years we've been in the black. When we finally get the leagues club up and running, plus the additional revenue from the NRL in the next tv deal,plus actually have an occasional winning season, we'll have even more of a buffer and I can't see us making a loss under any circumstances.

IMO 8 sydney teams rather than 9 is ideal, and if any Sydney club relocates, the most likely would be Cronulla or Manly. Although if they get to 2013 without relocating it might never happen and we'll have 9 sydney teams for the forseeable future.

Goddo

Bench
R&B, you aren't at all worried that better located bids will have more time to get ready, thus reducing the chances of the CC and CQ bids?

If I were a Bears fan I would be worried. Biggest winners from a delay are Ipswich, because their bid will go from not quite sorted to sorted.

The delay means Perth, Ipswich, Brisbane II, Central Coast and Central Queensland will all be able to submit good bids. How will the NRL then decide which ones to accept? I'd suggest the affect on revenue will be the deciding factor now.

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
A lot will revolve around whether the salary cap is increased substantially with the incoming IC.

Some teams may have to relocate if they can't find the money in the area they're in now.

If the Sharks or Roosters or Bunnies moved to find the money necessary there would be no need for expansion since relocation would serve the same purpose

So you aren't at all worried that better located bids will have more time to get ready, thus reducing the chances of the CC and CQ bids?

You are more deluded than I thought.

Why would I be worried? So the other bids who are putting in less work might get 50% of what the CCBears have already achieved, accomplished themselves. Whilst the CCBears and CQ bids who are putting in the real hard yards can really kick off to another gear.

If anyone is deluded it's you and your constant hoping that the CCBears fall over. Catch up to reality when you get a chance Goddo because the bid is growing every single day. Not only is it growing but it's well established. Let me put it into perspective, the Central Coast Bears bid are already building support outside of NS/CC. For a bid which you claim will lack bringing revenue to the NRL, it sure doesn't seem like it considering the large and diverse pool of supporters we have in both our region and outside it. It's also the best corporate supported bid with alot more on the way. It's also the only bid which has sponsors already actively pumping funds into the organization. The foundations have well and truly been laid and whilst we can't control what other bids do, we can control what our bid does.

While other bids concentrate on building their own foundations, we are already in a stage of constant growth. To be a CCBears fans right now is very exciting and nothing you or the media throws up can damper that excitement.

If I were a Bears fan I would be worried.
Well thats the problem, you're not a CCBears fan at all. So you don't have a clue.

Last edited: