What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL club merger's

Loudstrat

Coach
Maybe every suburb should have a team. Is 180 enough?
179 is ample. Punt Canterbury. Perfect.

Any new club; be it a merger, relocation or brand new entity is not going to "smash" existing crowd figures anyway. For the first year they will see good figures due to the novelty factor but when they settle in their figures will sit at or around the NRL average. If they struggle 2-3 or 4 years in there is a big chance that crowds will drop to below that NRL average. And that includes Perth.

Ill say it again. Crowds are NOT AS IMPORTANT AS EVERYONE IS BANGING ON ABOUT.
This is probably true.

And I absolutely dread the day that crowds are treated as such. Without crowds, you may as well play in a movie studio. Without crowds, you get no passion, no following. Without crowds, the entire culture of RL changes forever - into something that I'm not sure is of any value in sport.

My hope for RL is that it looks at other big TV sports from Cricket to EPL to Tennis - and see that crowds are valued so highly that some sports are willing to morph to maintain them.

The day TV interests dominate the selection of new teams over crowds and supporter base is the day to write the obituary.

How to keep people is hard and there is nothing worse then seeing clubs die or in big debt but then there is nothing worse then seeing crap crowds and I don't know the solution.
Maybe Sydney could have a 2 up/2 down relegation alongside the NRL ???
So what is your solution for the areas that have trouble drawing crowds?

newman

First Grade
A recent survey poll showed that Rugby League was the second most watched sport in New Zealand and it really wasn't that far behind Union at all.

More teams in New Zealand = More interest

From what I've read there's likely to be at least 1 NZ bid in when the NRL calls for them.

"A recent survey" (at this point sight unseen) is your foundation for uprooting two existing clubs and shipping them to another country? This "more interest" you speak of, is it worth alienating a hell of a big portion of the biggest rugby league market in the world. You know, Sydney, the city that has the same population as the entire nation of NZ?

docbrown

Coach
Doc, it'll obviously be a match every weekend in NZ, not every other as is the case now.

Sorry I think you misread.

2 games a week out of 9 or 10 broadcast that would have a NZ team involved (for 2 teams obviously). It was in response to what a second New Zealand team would add to the competition and what that means in terms of finances.

At the moment there are usually 4 to 5 Super Rugby games a week involving New Zealand.

3 Rugby League teams in New Zealand = 3 games of rugby league that interests that local market.

An already close gap narrows.

"A recent survey" (at this point sight unseen) is your foundation for uprooting two existing clubs and shipping them to another country? This "more interest" you speak of, is it worth alienating a hell of a big portion of the biggest rugby league market in the world. You know, Sydney, the city that has the same population as the entire nation of NZ?

I think you might be trying to twist my words here a little here. You made a claim that Rugby League is a distant second to Rugby Union. My opinion on New Zealand is based on more than just that one recent survey obviously but that survey's results contradict your statement -

While the Horizon Research survey predictably shows rugby union is New Zealand’s most watched sport, rugby league is a clear second.
The top four most watched sports in the country are rugby union (68% of adults), rugby league (48%), netball (41%) and motor sport (39%).
Rugby union is watched by 70% of men and 59% of women.
Rugby league is watched by 50% of adult men and 43.2% of women. League has a higher number of followers in younger age brackets, with fewer watching it as age increases. People with higher incomes tend to watch slightly more league than those with lower incomes.
The rugby league audience is young, richer and actually growing and represents about half the population. It's a combined media market slightly larger than Sydney and whereas Sydney is split between 9 teams New Zealand only has 1.

http://www.thewarriors.com.au/defau...rugby-league-big-hit-with-new-zealand-viewers

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
How to keep people is hard and there is nothing worse then seeing clubs die or in big debt but then there is nothing worse then seeing crap crowds and I don't know the solution.
Maybe Sydney could have a 2 up/2 down relegation alongside the NRL ???

All the clubs relegated would go broke within the space of a year.

Teddyboy

First Grade
179 is ample. Punt Canterbury. Perfect.

This is probably true.

And I absolutely dread the day that crowds are treated as such. Without crowds, you may as well play in a movie studio. Without crowds, you get no passion, no following. Without crowds, the entire culture of RL changes forever - into something that I'm not sure is of any value in sport.

My hope for RL is that it looks at other big TV sports from Cricket to EPL to Tennis - and see that crowds are valued so highly that some sports are willing to morph to maintain them.

The day TV interests dominate the selection of new teams over crowds and supporter base is the day to write the obituary.

So what is your solution for the areas that have trouble drawing crowds?

Well dirt cheap tickets,food and drink would be a start and better kick off times otherwise I don't know.
I also wish the grounds were smaller but with the big games going to the SFS, as there be nothing better then seeing a packed Penrith/Sharks/Souths playing in a 12000-16000 seater stadium but could that sort of crowd make the club enough money ?.

Rugby League has and had some many issues going on for it's future but iam sure you could write a book about it.

turbodewd

Juniors
Id love to see Easts and Cronulla merge - one team has money, the other has juniors and their fanbase added together would actually be reasonable. Id call them the Bondi Sharks.

Its a crime that the so-called Sydney Roosters arent that flash at drawing a crowd. They should be able to average 20,000 at home at least if they are indeed Sydney's team.

betcats

Referee
Id love to see Easts and Cronulla merge - one team has money, the other has juniors and their fanbase added together would actually be reasonable. Id call them the Bondi Sharks.

Its a crime that the so-called Sydney Roosters arent that flash at drawing a crowd. They should be able to average 20,000 at home at least if they are indeed Sydney's team.

They are not Sydneys team. They are the Eastern Suburbs no matter what their name says, their fans are white collar f**kwits and british expats who like them cause they see em drinking poofy coffee drinks at bondi.

And who the f**k has Juniors?

Grapple

Bench
I love a good coffee. I'm not sure what's a poofy one though? I'm scared to think i might be indulging in poofy coffee on a regular basis.

adamkungl

Immortal
They are not Sydneys team. They are the Eastern Suburbs no matter what their name says, their fans are white collar f**kwits and british expats who like them cause they see em drinking poofy coffee drinks at bondi.

Exactly. f**k you all, we're better than you.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I love a good coffee. I'm not sure what's a poofy one though? I'm scared to think i might be indulging in poofy coffee on a regular basis.

Hell, every coffee seems like its named after an Italian fashion designer so you cant win mate

Just be comfortable in your sexuality and keep ordering your skinny latte or double shot macchiato and enjoy it man, lifes too short

Teddyboy

First Grade

Nice one.

Latest posts