What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Doping Scandal ...

philstorm

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/doping-scandal-on-league-horizon/2006/08/22/1156012543038.html

Doping scandal on league horizon

Email
Print
Normal font
Large font
Roy Masters
August 23, 2006
Page 1 of 2 | Single page

Advertisement

AN NRL player is understood to be facing a charge of using performance-enhancing drugs after a landmark investigation by the newly formed Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority.

It is understood the breach of the sport's drug rules resulted from a long and comprehensive investigation and not from a positive test from a sample provided by a player.

Should the alleged infraction be prosecuted, as a high-ranking sporting official predicts, it would be the first of this type by the anti-drug authority. It was established in March in the wake of the Balco inquiry in the US.

Ah geez, this isn't good.

I'll just say now, I think it's best if noone actually speculates on the name of people possibly involved in this. I've been to other forums where names have been mentioned, and legally, the ramifications of doing so on the Admin/Mod staff is horrendous. So yeh, don't even jokingly mention names guys because it could have serious legal ramifications on this site ...

Bazal

Post Whore
Crap. This cannot be good. Any ideas on which club is involved or has it been withheld at this stage?

Does that mean the player would be in trouble now and potentially miss playing in the finals (if his team is there)? I hope the team he comes from doesn't suffer because of his stupidity.

Bazal

Post Whore
Where Eagles Dare said:
Does that mean the player would be in trouble now and potentially miss playing in the finals (if his team is there)? I hope the team he comes from doesn't suffer because of his stupidity.

Therein lies a problem. Let's say this player is a halfback. Would his team be in the finals if not for his doping offence? Can a team be punished because of an individual crime? You would think that if this player has been crucial to his side being in the finals, then by extension that side does not deserve to be there. But on the other side of the coin, who's to say that another player or players wouldn't have stepped up without the accused being under the influence of performance enhancing drugs? And how can you punish the others who have worked to get there for the crimes of one idiot? This will be a very difficult case to handle....

borat

Bench
Easy case to handle. Any player taking illegal substances deserves to be suspended from the game for a long time. End of story.

There was a story a few weeks ago in SMH of a high profile player complaining he was being continually drug tested.

Edwahu

Bench
One player been accused after what appears to be the most intensive and targeted campaign against a sport by the anti doping authority doesnt seem like that bad a result. Besides, if they are spending all this time and money doing investigations along with testing, they are going to justify it with at least one bust.

Bazal

Post Whore
borat said:
Easy case to handle. Any player taking illegal substances deserves to be suspended from the game for a long time. End of story.

There was a story a few weeks ago in SMH of a high profile player complaining he was being continually drug tested.

Agreed. However, I feel that a problem might occur if this team is one of the teams fighting for finals spots. Let's say, for arguments sake, that the club in question has got into the 8 on the performances of this player. How, then, do you handle it when this club is only there on the back of a player who has cheated? Can a side be punished for the crimes of one man? Or will his supension be punishment enough?

mickdo

Coach
Bazal said:
Agreed. However, I feel that a problem might occur if this team is one of the teams fighting for finals spots. Let's say, for arguments sake, that the club in question has got into the 8 on the performances of this player. How, then, do you handle it when this club is only there on the back of a player who has cheated? Can a side be punished for the crimes of one man? Or will his supension be punishment enough?
If they were to go all the way without him for the finals then I reckon fair enough. There would always be a stigma, but you can't boot an entire team for one guy being on roids.

Bazal

Post Whore
mickdo said:
If they were to go all the way without him for the finals then I reckon fair enough. There would always be a stigma, but you can't boot an entire team for one guy being on roids.

I agree....but the other sides wouldn't, and to be fair they would have a case. It might be a very difficult one...

Leagueguy

Juniors
Bazal isn't it really unlikely that this player would be a central figure like a halfback in a final 8 team? Or do you know something?

borat

Bench
Bazal said:

If the drugs were taken by the individual without the clubs knowledge then only the player should be suspended. If the club encouraged it or turned a blind eye then the club should be punished also.

Bazal

Post Whore
Leagueguy said:
Bazal isn't it really unlikely that this player would be a central figure like a halfback in a final 8 team? Or do you know something?

Mate I know nothing, just postulating...but I feel it is a point that other clubs would jump on IF it were the case. Personally I think that the club will suffer enough with this players suspension, but would you feel the same, for example, if this team then went on to beat yours in the grand final? It could be a touchy issue is all I'm saying.

borat said:
If the drugs were taken by the individual without the clubs knowledge then only the player should be suspended. If the club encouraged it or turned a blind eye then the club should be punished also.
Agreed.

tbone10

Juniors
I would love to know why these RL players think that they are above the law? They know they are in the Public Eye, They know they are Role Models for young children. Seriously why do they think they can get away with it?

Canard

Immortal
Reading the article, its sounds like its human growth hormone that has been identified as being used.

This would be virtually the first time in WORLD sport that someone would have been busted for this.

The stuff is virtually undetectable in that it leaves the bodies system in something like 4 hours, so in other words if you took it at say midnight before going to be bed you would have to be raided at 2am or so to be busted. (which apparently has been happening).

So in other words the people/person in question no doubt believed that they were not going to be caught.

NOTE:IM NOT DEFENDING THIS PERSON IN ANYWAY HOWEVER!!! Im just speculating as to what the their reasoning may have been.

Latest posts