What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL boss David Gallop offers $250,000 incentive to Dragons to move semi final to SFS

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I highly doubt Bennett and Doust will agree to the deal, particularly if we fire tonight in front of the home crowd.

The Telegraph, through Rothfield and others, have a real agenda and it is disheartening to see the NRL jump on board.
I'm not convinced they did. More likely Gallop has simply put it on the table, generated from his office and mainly influenced by money. Remember the report is from News Ltd. IMO, the tabloid hacks are just hangers-on in all this.

And fire up tonight. Show them what a home crowd looks like.

The Popper

Bench
Just was reminded of an interesting point from last year. The Storm lost to the Warriors in the 1 v 8 match and lost its home ground advantage the next week, despite being number 1 on the ladder. Why would we risk going to Melbourne or Brisbane if we lose at the SFS?
Exactly, tell the NRL to take a running jump. You blokes have earned...so keep it!

Doug2234

First Grade
Damn some people have gone crazy.. I see nothing in that article about the game moving grounds. Only that the offer is on the table....

IF and only IF the game is moved should you all fire up... At this stage nothing has happened.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
im so angry its not funny, thtat this is being suggested.

Etihad stadium in melbourne has a bigger capacity, yet Melbourne are playing at Olympic Park.

Cronulla and Manly played home semis in their respective sh*t holes last year.

The Titans have said they wont move venues if they draw the broncos in the finals...

Pisses me off.

Why isn't this News Ltd piece of crap instead pressuring the f**king Storm to move theirs? Olympic Park holds far less than Kogarah.

Ridiculous.
Actually gents, you'll find Melbourne, if they have a home final in week one, will play at Etihad.

Divine

Bench
I think the crowd will send Mr Gallop a message tonight...

Last edited:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Actually gents, you'll find Melbourne, if they have a home final in week one, will play at Etihad.
They're still playing in melbourne regardless, they will still have a substantial home ground advantage. We move our game, we lose ours completely.

The only way I'd agree to it was if opposition fans were not allowed to wear their jerseys or carry flags. If we move this game, all the work throughout the season was for nothing.

Last edited:

big pat

Coach

can you provide a link as to where this was stated. and btw its still in melbourne, not likely they will be asked to move to the sfs.

silverex

Bench
Damn some people have gone crazy.. I see nothing in that article about the game moving grounds. Only that the offer is on the table....

IF and only IF the game is moved should you all fire up... At this stage nothing has happened.

Doug, I think the reason that people are fired up, me included, is that this possible move has even been suggested. Another reason is that it's always the Dragons that are targetted.

If the NRL sets the rules at the beginning of the season , then they should stick by it. If they don't like it, then change it. But not 10 days before the game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I have a friend who is a club member of the Melbourne Storm, I asked her and she told me. Your loss if you don't believe me, but it's gonna be at Etihad, if they get it.

big pat

Coach
next year when saints get their ground allocation, they should play the parra home game at wollongong, then they will have to spend all their dole money trying to get there.

silverex

Bench
It probably will be anyway, big pat. I think they alternate them year to year.

This year Eels at Kogarah, next year at the 'Gong.

Doug2234

First Grade
Doug, I think the reason that people are fired up, me included, is that this possible move has even been suggested. Another reason is that it's always the Dragons that are targetted.

If the NRL sets the rules at the beginning of the season , then they should stick by it. If they don't like it, then change it. But not 10 days before the game.

Silverex i understand that you are fired up but i cant see it being moved. Can you honestly see Doust making a deal with the devil and changing grounds for the Semi - seriously!. His corporate sponsers would tie him up by his thumbs!!

The Telegraph keeps getting under everyones skin and me for one am not going to let the f**khead's at the Tele piss me off anymore..

The guys at the Tele are probably sitting back laughing there arse off at how pissed off they make Dragons fans on this forum.

This is an OFFER - not an ORDER by the NRL. So your statement on the rules is irrelevant. The NRL know they will make 1 million in gate takings if the game is played at a bigger ground... as a business your would be stupid not to look at the idea - but again, this doesnt mean it will happen

Silverex i understand that you are fired up but i cant see it being moved. Can you honestly see Doust making a deal with the devil and changing grounds for the Semi - seriously!. His corporate sponsers would tie him up by his thumbs!!

He has screwed us before.

Dizzychik

Juniors
This has to be another one of these telecrap stories again as I don't see it mentioned anywhere else.

Doust has publicly announced kogarah for the home final and can't back out now. Plus home field advantage is way too important to give up.

Btw, manly was not forced to move their home final for the last two years in a row... Gallop just made them let the souths drummers play in 2007. :sarcasm:

TheRev

First Grade
This is an OFFER - not an ORDER by the NRL. So your statement on the rules is irrelevant. The NRL know they will make 1 million in gate takings if the game is played at a bigger ground... as a business your would be stupid not to look at the idea - but again, this doesnt mean it will happen

Yep its actually nice of the NRL to give us an offer, but there is also some merit in dragons fans being vocal, i.e. to ensure that Doust understands that his clubs supporters are not in favour of the proposal (just incase he was considering it).

My annoyance was more about the telegraphs cheap shots, i.e. replaying the 'poor juniors' card, 'current affairs style', where its some sort of gross injustice that we don't give away free passes to blockbuster finals games.

Personally, I'd much rather a crowded 20,000 seat stadium, than a 50,000 seat stadium (ill watch it at home pr the pub if its a sell-out), and if the NRL want to change the rules for 2010, thats a different story, and I know Bennett was criticising the Top8 system in the Herald today,