What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion Priorities

papabear

Juniors
Your logic is flawed. Either AFL is an australian game as RL is an English game or RL is a yorkshire game as AFL is a victoian game? Unless Victoria was a seperate country when AFL was invented?

see lockyers answer.

with respect to league, if the English rugby union (in particular the south) hadn't been dicks about paying players, the northern union wouldn't have existed, hence they were very much involved in the formation of League.

Swamp

Juniors
Do they still only serve that Swan shit in WA?[/QUOTE]black duck we used to call it, an absolute headache in a glass!

Good to see some decent junior prospects coming through in WA.

It'd be great to see the future NRL side have maybe 2-3 locals playing regularly in the top squad in the first few years once they get in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's about 10 0r 11 WARL developed palyers currently in Toyota cup/NSW/Qland competitions with 2-3 being signed up from SG ball Pirates squad every season so hopefully some of those current 19 and 20 year olds will be in first grade when the Pirates kick off.

magpie4ever

First Grade
There's about 10 0r 11 WARL developed palyers currently in Toyota cup/NSW/Qland competitions with 2-3 being signed up from SG ball Pirates squad every season so hopefully some of those current 19 and 20 year olds will be in first grade when the Pirates kick off.

You need to be honest here. The majority of the 10-11 are east coast players who moved to WA the play SG Ball,

Perth Red

Post Whore
we've had this conversation before and I gave you the names of the WA jnrs who were currently in those competitions. and no the majority of those 10-11 are not east coast blow ins.

magpie4ever

First Grade
we've had this conversation before and I gave you the names of the WA jnrs who were currently in those competitions. and no the majority of those 10-11 are not east coast blow ins.

You will need to provide them (10-11), again. I will stand by my statement that if there are 10-11 players in the NYC from WA than the majority are from the east coast having crossed the plains to play Ball.

I also fully applaud the efforts of WARL on their junior development program and the results of the junior development side's recent east coast tour.

Last edited:
In further proof that the game grows ever stronger in WA the West coast pirates finished their Sydney tour undefeated. Victories over manly, mascot and Sw academy show the growing quality of juniors being developed in WA. One can only imagine how much bigger the game can become here with proper backing and an NRL team to raise the games profile.

I wouldn't rave about those results, Mascot were a club side, SWAS are easily the weakest side in the competition and Manly only fielded a 2nd rate side as their main players were playing in a Matts trial against Newcastle. Manlys local competition is of a pretty weak standard.
But good on the WA Pirates for starting to nurture their youth.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It is when you are a fledgling state with a small jnr programme that is trying to improve things. Its like our SG ball, sure we tend to only win one or two games and get a couple of hammerings from the better teams but considering where the game was at in WA just 6 years ago, to even be fielding an SG ball team in a NSW comp, let alone being reasonably competitive is a massive achievement.

Like this academy team, sure they are not close to being able to beat the best in NSW but to even be touring is a massive plus for the game here and to be undefeated against reasonable opposition in comparison to the resoources and number of juniors available in WA is a big pat on the back to those lads, coaches and the WARL who had the vision to set up a SHS programme and develop an elite academy route.

Dismiss if you like, for us over here it is great to see. Last year the WA rep side became the first affiliated state side beat the powerful NSW country Bulls team and to see WA making a step up from its domination of the affiliated states to being able to compete with NSW and Qland at the next level up from us is a very positive outcome for the game here.

I understand that these are large achievements for RL in WA when considering where the game has come from in such a short time, but WA still has a huge way to go and from our perspective over here on the east coast it still seems like your a very long way from getting anywhere near being competitive with QLD and NSW.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to play down the WARL's achievements, I'm simply keeping things in perspective and I'm very much of the opinion that if the WARL works towards it that one day in the near future they could field the first state team outside of NSW or Queensland to win a SOO series.

We are on a growth curve for the game in WA and every step is a positvive one for the game, now we need more funding and eventually an NRL team to speed us along that curve.

An NRL team may not necessarily be a silver bullet that you seem to think it may be, the grassroots in WA wont necessarily just become healthy overnight when the Pirates are introduced, the grassroots and the NRL team/s all need to be well looked after in their own right and sometimes the acquisition of an NRL team can overshadow the importance of the local game.

My point is that just getting a team/s in the NRL won't be enough to keep the game healthy in WA, just as it hasn't been enough to keep the game healthy in Victoria.

Perth Red

Post Whore
An NRL team may not necessarily be a silver bullet that you seem to think it may be, the grassroots in WA wont necessarily just become healthy overnight when the Pirates are introduced, the grassroots and the NRL team/s all need to be well looked after in their own right and sometimes the acquisition of an NRL team can overshadow the importance of the local game.

My point is that just getting a team/s in the NRL won't be enough to keep the game healthy in WA, just as it hasn't been enough to keep the game healthy in Victoria.

Totally agree, hence why I am backing the warl bid and not the tony sage bid

gyallop

Juniors
Ah Melbourne Ribot's field of dreams build it and they come.

Fans are happy to support elite winning teams but you need a big bucket of money to keep buying imported talent and as Melbourne has shown much more than the game money itself can sustain and in their case the rumours are as much as 10m a year!

If Sage got a licence how much is he prepared to lose and how much has he got are 2 questions the ARLC would need answered and like the Knights a bank guarantee given first.

Expansion needs to be based on trhe needs of players and fans not egos and wallets.

WA is a priority no.1 in spite of the narrow minded in 'heartland' areas which to this day draw poor crowds in spite of 100+ history. Various clubs had to be bail from financial ruin also. Wa deserves a second chance something it never got while the heartland clubs in spite of poor crowds and finances get endless chances.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ah Melbourne Ribot's field of dreams build it and they come.

Fans are happy to support elite winning teams but you need a big bucket of money to keep buying imported talent and as Melbourne has shown much more than the game money itself can sustain and in their case the rumours are as much as 10m a year!

If Sage got a licence how much is he prepared to lose and how much has he got are 2 questions the ARLC would need answered and like the Knights a bank guarantee given first.

Expansion needs to be based on trhe needs of players and fans not egos and wallets.

Exactly, after all the money and success the Storm have had the grass roots game in Victoria is still weaker than WA. Expansion of the game has to be at all levels in WA however having a WA NRL team will massively raise the games public profile, media coverage and general interest. What then needs to be in place is a well funded WARL directly linked to the NRL club to leverage off that to get more kids playing the game and higher quality WARL clubs.

Should the club eventually make profits that would also go back to the grass roots instead of an owners back pocket.

It was actually Melbourne who benefited from the demise of the Western Reds and to a lesser degree the Hunter Mariners with both squads best players going to the Storm.

Last edited:
Yep and with the Stadiums naming rights up for grabs next month maybe the Central Coast Mariners might take over the whole complex. Could the round two clash between the Rabbitohs and Manly be the last NRL match at this great venue ?. I doubt it but soccer is gaining the upper hand in this rugby league heartland :(

Latest posts