What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Doping Scandal ...

Pierced Soul

First Grade
the smh and channel 7 can go get f**ked :evil:

i guess the only way to let them know we dont appreicate their crap is to vote with your feet, dont buy their crappy oversized paper and dont watch their news channel (if you are one of the people who participates with ratings)

El Diablo

Post Whore
even though nobody has tested positive i'd wager tonights 7 news will say something like "another day, another scandal in rugby league"

El Diablo

Post Whore
Masters' attempt to worm his way out of this while still making accusations are not even worth posting a link to.

Retire Roy you silly old fossil.

Moffo

Referee
given that afl and ru players have been found guilty of it more recently than league players....why are they targeting league players like animals and raiding their houses?

f**king disgrace

innsaneink

Referee
Moffo said:
given that afl and ru players have been found guilty of it more recently than league players....why are they targeting league players like animals and raiding their houses?

f**king disgrace

Looking at recent years testing numbers produced on NRL on FOX last night, the way they were talking it sounded like each sports governing body determines just how much each sport is targetted.

RL was way ahead of other sports in the numbers tested for 04/05 in their list, I wasnt really listening but my sons comment that cycling & athletics should be at the top of the list (they were mid range to the lower end) seemed pertinent.

bulldog

Bench
Why the hell is this a League story?

EPO easy to obtain from gym

By Josh Massoud
August 24, 2006
ARTIFICIAL growth stimulants are "just a conversation away" for NRL players.
That's the verdict from Sydney's body building fraternity, which was hardly fazed by suggestions league stars might be taking illicit human growth hormones or erythropoietin to assist physical development.
Industry sources last night said footballers simply had to "put the word out" in certain gyms to avail themselves.
"It's a small world - everyone knows everyone," one bodybuilding promoter said.
"If you want something you just put the word out there and you can find it."
One gym owner, who declined to be named, said there were three main ways of obtaining the hard-to-detect stimulants.
A "friendly neighbourhood doctor", a vet or a supplier with international contacts were the most common pathways," the gym owner said.
"For a growth hormone, you're probably looking at about $2000 for a four to six-week course," one source said.
"The average bottle of steroids is about $100, although you need to use a few different ones to get results."
The majority of illegal stimulants are shipped from Mexico or Europe, disguised as genuine drugs in bottles designed to beat customs officials.
These are then passed on to suppliers with contacts in gyms across the country.
While cheaper, the underground option poses far more health risks than going through a GP.
"You've got to be careful with the stuff coming out of the gyms," one insider said.
"The most dangerous risk is growth hormones taken from dead bodies. You can contract all sorts of diseases. The artificial stuff is much better."
Either way it's frighteningly simple for players to get their hands on an unfair boost.
"Most footballers started out at a gym somewhere from way back," the insider said.
"Once you've got the trust of the right gym it's just a conversation away and bingo - you're in."

So because NRL players attend gyms I guess the connection is obvious, is it time for the NRL to try and stand up to the mud-slingers? A dignified silence is good in some circumstances but we're being kicked from pillar to post almost every day now.

Balmain_Boy

"The most dangerous risk is growth hormones taken from dead bodies. You can contract all sorts of diseases."

Jeez that's bloody disgusting.

That Massoud article is absymal. Shameful and embarrassing to Fox.

"I was told, by a reliable source, that on Friday nights at the Fox Sports office they send all the women home and all the men hold tea-bagging sessions.

Industry sources claimed that the tea-bagging can be proven because there are tea-bags available at supermarkets all over the country."

crusader-eel

Juniors
Treated like a common criminal
By James Hooper

August 24, 2006 12:00

PENRITH'S Kiwi Test international Frank Pritchard last night recalled the startling moment when Australian Anti-Doping Agency officers raided his suburban Sydney bedroom at 5am.

Shocked and concerned, Pritchard woke to find his mother in distress along with two ASADA agents demanding to watch him get out of bed and provide a urine sample. The surprise drug-testing tactic has been widely condemned with Players Association chief executive Matthew Rodwell and fellow Penrith stars last night branding it unacceptable and inappropriate.
The move marks the first time ASADA has swooped on a players' home at that hour unannounced.

Living in the western Sydney suburb of West Hoxton with his parents, three brothers and two sisters, a bewildered Pritchard last night spoke of the embarrassment the dawn raid caused his family.

"They came around about five in the morning and knocked on the door and told my mum they wanted to drug test me at home," Pritchard said.

"They asked where I was and when mum told them I was in bed one of them said, 'don't wake him up yet', because they wanted to watch me get out of bed.

"The funny thing was they were at training two hours later testing the whole team as well – and then they tested me the same weekend."

This is horrible. Even if a player was a cheat, they haven't committed murder, for goodness sake! Don't they treat suspected terrorists like this? Talk about going overboard!

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20229033-5001023,00.html

aids

Bench
not justifying anything, but pritchard is bloody huge this year.
i can see why he was targeted.

Alex28

Coach
It isn't "spastic" at all. If the players have nothing to hide, they should have no problems taking their first piss of the day into a jar for testing. I agree midnight raids would be over the top, but 6am? It isn't that early...

Cletus

First Grade
Balmain_Boy said:
"The most dangerous risk is growth hormones taken from dead bodies. You can contract all sorts of diseases."

Jeez that's bloody disgusting.

You're not wrong. You can get mad cow(CJD) disease from human growth hormone if it is taken from cadavers. Most of the medical growth hormone is artificial these days.

Brutus

Referee
East Coast Tiger said:
When you are willing to beileive what is said by Hadley and written by Magnay you probably need to re-evaluate where you get your news. Two of the worst, most dispicable hacks rugby league has ever had the misfortune to come across.

You are very true there. Both owe a lot to rugby league, yet do their utmost to bring it down. Hadley is a disgrace and the sooner Gallop and his men realise this, the better.

Latest posts