What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL could never expand into Perth. Check this out...

LESStar58

Referee
A new book has been recently released (or at least I have just seen it), The HIstory Of Rugby League Clubs which has all the old sides (Cumberland, University, Newtown etc) and the 'newer' defunct clubs (Crushers, Rams, Chargers etc).

One thing I found interesting was in the Western Reds part of the book. According to the book, prior to 1995 Western Australia had the most number of junior RL players outside of NSW and QLD.

The ARL/SL/NRL GOT IT ALL WRONG by pulling the pin on the Reds! Where do you think the juniors have gone now? TO yawnion thats where and I think the chances of an NRL side being based in Perth ever again are remote at best. Its a damn shame.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
to union....or just quit all together, WARL would have to have one the poorest managements in australia this year has just highlighted it, all grades are shit the standard has dropped after next years 18's.... MAYBE the year after W.A will be just as good as S.A

joondalup_giant

Staff member
and now that union is expanding to a 'super 14' league in W.A will be gOOOOOOOOrn unless they pull there fingers out

joshreading

Staff member
I think the only REALISTIC chance is (as i call them) 'The Titans', a combined team playing in Perth Adelaide and Darwin. Ok it is not the perfect option but the only one that has some sort of chance of coming off.

Think:
Economically: The potential broadbased corporate support of WA, SA and NT companies. Each City by itself is fairly weak on a corporate front.
Population: about the same size as Sydney.
Juniors: a combined base (especially including the NT) would have a stable base of junior clubs to build on. And one that can still rapidly expand with opportunity.
Television: Because 6 games would be in Perth, 6 in Adelaide and One in Darwin 'home games' would frequently be able to be broadcasted live non-hosting areas wihtout affecting the turnup for the game.
Players - a combined team could easily have up to five potential 'local' NRL based starters from the beginning of the club. Imagine the boost over such teams as the Storm.

It could work, what chance do you think either Perth, Adelaide etc. have against any other the other bidding cities? Zip but combined they could put forward a confident proposal. I think you might even find (and I know people have been burnt) but that News Ltd might go joint venture and sign a support period for such a venture as they have with the Storm.

Bring the Titans on!!

obsulete

Juniors
joondalup_giant said:
to union....or just quit all together, WARL would have to have one the poorest managements in australia this year has just highlighted it, all grades are sh*t the standard has dropped after next years 18's.... MAYBE the year after W.A will be just as good as S.A

Oi quit bagging SA, we're better than Tasmania!!!

obsulete

Juniors
joshreading said:
I think the only REALISTIC chance is (as i call them) 'The Titans', a combined team playing in Perth Adelaide and Darwin. Ok it is not the perfect option but the only one that has some sort of chance of coming off.

Think:
Economically: The potential broadbased corporate support of WA, SA and NT companies. Each City by itself is fairly weak on a corporate front.
Juniors: a combined base (especially including the NT) would have a stable base of junior clubs to build on. And one that can still rapidly expand with opportunity.
Television: Because 6 games would be in Perth, 6 in Adelaide and One in Darwin 'home games' would frequently be able to be broadcasted live non-hosting areas wihtout affecting the turnup for the game.
Players - a combined team could easily have up to five potential 'local' NRL based starters from the beginning of the club. Imagine the boost over such teams as the Storm.

It could work, what chance do you think either Perth, Adelaide etc. have against any other the other bidding cities? Zip but combined they could put forward a confident proposal. I think you might even find (and I know people have been burnt) but that News Ltd might go joint venture and sign a support period for such a venture as they have with the Storm.

Bring the Titans on!!

I dont like it. I'd rather see 10 SA juniors playing throughout the NRL, or the Rams back in the ranks after things are sorted locally, and getting 10 players into the NRL will be a good indication of that happening.

obsulete

Juniors
joshreading said:

Think:

Bring the Titans on!!

I dont like it. I'd rather see 10 SA juniors playing throughout the NRL, or the Rams back in the ranks after things are sorted locally, and getting 10 players into the NRL will be a good indication of that happening.

Jeffles

Bench
My path would be more conservative.

1) Bring baack regualr premiership matches in Adelaide, Perth and Darwin (and now maybe Tassie)

2) Better TV coverage of NRL in the emerging states. Live coverage for Grand Final and NRL TV matches starting at no later than 10:30pm at night.

3) More funding and development work in these areas to capitalise on the publicity.

4) More rep games etc involving emerging states. Possibly an emerging states championship. This would give the more talented players room to develop their career towards NRL.

5) Look to the possibility of setting up clubs in Adelaide and Perth.

Nuke

Staff member
I agree with Jeffles.

It makes a lot more sense, and should be a lot easier to set up. Unfortunately, I don't believe the NRL will be able to get Ch9 (Perth) to broadcast games at a decent hour (even Origins and the Grand Final). Ch9 Perth is owned by a different guy than who owns the rest of Ch9 in Australia. The only way to get them to give us the decent hours would be to bring games to Perth, get the public interest back up, and then Ch9 might realise people actually want to watch League.

