What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion. Ideas and opinions.

Who would you admit as the next team into the NRL?

• Perth

Votes: 75 57.7%
  • PNG

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Wellington/2nd NZ team

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Darwin

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Fiji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Central Queensland/4th Queensland team

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Samoa

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please specify)/No Expansion

Votes: 12 9.2%

• Total voters

jim_57

Staff member
surely if the NRL said to them "you can have a license if you do this and call yourself that, no negotiations" they would compromise? They can't expect to be able to join the comp only representing Redcliffe? I don't really know Brisbane but is Redcliffe even one of the bigger suburbs/areas?

You would think so and I'd hope that was what it would come to. NRL are in a position of power so if Redcliffe won't compromise a little they don't stand much chance.

greenBV4

Bench
You would think so and I'd hope that was what it would come to. NRL are in a position of power so if Redcliffe won't compromise a little they don't stand much chance.
Especially since there is nothing stopping them keeping their Q cup team, still called Redcliffe, as a feeder club for the new NRL club

Perth Red

Post Whore
We’ve enough small suburban teams in Sydney, we don’t need another one drawing 12k in Brisbane suburbs. New team has to have city wide appeal, be a point of difference to broncos and play mostly out of Suncorp or they will be another titans basket case.

taipan

Referee
We’ve enough small suburban teams in Sydney, we don’t need another one drawing 12k in Brisbane suburbs. New team has to have city wide appeal, be a point of difference to broncos and play mostly out of Suncorp or they will be another titans basket case.

"City wide appeal" Bugger that rules out Perth then.

taipan

Referee
I
Cough, 38,824, cough

I didn't realise ,the NRL club the Reds played there as a stand alone game.Just goes to show ,they keep it a secret over here.
Therefore 65,000 Sharks fans at a 2016 grand final using your analogy ,as to city popularity.

jim_57

Staff member

Meh to a Broncos clone though, I'd look at having the Broncos as the successful city team and "surrounding" them to the South, North & West eventually with teams like mentioned above. Any team should play at least 9 games at Suncorp though (Besides Gold Coast).

Perth Red

Post Whore
I

I didn't realise ,the NRL club the Reds played there as a stand alone game.Just goes to show ,they keep it a secret over here.
Therefore 65,000 Sharks fans at a 2016 grand final using your analogy ,as to city popularity.

Lol, gws calculator used for that one?
38k, enough said about the possibilities for nrl in Perth.

Diesel

Referee
Not sure what you know about Brisbane and RL, but there’s no way a 2nd Brisbane team draws 12k. For every pro-Broncos fan, there’s 2 non-Broncos fans

taipan

Referee
Lol, gws calculator used for that one?
38k, enough said about the possibilities for nrl in Perth.

4 NRL teams in a brand new stadium, many visitors from Eastern states, novelty factor.

No need for a GWS calculator,Perth abacus will suffice.

Timbo

Staff member

If you’re opposed to it, it re-doubles my belief that it’s the right idea.

theo

Juniors
The culture for the sport from juniors through to seniors must be in place for sustainability. At the steelworks where I worked, we had a motto 'Do It Right The First Time' even if it meant waiting, like waiting for the swell to catch a wave surfing.

Sydney has a population of 5 million and has 9 teams = 555,555 per team, Melbourne has a population of 4 million and has 1 team = 4,000,000 per team because the culture for the sport ain't there.

However, it may appear as though Sydney teams are cannibalising each other and not feeling the full force of their final wins, one team one city, because since 1982 when the market was opened to teams outside of Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne are top of the list https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/final-wins.472429

What would happen if there was one team representing Sydney? The surplus of players who can play first grade and miss out would probably go to other teams outside of Sydney such as Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, etc. rather than settle for a lower reputation league. Or maybe not.

What if teams outside of Sydney were at full strength and do not take the surplus from Sydney?

Then expansion talks get aired but without my comment in the opening paragraph, they become mercenary teams. And as the Australian Rugby League and Australian Super League war found, the soul of the game takes precedence over the prostitution of the game.

Travitoh

First Grade
Could NRLW be used as a tool to assist in expansion? Touch is played everywhere so it's not an entirely foreign game and with the current boom in womens sport, could bring some very good interest, support and involvement to the game.

Also, being a smaller competition, i would assume that it would cost less to run meaning it wouldn't be as big an expense to start up.
Can be played at a central location, possibly even using local clubs to host which will give them extra exposure in the local community.

