What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Doping Scandal ...

When you are willing to beileive what is said by Hadley and written by Magnay you probably need to re-evaluate where you get your news. Two of the worst, most dispicable hacks rugby league has ever had the misfortune to come across.

El Diablo

Post Whore
who can forget when Magnay was on 60 Minutes and she didn't even get the number of teams that compete in the NRL correct :lol:

I had fogotten that but it's a clear illustration of a hack who doesn't know anything about/care about rugby league but for some reason has been given the right to "report" on it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
here is the official transcript of Magnay on 60 Minutes http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes/stories/2004_03_07/story_1050.asp

two excerpts that are amusing

PETER OVERTON: Jacquelin Magnay is a well-respected sports journalist for The Sydney Morning Herald. She's written a number of articles exposing a gang-like culture in football clubs.

What are you hearing?

:lol:

JACQUELIN MAGNAY: I mean, to have four cases of alleged sexual assault in the last three years in the one code, involving just 12 rugby league teams, it seems to me that there is a major, major problem in the game. Police have been investigating a woman's claims...

12 rugby league teams indeed :lol:

eelandia

Juniors
El Diablo said:
seems like a beat up to me

Not saying it isn't true as the SMH obviously have info from a leak, however the story is very wishy washy without any substantiated information. I heard the 2KY boys talking about it and went straight for the paper but came out the other end very unenlightened.

I was thinking that it is probably a lower grader and they are beating it up somewhat, but time will tell, I guess.

Front and backpage story - you'd think they had more to go on than what they have written. I am however always sceptical that SMH are indirectly trying to push their rugby union barrow - call me cynical..!!

JW

Coach
Magnay is a moron. Always has been, and by the looks of things, always will be.

The SMH seem to be on an anti-rugby leage crusade at the moment and I'm certain it is because they will do anything to discredit anything to do with News Ltd. Unfortunately that means RL.

eelandia

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
The SMH seem to be on an anti-rugby leage crusade at the moment and I'm certain it is because they will do anything to discredit anything to do with News Ltd. Unfortunately that means RL.

Yet they push the News inspired Super 14 with everything they have.

ozbash

Referee
The NRL drug scandal has proved to be a fizzer.

Media across the Tasman tipped an NRL player had tested positive in the Australian Anti-Doping Authority's stepped up testing of rugby league.

However, ASADA has confirmed there have been no positive tests in the NRL.

Drug Free Sport New Zealand Chief Executive Graham Steele says the new methods used by ASADA will now be used over here.

Steele says the ASADA's Chief Executive spoke to the New Zealand Board two weeks ago and explained what changes were being made in the drug testing techniques.

http://xtramsn.co.nz/sport/0,,12050-6204461,00.html

ibeme

First Grade
Roy Masters seems to be deeper into this than Magnay. I wonder if it has anything to do with his new book. At least he and Walters are regular Rugby League writers. Magnay only seems to get involved when she sniffs an opportunity to run a smear campaign against league.

I just wish that there was a mainstream avenue for drawing people's attention to the beat-ups that these stories so often are.

eelandia said:
Yet they push the News inspired Super 14 with everything they have.

Rugby league is worth far more to News than the Stupid 14. And note the SMH covers the Sydney RU comp as if it were an-NRL type national giant of a game.

eelandia

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
Rugby league is worth far more to News than the Stupid 14. And note the SMH covers the Sydney RU comp as if it were an-NRL type national giant of a game.

Definitely targeting their broadsheet constituents....I notice each Friday the 'top video and audio' is always headed by whatever rugby union thing is happening that weekend. I have never seen the weekend league video review beat an equivalent union one, even if it is a crappy Test against upper Mongolia.

Perhaps it is reflective of office workers who have NFI attempting to research so they may 'talk the talk' at Friday night drinks with their colleagues in this union-oriented environment? Who knows..!! It certainly isn't reflective of the general Sydney population.

aids

Bench
in summary
no NRL players turned positive results, and it's a drama

AFL players test positive earleir this year and the AFL governing body covered it up and threated to sue any papers who publish their names.

JW

Coach
aids said:
in summary

AFL players test positive earleir this year and the AFL governing body covered it up and threated to sue any papers who publish their names.

It's disgusting.

El Diablo

Post Whore
aids said:
in summary

I think that's still in court as the papers wish to publish their names

t-ba

Post Whore
smh and Channel 7 should, instead of printing or running any RL news, should simply replace it with action stills/shots of RU/AFL with the following words at the bottom of the article/screen:

'Got Agenda?'

Latest posts