What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL crushes ratings record!!!

I sign off Kayo every year as soon as the Sharks are out of the competition, and that is the reason I give them.
At the beginning of this year they gave me two months at $5 per month for two screens. I took up the offer.
I'm now back on, but I'm getting it paid for by someone else, it's just in my name only and I get to use it.
All wins for me.

Iamback

Coach
I sign off Kayo every year as soon as the Sharks are out of the competition, and that is the reason I give them.
At the beginning of this year they gave me two months at $5 per month for two screens. I took up the offer.
I'm now back on, but I'm getting it paid for by someone else, it's just in my name only and I get to use it.
All wins for me.

That is common and the reason no streamer here has got the big ticket events.

US and Europe they do but the higher population allows it

beave

Coach
The more that people watch on ad-free subscription services, the less need there is to try to cram ads into the game. People are paying for the privilege of quality. They want a better standard of game, not more ads.
I just bought a new 4K projector for my media room and the difference in picture quality between 9HD and fox league 502 when flipping back and forth between them is extremely noticeable that the 9HD feed to the public is inferior than the fox league. On a smaller screen it may not be as noticeable but on a 110inch screen it's plainly obvious.

I hate the 9 commentators, throw in the ads as well and I don't know why anyone would watch their shit tbh.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach

they will know how much money they can make and bid accordingly

How many subs does it take to cover the $500m?

That is why it won't be 100% a streaming service. Has to take in FTA and commercials to make it viable

Wb1234

Referee
How many subs does it take to cover the $500m?

That is why it won't be 100% a streaming service. Has to take in FTA and commercials to make it viable

Iamback

Coach

Yes but again. I have Kayo for

NRL
F1
ESPN and the cricket.

I think the rest of their programming is shit but having that and charging extra for the Foxtel as a whole.

Allows them to afford to run Binge and Kayo who wouldn't exist without the rest.

They are able to use the producers, Camera men, Studios etc all year around for multiple sports. This allows the overheads to be lower

1m or so subscribers wouldn't be enough to cover it, So cross promotions and Commercials + A FTA partner are going to be part of any deal

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fox pay nrl around $225 mill cash a year. That’s around 400-500k subscribers (depending on number of people bundling with other fox products v stand alone Kayo subscribers etc) plus advertising revenue to make a profit.

Wb1234

Referee
Yes but again. I have Kayo for

NRL
F1
ESPN and the cricket.

I think the rest of their programming is shit but having that and charging extra for the Foxtel as a whole.

Allows them to afford to run Binge and Kayo who wouldn't exist without the rest.

They are able to use the producers, Camera men, Studios etc all year around for multiple sports. This allows the overheads to be lower

1m or so subscribers wouldn't be enough to cover it, So cross promotions and Commercials + A FTA partner are going to be part of any deal
I have foxtel mainly for nrl

dunno what point your getting at

any streaming service is going to buy content they can afford

if they buy the league they will make millions from it

Wb1234

Referee
Fox pay nrl around $225 mill cash a year. That’s around 400-500k subscribers (depending on number of people bundling with other fox products v stand alone Kayo subscribers etc) plus advertising revenue to make a profit.
Yet you believe they pay afl 400 million for less subscribers

lmao

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yet you believe they pay afl 400 million for less subscribers

lmao
We have no idea how many subscribers are primarily driven by any one sport.
They paid afl $400mill, or there abouts , because they had to or risk losing it To a competitor. A risk they weren’t willing to take.
they didn’t have to for nrl, hence why we got short changed and why they will make a lot of profit, I suspect, for the next 5 years out of nrl. Wouldn’t want them catching a cold eh.

Wb1234

Referee
We have no idea how many subscribers are primarily driven by any one sport.
They paid afl $400mill, or there abouts , because they had to or risk losing it To a competitor. A risk they weren’t willing to take.
they didn’t have to for nrl, hence why we got short changed and why they will make a lot of profit, I suspect, for the next 5 years out of nrl. Wouldn’t want them catching a cold eh.
So foxtel are losing 250 million on the afl tv deal ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
So foxtel are losing 250 million on the afl tv deal ?
Eh? Like I said we don’t know how many subscribers are being driven by each sport. I guess they do, and know what the max is worth paying.
Presuming fox thought paying $400mill for afl was still profitable then either they get enough subscribers to cover it , or they are using the sweet deal they got from nrl to subsidise the afl cost!

given stan was willing to pay same and paramount more then it’s safe to assume it has enough subscribers to cover those sorts of figures.

