What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters

Goddo

Bench
Why would I be worried? So the other bids who are putting in less work might get 50% of what the CCBears have already achieved, accomplished themselves. Whilst the CCBears and CQ bids who are putting in the real hard yards can really kick off to another gear.

tumblr_lhi3nofEVD1qds7k7o1_400.jpg

Red Bear

Referee
We actually do have the best bid, comfortably. Fairly watertight if I remember correctly. Location is what counts against us, unfortunately.

flippikat

Bench
A lot will revolve around whether the salary cap is increased substantially with the incoming IC.

Some teams may have to relocate if they can't find the money in the area they're in now.

If the Sharks or Roosters or Bunnies moved to find the money necessary there would be no need for expansion since relocation would serve the same purpose

If ANY Sydney team moved to find the money necessary, it would help solve the expansion dilemma.

If they moved to anywhere in South-east Queensland, it would help even more.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If ANY Sydney team moved to find the money necessary, it would help solve the expansion dilemma.

If they moved to anywhere in South-east Queensland, it would help even more.

Would people in south east Queensland be willing to accept a relocated team?

A question for the bears out there - are the memberships renewed yearly or are they just a once off? 7000 members is a lot but not so big if they are multi year memberships.

clarency

Juniors
If they don't renew is the number reduced? I imagine a large proportion of those guys are the casual fans that had a spare $20 in their pocket and just said "wtf..".

Making continuous payments to a non existent team... hmmm.

Dogs Of War

Coach
It makes sense not to expand till 2014. Allows any winning bid to have enough time to setup everything correctly, especially getting players under contract. Not to mention that the NRL could really do with building a nice financial nest egg from not paying for the 2 new clubs straight away.

flippikat

Bench
Would people in south east Queensland be willing to accept a relocated team?

That's a question they have to ask themselves.

The thing is, it doesn't just have to be a straight relocation - a partnership with one or more Queensland Cup teams who have NRL ambitions could work too.

A Merger & relocation is not without precedent - In the AFL the Brisbane Lions managed to find enough common ground between the old Fitzroy Lions & the Brisbane Bears identities (Fitzroy bring the Lions name, the Bears bring Maroon to the club colours).

You could find the same synergies between a Cronulla / Redcliffe Partnership - which is the easiest & most obvious fit - but other combinations could arise.

Goddo

Bench
a partnership with one or more Queensland Cup teams who have NRL ambitions could work too.

I think that is the key to success for ANY new Queensland side. Every single current bid has an affiliation with a current QRL Cup side, and in the case of Ipswich and Brisbane II, 2 QRL Cup sides, possibly 3 in Ipswich's case.

We actually do have the best bid, comfortably. Fairly watertight if I remember correctly. Location is what counts against us, unfortunately.

And its quite a big black eye for your bid. Its the key criteria for inclusion. All the other ground can be made up by the other bids, and now that they have an extra year to get ready its looking pretty wrapped up.

Last edited:

smithie

Juniors
If any team were to relocate to South-East QLD, it would have to be Sea Eagles to the Sunshine Coast.

Red Bear

Referee
I think that is the key to success for ANY new Queensland side. Every single current bid has an affiliation with a current QRL Cup side, and in the case of Ipswich and Brisbane II, 2 QRL Cup sides, possibly 3 in Ipswich's case.

And its quite a big black eye for your bid. Its the key criteria for inclusion. All the other ground can be made up by the other bids, and now that they have an extra year to get ready its looking pretty wrapped up.
I still hold out hope i'll get some reward for defending/supporting this game as I do without my club in the top flight, but im also one of the more pessimistic people around re the Bears.

Certain clubs moving to Qld would open doors for us, thats for sure. The Titans being far from established surely counts against second Brisbane at this point also?

Quidgybo

Bench
"It means expansion is likely to be off the table in 2013 as officials look to use the new television money to reward and stabilise their existing clubs. That will come as a setback to the consortiums jostling to enter the competition."

Well without the extra game and the added value of the new teams we are going to get a whole lot less money.
For one or two years only, not the entire five or six year contract. We'd still be offering television an expanded comp with a 9th game and the extra money that justifies for the remaining years. And we'll still get a major increase immediately based on our rapid growth in value over the last six years even before expansion. We may not have an expanded comp in the first year of the new television deal but be in no doubt that the question of expansion - how, when and for how much - will be decided as part of the new deal.

Leigh

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Yes, flaw in the IC is it being clubs base. Clubs act in their own, not the games, interest

Exactly, clubs need to be told how things are going to be not the one's dictating. Otherwise it will always be about self interest, which is what I thought the IC was going to get away from.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Expect a below billion dollar TV deal now

exactly .... ludicrous decision
I hope the commissioners tell the clubs to pull their heads in :x

the clubs can't sure up their financial situations without a lot of extra money
the extra money won't come without an extra game

anyone who believes TV exces when they say an extra game won't add much to the deal also believes in the tooth fairy

Last edited: