What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL expansion being dropped from agenda until at least 2015

lockyno1

Post Whore
no bottom line is we get to sit around frustrated for another two years not knowing if or when.
AFL did no such thing, they still have a number of heartland clubs that lose money every year and would not be sustainable without centralised funding. What they did was make hay while the sun shined and grew their game into areas they felt the need to do so. You really think the under capitalised teams in over represented areas are going to magically become sustainable in 2-3 years because the NRL throws an extra $700k a year at them? the increase in salary cap will take all of that. If we wait for clubs to be sustainable until we expand then my grandkids will be old and grey before we see a Perth team!

2 years is worth it, my goodness the only thing you care about is Perth, care about the game for starters! It is not ideal to add byes in, lets wait and admit 2 teams in 2018 or 2016 at the earliest! You realise all the Melbourne clubs are quite profitable in the AFL, with the exception of North.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Easy to say when you have a team to support.

You are still missing my point, I don't care when teams are admitted, I care about when we find out where teams will be from. I personally have spent countless hours and thousands of $'s supporting our bid, I just want to know if I am wasting my time and money.

lockyno1

Post Whore

You are still missing my point, I don't care when teams are admitted, I care about when we find out where teams will be from. I personally have spent countless hours and thousands of $'s supporting our bid, I just want to know if I am wasting my time and money.

Well you can always support a team you know instead of pot shotting the organization who have the game at heart in the forefront. Don't pull that from your you know what, you want Perth now, and that is the whole point. The game is not ready. Perth might be ready (subjective, you would say yes, I would not), but no other bid is close to being ready. We need two teams to admit, not just 1. Every fan hates byes, it is a boring weekend. Look what you do with your money is up to you.

The Great Dane

First Grade

I understand both sides of argument about waiting to expand, but I have to agree with PR, why can't they just say what areas they are interested in expanding to next and put the rest of the bids out of there misery. Whats the point in stringing bids along and letting them waste there money if they don't plan to expand there in the next round of expansion.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again, you don't get it. I am not saying chose the bids now, I am saying chose the areas for expansion now. If it is to be Perth and Brisbane then say so, if it is to be Gosford and CQ then say so, if it is to be Wellington and PNG then say so. They don't have to chose the bid, they don't have to put a time for introduction on it but they should at least be fair to the bid directors, the corporate supporters and the fans in the bid areas and let them know if they are totally wasting their time for the foreseeable future. They could comfortably do that within the next 6 months by strategically deciding which two regions are the most important for the game/NRL. This would not only put the others out of their misery it would also generate massive momentum for the game in those areas and if there are competing bids for that city/region then they can ramp them up knowing that it will be worthwhile and that they can approach backers with a degree of credibility.

There is an old saying, "the misery of uncertainty is worse than the certainty of misery".

Perth Red

Post Whore
ps if Grant announces on Thursday that we are getting a NSW cup team and/or significant increased funding for the WARL then it pretty much nails on that the ARLC see Perth as the next definate expansion area, presuming the bid ticks the boxes.

rednblack

Juniors
ps if Grant announces on Thursday that we are getting a NSW cup team and/or significant increased funding for the WARL then it pretty much nails on that the ARLC see Perth as the next definate expansion area, presuming the bid ticks the boxes.

Why would Grant make such an announcement though?
He isn't involved with the NSWRL or NSW cup. Any announcement such as that one should come from the competition management, or the team in question (or perhaps, in this case, the WARL would also be appropriate).
Hardly appropriate, or his place, for John Grant to be the one to make this announcement.

simostorm

Bench
Yeah I understand that.. having a team to follow isn't the same as having a home based team that you love and support with a passion.

LJC

Juniors
Well you can always support a team you know instead of pot shotting the organization who have the game at heart in the forefront. Don't pull that from your you know what, you want Perth now, and that is the whole point. The game is not ready. Perth might be ready (subjective, you would say yes, I would not), but no other bid is close to being ready. We need two teams to admit, not just 1. Every fan hates byes, it is a boring weekend. Look what you do with your money is up to you.

I would suggest the Central Coast Bears bid is very ready!

I agree that additional clubs should be introduced in sets of two.

I also believe a long term goal of 20 teams as witnessed in 1995 when the game was going gangbusters is not pie in the sky stuff! It does work and it will grow the reach of our great game.

Remember their are interests out there that are very keen to see the demise of rugby league and this is very real. (Many examples worldwide)

The private school sector(indocrinated by RU bias) is very potent in the ways and means it tries to limit the growth of rugby league.

Once again,I maintain fans are basically content as long as their club has a chance to shine in the sun! You exclude a club you exclude many hundreds of thousands of fans! The North Sydney Bears example is a case in point!

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
Again, you don't get it. I am not saying chose the bids now, I am saying chose the areas for expansion now. If it is to be Perth and Brisbane then say so, if it is to be Gosford and CQ then say so, if it is to be Wellington and PNG then say so. They don't have to chose the bid, they don't have to put a time for introduction on it but they should at least be fair to the bid directors, the corporate supporters and the fans in the bid areas and let them know if they are totally wasting their time for the foreseeable future. They could comfortably do that within the next 6 months by strategically deciding which two regions are the most important for the game/NRL. This would not only put the others out of their misery it would also generate massive momentum for the game in those areas and if there are competing bids for that city/region then they can ramp them up knowing that it will be worthwhile and that they can approach backers with a degree of credibility.

There is an old saying, "the misery of uncertainty is worse than the certainty of misery".

It's taken a while but I finally agree with Perth Red on something.

Unfortunately, the message I am getting is that they will continue to string all bids along for as long as they can, just in case things change.

I hope this isn't the case.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I'm happy for them to build up the quality of the games and fortify the heartland first

Bring in the two new teams when there is a critical mass of talent and interest to demand it ad not beforehand.

There are so many other things that need to be corrected and put in place first.