Wb1234

Referee
Eh? Like I said we don’t know how many subscribers are being driven by each sport. I guess they do, and know what the max is worth paying.
Presuming fox thought paying $400mill for afl was still profitable then either they get enough subscribers to cover it , or they are using the sweet deal they got from nrl to subsidise the afl cost!

given stan was willing to pay same and paramount more then it’s safe to assume it has enough subscribers to cover those sorts of figures.
Ratings shows whose watching what

hardly anyone watches afl

if you think foxtel almost doubled how much they paid afl then you need your head examined

and if they did overpay that much news ltd shares would’ve cratered

there is no way in the world foxtel willl be prepared to lose 250 mill pa on their second rating sport (in many ways it’s just a filler for them)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ratings shows whose watching what

hardly anyone watches afl

if you think foxtel almost doubled how much they paid afl then you need your head examined

and if they did overpay that much news ltd shares would’ve cratered

there is no way in the world foxtel willl be prepared to lose 250 mill pa on their second rating sport (in many ways it’s just a filler for them)
You think far too simplisticly!

the avg afl game gets around 350-400k on fox, fox go and kayo, then there’s the knock on value of fans also subscribing to a package with binge or rest of fox programming,
given not every subscriber is watching the same game its fair to assume there’s many more than 400k subscribers driven by afl.

then like I said they got a very cheap deal from nrl and could well be subsidising afl price using that In simalr way ch9 used its savings from nrls sweet deal to buy union.
Keeping afl away from Stan and paramount was massive for them and they were clearly willing to pay a premium to do so.

Wb1234

Referee
You think far too simplisticly!

the avg afl game gets around 350-400k on fox, fox go and kayo, then there’s the knock on value of fans also subscribing to a package with binge or rest of fox programming,
given not every subscriber is watching the same game its fair to assume there’s many more than 400k subscribers driven by afl.

then like I said they got a very cheap deal from nrl and could well be subsidising afl price using that In simalr way ch9 used its savings from nrls sweet deal to buy union.
Keeping afl away from Stan and paramount was massive for them and they were clearly willing to pay a premium to do so.
Yeh like I said filler content compared to number one

it’s sad you are this gullible

the numbers just don’t make any sense

the maximum fox can pay is around 220 million for the afl

nrl Is averaging around 500k and crushes afl

you think fox paid afl so much they can’t afford to keep league away from Stan

cmon !

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh like I said filler content compared to number one

it’s sad you are this gullible

the numbers just don’t make any sense

the maximum fox can pay is around 220 million for the afl

nrl Is averaging around 500k and crushes afl

you think fox paid afl so much they can’t afford to keep league away from Stan

cmon !
Look believe what you want, reality is reality and the reality is they are getting somewhere in the $380-400mill a year from fox in 2025-.

you don’t know what the subscription rate or revenue is across the fox platforms or what the profit line is across the two key sports, they do.
I suspect they got a great deal from nrl which allowed them to pay overs for afl.
What happens come 2028 will be interesting to say the least. Maybe fox are banking on another Vlandys sweet heart deal?

Wb1234

Referee
Look believe what you want, reality is reality and the reality is they are getting somewhere in the $380-400mill a year from fox in 2025-.

you don’t know what the subscription rate or revenue is across the fox platforms or what the profit line is across the two key sports, they do.
I suspect they got a great deal from nrl which allowed them to pay overs for afl.
What happens come 2028 will be interesting to say the least. Maybe fox are banking on another Vlandys sweet heart deal?
Yeh I’m not gullible that’s for sure

the chances of foxtel actually paying that are as good as me winning lotto

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh I’m not gullible that’s for sure

the chances of foxtel actually paying that are as good as me winning lotto
So fox just sat in the room in front of the media whilst afl announced made up numbers? yeh seems likely.

heres a thought, maybe ptv rights can sell for that much and we just got totally shafted?

Latest posts