What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL derail Ingliss deal

BranVan3000

Coach
Agreed.

What have Ben Lowe and Beau Champion done to get shafted? Beau has passion for Souths, you can see that every time he scores. Is he a Souths junior? What about loyalty to your players? Not a good look for Souths.

How come the Storm don't have to pay the rest of Inglis's contract that we don't make up?
Good question.... It might come to that if Inglis doesn't move on his stance? Then they'd either be forced to unload talent to fit him in or pay for a portion of his contract, if my understanding of the rules are correct?

Ziggy the God

First Grade
you should get your facts right ... the Dragons wanted to register Gasnier under the cap at 50k for the remainder for 2010 before bumping him up to 400k+. however the NRL refused to register a cointract for him for this year unless he was under the cap at 120k.

WOW, $120k. Then there is Lockyer in the cap for something like $250k.

We have to have Inglis under ours at $500k.

Big Sam

First Grade
There'll be a revolt up Chalmers St (led by me) if they get rid of Champion and Lowe. They were both our most consistent players last season and are right on the cusp of Origin selection for their respective states.

Looks like richo's playing favourites again by not releasing Wesser and Asotasi.

BranVan3000

Coach
WOW, $120k. Then there is Lockyer in the cap for something like $250k.

We have to have Inglis under ours at $500k.
Surely NRL don't have ANY sort of power in dictating what he goes in the cap for? Isn't that to be agreed upon by the player, his manager and the club?

I think Souths just need to re-examine their third party arrangements.

BranVan3000

Coach
There'll be a revolt up Chalmers St (led by me) if they get rid of Champion and Lowe. They were both our most consistent players last season and are right on the cusp of Origin selection for their respective states.

Looks like richo's playing favourites again by not releasing Wesser and Asotasi.

I think releasing Asotasi would be a mistake. He is our captain afterall.

Big Sam

First Grade
I think releasing Asotasi would be a mistake. He is our captain afterall.

He's shown far less in the last 18 months than Lowe and Champion. Plus we have a number of players now who demonstrate more leadership on and off field than Roy.

BranVan3000

Coach
He's shown far less in the last 18 months than Lowe and Champion. Plus we have a number of players now who demonstrate more leadership on and off field than Roy.
It's a mentality thing, if they don't show loyalty to the captain of all people, who in the team is going to feel safe? Who is going to welcome Inglis when their captain got kicked out for him?

And we don't know how Roy handles himself off-field, it's not just about screaming your lungs out on the field.

I won't bother touching his form in the last 18 months, you know full well he's come back from a major injury and was looking quite good towards the back half of the season.

themacemaceman

Juniors
with all the media hype surely there is 3 more potential third party sponsors watching this circus who might want to get on board and this time do it by the book?

Galeforce

Bench
i am also surprised that Lowe and Champion have been nominated , however as i consider , i believe this is a long term solution . i.e. both have their current contracts ending 2011 and i understand there is already interest in Champion for 2012 and beyond and would expect same with Lowe given he most likely will be a Qld origin in 2011. As such , given Burgess ( 'ss) and Luke and Taylor as well as Inglis , we need to let go some replaceable players.
champion is good however backend of 2010 , was NOT great and we do have young centres coming through , besides a must to fit Dylan F into first team in 2011 , especially if Inglis is playing centre.
Lowe can be covered by Eddie P, Shannon M, Jason C not to mention possible switch of Sutton to look to allow Mundine to slot into 5/8.

I thought Inglis would be full back , however if Bennett is coming in 2012 and then high chance Darius Boyd follows , then perhaps Wesser covering fullback for 2011 makes sense. Also we have potential fullback in Mcqueen, Mansour in 2011 and definitely in later years young Roberts who looks DYNAMITE ( Roberts could be a surprise explosion for us in later 2011)

BranVan3000

Coach
i am also surprised that Lowe and Champion have been nominated , however as i consider , i believe this is a long term solution . i.e. both have their current contracts ending 2011 and i understand there is already interest in Champion for 2012 and beyond and would expect same with Lowe given he most likely will be a Qld origin in 2011. As such , given Burgess ( 'ss) and Luke and Taylor as well as Inglis , we need to let go some replaceable players.
champion is good however backend of 2010 , was NOT great and we do have young centres coming through , besides a must to fit Dylan F into first team in 2011 , especially if Inglis is playing centre.
Lowe can be covered by Eddie P, Shannon M, Jason C not to mention possible switch of Sutton to look to allow Mundine to slot into 5/8.