Should it be a success, there are already RL foundations laid in the area for the mens game to then build on as an expansion club in the NRL.

theo

Juniors
Could NRLW be used as a tool to assist in expansion? Touch is played everywhere so it's not an entirely foreign game and with the current boom in womens sport, could bring some very good interest, support and involvement to the game.

Also, being a smaller competition, i would assume that it would cost less to run meaning it wouldn't be as big an expense to start up.
Can be played at a central location, possibly even using local clubs to host which will give them extra exposure in the local community.

Should it be a success, there are already RL foundations laid in the area for the mens game to then build on as an expansion club in the NRL.

I'd like to see rugby league played as tackle football without goal posts, scums, and forward kicks. The field being 100 metres can be made smaller to compensate for the no forward kick or more tackles allocated at the current size.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/10/nrl-official-fans-poll-the-results-are-in/

Is the NRL.com fan's poll enough to light a fire under the NRL CEO and ARLC to get expansion happening sooner rather than later? The people have spoken and many of them want Perth to come into the fold.

Careful what you wish for when quoting fans polls. Sure Perth is the obvious one but if pressure from a fans poll helps the NRL decide on them as the next team then after that are they going to take notice when the fans vote Central Coast, PNG or CQ as the next best option? If any of those got in before Brisbane 2, NZ2 or even Adelaide I'd be very surprised and disappointed (not so much PNG but that's very unlikely).

flippikat

Bench
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/10/nrl-official-fans-poll-the-results-are-in/

Is the NRL.com fan's poll enough to light a fire under the NRL CEO and ARLC to get expansion happening sooner rather than later? The people have spoken and many of them want Perth to come into the fold.

I'm pretty sure that fan surveys have pointed to Perth & Brisbane 2 for a few years now.. admittedly most of those were probably the old "Rugby League Week" (RIP) annual fan surveys, rather than any official NRL-run ones.. but surely SOMEONE in the NRL would have read those...? ;)

Ethan Basha

Juniors
Before we go to new Zealand and other island's we need to sort out Australia first. obviously this process can't be done overnight and will happen over a long period of time:
Get rid of Roosters and Rabbitohs account for whole East/South Sydney area. Sydney Rabbitohs
Expand Manly to North Sydney again so there's a team for whole northern region. Northern Eagles
Expand Newcastle to Central coast and games can be shared between them. North Coast Knights
Give Wollongong their own team and merge Cronulla with St. George. Kogarah Cronulla Sharks. Illawarra Dragons
Give Perth a team. West Coast Tigers
Take the Tigers to Adelaide for an Adelaide Side. Adelaide Rams
Bulldogs to Brisbane for a 2nd Brisbane team. Brisbane Bulldogs
Western Sydney Eels to be only Western Sydney side(other than Penrith). Western Eels.
Warriors, Raiders, Titans, Broncos, Cowboys, Storm, Panthers
all stay same.

widddds

Juniors
Obviously this wouldn't happen for decades but I think the target should be to one day get the comp to 24 teams. There's plenty of talent at the moment for at least 18 teams, then over the next 20-30 years there could quite possibly be enough talent for 24 teams. To make the comp truly national I'd say this should be the target (keeping the Sydney teams with all the heritage while also expanding simultaneously):

Adelaide Bears - (Central Coast Bears want a team but they won't get one so should focus on Adelaide)
Auckland Warriors - (NZ Warriors change to Auckland with a second NZ team coming in)
Brisbane Broncos
Canberra Raiders
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Geelong Pythons -
(Possible second Victoria team, mascot is just an example)
Gold Coast Titans
Melbourne Storm
Moreton Bay Dolphins -
(Redcliffe Dolphins to incorporate all of North Brisbane as a Moreton Bay team)
Newcastle Knights
North Queensland Cowboys
North Sydney Sea Eagles -
(Manly to change to North Sydney to incorporate Manly, North Sydney and Central Coast although this time not as a merger with the Bears)
Pacific Hunters - (A pacific team mostly based in PNG but also may play games out of Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Solomon Islands, Hawaii etc.)
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
South Brisbane Jets -
(Ipswich Jets to incorporate all of South Brisbane)
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St. George Illawarra Dragons
Sunshine Coast Crocs
- (Possible Sunshine Coast team making 6 Queensland teams altogether, again mascot is just an example)
Sydney Roosters
Wellington Orcas -
(Second NZ team)
West Coast Pirates - (New Perth team)
Wests Tigers