What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL boss David Gallop offers $250,000 incentive to Dragons to move semi final to SFS

OurRedV

Juniors
Just confirmed on 2GB, the game is going to be at Kogarah it's confirmed by the NRL.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Right decision made.

I see some Parra supporters are already saying they'll miss out. Have no idea why - first in best dressed, and they can book tickets like any other away supporter.

Season ticket holders (Red V) entitled to two each, first dibs. Fire up fellas and fellaresses, this is going to be bigger than Ben Hur.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I think it's time we all got excited.

Finals footy. A win away from a preliminary final. AT KOGARAH ! :crazy:

Slackboy72

Coach
Confirmation here:
http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=20034

Dragons confirm WIN Jubilee for Home Final
Sunday, September 06, 2009
The St George Illawarra Dragons have today confirmed their Home Qualifying Final against the Parramatta Eels next Sunday will be played at WIN Jubilee Oval Kogarah.
“I can understand the NRL’s desire to maximise commercial returns for everyone, but at the end of the debate the Dragons long-term future and success is with our people,” said Dragons CEO Peter Doust.
“Loyalty to our corporate partners, Red V Members, supporters, staff and players will have a significant associated financial return and we believe playing the Home Qualifying Final that we have earned at WIN Jubilee Oval is the most appropriate decision for everyone involved and associated with our club”.

KoMoToe

Juniors
Right decision made.

I see some Parra supporters are already saying they'll miss out. Have no idea why - first in best dressed, and they can book tickets like any other away supporter.

Season ticket holders (Red V) entitled to two each, first dibs. Fire up fellas and fellaresses, this is going to be bigger than Ben Hur.
If there team(or any team)is good enough to finish top 4 there fans wouldn't miss out,try again next year Parra like we will be.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
Yes!!!! But I hope the NRL is not pissed at us and give us a raw deal in other area's! (Touch wood)

RedV65

Juniors
Eels boss Paul Osborne challenges Dragons CEO over decision not to move semi to SFS

• 006549-dtstory-doust.jpg
No chicken feed...St George Illawarra CEO Peter Doust. Picture: Mark Evans Source: The Daily Telegraph

ST GEORGE Illawarra boss Peter Doust runs the risk of being labelled a "chicken" after refusing to take the 2009 NRL finals away from Kogarah Oval.

Parramatta CEO Paul Osborne last night unloaded on Doust and his Dragons board after they voted to keep Sunday's final at their suburban home.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal the decision to forgo either the SFS or ANZ Stadium as an alternative venue has robbed the game of a $1 million gate.
Some 28,000 fans will also be locked out of the most anticipated match of the year as Doust's Dragons give up a guaranteed $250,000 from the NRL.
But Osborne last night challenged his Kogarah counterpart to reconsider, even offering Doust a list of 10 things he could buy with his NRL bounty in a special "Chicken list".
Paul Osborne's Chicken List

So is it fair to say you're calling Dousty, ahem, chicken?
"Oh, no, not at all," Osborne told The Daily Telegraph with a laugh. "I love St George Illawarra and the great Kogarah Oval.
"I played 150 games there. Captained the club. So I would never, ever call anyone there chicken. Well, anyone except for my good mate Justin Poore ... "
The Daily Telegraph revealed last Saturday that Doust was against moving the game from Kogarah because of his club's horrendous 37 per cent finals success rate at the two big venues.
"But, mate, they beat us by 37 points last Friday night, so what's he worried about?" Osborne said of the Dragons.
"And just think of all those Dragons fans he could feed by moving the game.
"In all honesty, his decision is madness. Instead of having 42,000 fans at the Sydney Football Stadium we'll have 17,000 in seats and a few poor buggers squashed on the hill.
"God help us if it rains."
Doust last night failed to return calls from The Daily Telegraph.
Asked about the Dragons' decision to stick with playing the match at Kogarah, NRL boss David Gallop last night said: "The home final system is part of the season schedule which was set in place months ago.
"Unless the Dragons were agreeable we wouldn't overrule them. That would've been unfair to the team and to the many fans who are looking forward to helping their team win on Sunday.
"But having said that, obviously it is disappointing more fans won't get to see the game."
In five finals matches at ANZ Stadium and the SFS, the Dragons have had limited success.
In all games played at both grounds, they still don't manage a pass mark at just 44 per cent.
In comparison, the Red V have won 61 per cent of matches played at Kogarah - including last Friday night's final-round thrashing of the Eels.

Last edited:

STG-Dragon

Juniors
I'm pretty sure that fat prick said he wouldn't move the game from Parra a few days before, he's a hypocrite!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's make-believe media.

Osbourne just taking the piss and they try to make it sound like something more serious.

So is it fair to say you're calling Dousty, ahem, chicken?
"Oh, no, not at all," Osborne told The *tabloid* with a laugh. "I love St George Illawarra and the great Kogarah Oval.
"I played 150 games there. Captained the club."

In The Australian, he said he'd probably stay put at Parramatta Stadium, a little more plausible than a barrel full of chooks.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes!!!! But I hope the NRL is not pissed at us and give us a raw deal in other area's! (Touch wood)

It's not the NRL mate. It's their major shareholder. News Ltd own about half of the NRL, and have their fingers in a few related pies. It is News Ltd that stand to make a motza out the final being moved to a more bums-on-seats venue. It was News that stood to turn a handsome profit from St George, the minor premiers, playing at a different venue.

It was always more about News making a quick buck, and less about 'the game'.

The only fly in the ointment were the minor premiers themselves. Us! We wanted the home ground advantage that we are clearly entitled to. How dare we stand up and say no a large corporation like News Ltd.

Why do you think they ordered their staff writers, editors and other lackies to wage this campaign of beat ups?

Bottom line is that this has been a victory for the good guys.

Fui!!!

Juniors
I'm pretty sure that fat prick said he wouldn't move the game from Parra a few days before, he's a hypocrite!

Yeah but our stadium is actually good;-)

Anyway, I got my tickets in the Away bay in the grandstand. Can't wait till Sunday.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You mean apart from grandstands catching on fire?
Fui!!! said:
Anyway, I got my tickets in the Away bay in the grandstand. Can't wait till Sunday.
Well done. IMO, anyone who wants to go to this match and misses out only have themselves to blame.

Btw, does anyone know what the Masons are doing for handouts this week?

TheRev

First Grade
Wont someone.. please.. think of the Masons??

They can change the rules in 2010 if they want, as long as its fair going in. While they are at it, they can fix a few other things, the Ch9 team r always harping on about removing the corner posts, and also removing double-movement from the game, and those are 2 things id fully support.

big pat

Coach

the only thing parra stadium is good for is for, is feral geniuss like yourself who come here and have a sook, those mean st george people won't let my dole bludging mates into kogarah boo hoo, any one got tissues.