I thought Inglis would be full back , however if Bennett is coming in 2012 and then high chance Darius Boyd follows , then perhaps Wesser covering fullback for 2011 makes sense. Also we have potential fullback in Mcqueen, Mansour in 2011 and definitely in later years young Roberts who looks DYNAMITE ( Roberts could be a surprise explosion for us in later 2011)

We tried that when Lowe got injured, and it left a gaping problem in our defence

Big Sam

First Grade
We could just loan Champion and Lowe over to a Super League club for a season whilst we sort all this out for 2012. The U20s Burgess brother will be on loan to us in 2011 so why couldn't it work the other way.

BranVan3000

Coach
We could just loan Champion and Lowe over to a Super League club for a season whilst we sort all this out for 2012. The U20s Burgess brother will be on loan to us in 2011 so why couldn't it work the other way.
I dunno how such things work, but that'd be better than losing them for good

Anyway there are far more suitable players we could look at for getting rid of

I'm sure there are performance clauses in everyone's contracts, though it might not have been enough time since renewal to get rid of Talanoa and Wesser on that basis. Crocker is the most likely candidate, and as far as I'm concerned he's never earned his stripes. Perhaps this would be his year but it's no big loss.

hindyrabbit

Juniors
can we please get all the illawarra fans off this souths forum. i do think it is sad that even after you win your FIRST comp you can't just enjoy it. i'm sure you know everything about the game and have played 300+ games for the club. well done.
now on the situation at hand, it is sad that noone actually knows how the salary cap works. lets make it simple $5 million each club, who pays them is up to the club. i am also confused how souths had $200,000 in third party payments that may have all got knocked back but now have to pay him $500,000 in the salary cap. my maths tells me it should $390,000 which is the original $190,000 plus the third party payments. also the quicker the independant commission is put together the better as an ex rooster deciding whats right in the cap is a joke. he couldn't even find a problem with the storm without getting a tip from an ex disgruntled storm employee. i would love to see inglis at souths but feel only the loss of crocker will make the fans happy and the right move for the club. and maybe a lesser known player

Zadar

Juniors
2010 Steelers - Oh that hurts - nearly as much as it must have hurt Souths missing out on making the semis yet again - NOT.

Of the 13 listed - 8 are Dragons local juniors. And yes it is good coaching. Most other team supporters laughed when Saints bought Weyman, same with Priddis and for what they paid for both those players would not even begin to cover Burgess's price.

might want to check your stats there buddy, only gasnier and nightingale are dragon juniors, morris cooper creagh hornby hunt all from the gong area. your atarting to sound like a souths supporter claiming everyone is from your junior base.

Dragons01

First Grade
might want to check your stats there buddy, only gasnier and nightingale are dragon juniors, morris cooper creagh hornby hunt all from the gong area. your atarting to sound like a souths supporter claiming everyone is from your junior base.

Last time I looked they were the St. George Illawarra Dragons that incorporates the Illawarra and the St. George area so therefore any junior from Illawarra or the St. George area are Dragons juniors. Thought it was pretty self explanatory by the name St. George Illawarra Dragons. I think you will also find that those players from the gong as you say not only played their junior football in the Illawarra but also made their first grade debuts for St. George Illawarra, so unless I am missing something they are all St. George Illawarra juniors.

Kingdom

Juniors
Offload some depth and you'll accommodate the fat lazy slob, it's a pretty simple choice.

Then again Richardson will be shown up as the clueless pharkwit he is, if they have to offload some quality players to accomodate Owen Craigie MkII especially given he said Souths won't need offloaed anyone for the deal to proceed guaranteed. Souths keeping the status quo four decades of abject failure.

Wobbygong

First Grade
can we please get all the illawarra fans off this souths forum. i do think it is sad that even after you win your FIRST comp you can't just enjoy it. i'm sure you know everything about the game and have played 300+ games for the club. well done.
now on the situation at hand, it is sad that noone actually knows how the salary cap works. lets make it simple $5 million each club, who pays them is up to the club. i am also confused how souths had $200,000 in third party payments that may have all got knocked back but now have to pay him $500,000 in the salary cap. my maths tells me it should $390,000 which is the original $190,000 plus the third party payments. also the quicker the independant commission is put together the better as an ex rooster deciding whats right in the cap is a joke. he couldn't even find a problem with the storm without getting a tip from an ex disgruntled storm employee. i would love to see inglis at souths but feel only the loss of crocker will make the fans happy and the right move for the club. and maybe a lesser known player

Yes we are enjoying our 16th premiership (we'll run you filthy mixos down even accounting for your start of 13 years ;-) 1908) However at the same time we can also enjoy the tragic soap opera that is SOuffs.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

you may want to check your own facts..

the gong is part of the dragons junior area... so yes, they are dragons juniors...