If Joshreading's Titans thing got up and running, I'd probably play 5 in Perth, 5 in Adelaide, and 3 in Darwin. For a team that encompasses WA, SA, and NT, to only give Darwin 1 game is a tad unfair.

stevo

Juniors
joshreading said:

Think:

Bring the Titans on!!

yet u only want to give darwin one game

u'll get better crowds in darwin

joshreading

Staff member
I used to live in the Territory (that is where I was converted to RL - I am victorian) and I guess you could have more then one game but you still have to recognise the population of the territory is spread over thousands of kilometres - there is only eighty grand (if that) in Darwin.

Think though - Katherine 10 000 people (where I lived) had four junior teams (full clubs that is) in most levels and had atleast 3 senior clubs I think. Superleague did hit it but I think it is still fairly strong.

joshreading

Staff member
Oh.. the nature of the Titans ultimately implies that one day when the team is strong enough and Rugby League is strong enough in these areas that another team would come into Perth or Adelaide and the Titans would become a single City team (or maybe two with Darwin).

You can see your ten SA juniors playing but they will be playing with WA juniors and NT juniors until a Single City team is established.

joshreading

Staff member
I want to ask a question ... In the present environment who thinks that either Perth - Adelaide or even Darwin could support an NRL team on its own? Why?

Jeffles

Bench
Perth has a Rugby conciousness via hosting Union games and a longer history in RL. They are also the larger market of the three increasing the prospects of attracting corporate support and media support.

BUT

The deterioration of the game at grass roots post Superleague is a concern. News Ltd put money into these areas to achieve its end ie. control of Rl. Now it has pulled back and taken money out of RL for its own purposes. RL in these areas is at a stage where a senior team of any level is a pipe dream.

obsulete

Juniors
Adelaide could hold its own supporter wise. The Rams enjoyed healthy crowds even though the team sat at the bottom of the table most of its existence.

SA has suffered too since Superleague as far as local league goes, virtually becoming non existent in recent years. And chasing sponsorship will be a mission since people have been burnt once before.

But everything's do-able and there's potetial and people here keen to give it a shot.

thescrum.co.uk

Juniors
I think all other states could do it. they have proved it in the past. but League have missed their chances. they had good support in both South Australia and Perth with the Rams and the Reds. It is a shame they have now gone. Union will set a team up in Perth, and im sure they will do very well, they have the support there. Without League to follow, what else can they do? plus there are a lot of South Africans and Kiwi's out there. But we all know Union and League can work side by side. I would rather people in Perth watching Union then watching AFL.

xxxx!

Juniors
We all know that the state of RL is worse now than before the reds or rams started . The good news is that the RL and AFL draw from different suppoter bases . The excellent crowds for the Brisbane Lions and the good crowds for the Sydney Swans have not detracted from the RL crowds .So RL will live or die on it's own merits .However the introduction of a RU side will have dire consequences in the short and medium term on RL .Basically there will be another drain on sponsorships and media attention and juniors will be drawn away from RL to RU .Of course in the very long term there will be a general increase in interest for rugby and RL will syphon off part of that .But by then it will be all too late .

bender

Juniors
I think that the Titans is an option which is well worth considering, but i think that there needs to be some major changes. First, I don't see a team spread across the three states as getting the corporate changes to pay the players bill. And there would be major difficulties getting a competitive team for some time. I assume the side would be based in Sydney to help with the player situation.

Think out aloud, i would make some suggestions:

1. Why limit the side to the emerging states. Gold Coast, Central Coast and Wellington all want NRL teams (while other country areas who could never support a team eg Coffs Harbour, PNG, Toowoomba etc) deserve a game every now and then. I would include all expansive areas, with the NRL putting a big emphasis on these games. Team Colours could change according to the local area they are playing in to try to build different identities in each area.

2. the Titans team is a difficult one. Clearly the side could not spend $million like any other NRL team. I would make the side open to any registered players not contracted to NRL clubs. I would envisage that the team would change largely depending on the area it is playing in. For example if playing in Wellington, it would be mostly Bartercard Cup Players wanting a chance to represent, if playing in Perth, several Perth locals would be used. The advantage of this is that the team saves massively on player wages bills (probably at least 3 million dollars) and also on travel bills for their players.

3. Finally, i would not necessarilly admit the titans as a club into the NRL since it is likely that they would be on the end of massive hidings. I would simply make them the bye. i.e. I prefer that a club must earn their 2 points from the bye by beating them. That way, club records wont be artificially enhanced by the thrashings they get. But that is not necessary although it would ensure that clubs play their best sides which would be good for promotions.

The advantage of this type of idea is that it builds the game in non traditional areas, but it solves a lot of the short term problems with the large player wages and travel bills. In fact, in contrast, it is highly likely that the games would be reasonably profitable. for each of the hosting areas since expenses would be so low for the new team.

nqboy

First Grade
The Titans sound like a pipedream to me but using local players in different venues and NRL clubs having to earn the two points for the bye by beating them is interesting.

nqboy

First Grade
The Titans sound like a pipedream to me (relocation is a far better option) but using local players in different venues and NRL clubs having to earn the two points for the bye by beating them is interesting.