What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion Priorities

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yep and with the Stadiums naming rights up for grabs next month maybe the Central Coast Mariners might take over the whole complex. Could the round two clash between the Rabbitohs and Manly be the last NRL match at this great venue ?. I doubt it but soccer is gaining the upper hand in this rugby league heartland :(

I'm so sick of this shallow 'we're a heartland and we're being taken over' BS argument.

Yes maybe RL was more popular on the CC, CQ, Sydney, etc etc etc, twenty years ago then it is now, but added diversity in sports does not mean that one sport is 'taking over' another sports 'territory', it simply means that the culture in the area is growing more diverse as people are being exposed to more things.

Diversity is not a bad thing!

Unless you think that RL can't stand up to the added competition from other sports (a position that I think is insane, we have a great product), or that RL will some how become frowned upon in our society (something that if it happens we wont be able to do much to stop it anyway) then you've got nothing to worry about, there'll always be people around to follow and support RL in every community that RL is exposed to as long as people are there to expose it to them.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yep and with the Stadiums naming rights up for grabs next month maybe the Central Coast Mariners might take over the whole complex. Could the round two clash between the Rabbitohs and Manly be the last NRL match at this great venue ?. I doubt it but soccer is gaining the upper hand in this rugby league heartland :(

Holy shit, that was a dumb thing to say.

If your rhetorical question is trying to make a point (ie soccer is going to take over the Central Coast, AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!), dont fininsh by saying "eh, even i know thats bullshit". It kind of loses the effect...

Last edited:
Holy shit, that was a dumb thing to say.

If your rhetorical question is trying to make a point (ie soccer is going to take over the Central Coast, AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!), dont fininsh by saying "eh, even i know thats bullshit". It kind of loses the effect...

Soccer is growing up here in popularity every season, especially with the consistant success the Mariners have enjoyed since entering the A League. Now by also playing a few games at North Sydney Oval each season (the CCBears model) for quick cash injection. Soccer has always had more registered players than league on the Central Coast they just don't need the added popularity.
There is nothing worse than driving over the bridge at Gosford and seeing Central Coast Mariners flags on both sides.

reanimate

Bench
Soccer is growing up here in popularity every season, especially with the consistant success the Mariners have enjoyed since entering the A League. Now by also playing a few games at North Sydney Oval each season (the CCBears model) for quick cash injection. Soccer has always had more registered players than league on the Central Coast they just don't need the added popularity.
There is nothing worse than driving over the bridge at Gosford and seeing Central Coast Mariners flags on both sides.

The Mariners are struggling, despite their onfield success, that's why they're looking at trying to play games in North Sydney. That's not a mark of business savvy success, it's desperation, as they can't survive as a Central Coast standalone team. That doesn't validate the CC Bears model, as it still condemns the North Shore to being used for money in return for a token RL presence. One game (or two) a year will do nothing to strengthen RL in the area, it'll just be regarded as a once-a-year novelty to the casual and bandwagon RL fans- you've got no chance of turning casual RL fans on the North Shore into hardcore CC Bears fans making regular trips to Gosford.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Its not bullshit at all and its slowly but surely happening

It is bullshit and it's constantly shown to be bullshit in areas that haven't had a trigger that has started the community opposing the game, in other words there needs to be a serious reason why the community is suddenly and furiously opposed to the sport (in North Sydney's case the way the Bears were dropped).

Don't try to claim that the axing of the Bears was a trigger that started the CC's turn away from the game, because not only would that be a huge stretch when considering the CC's relationship to the Bears prior to the Bears attempt to relocate to the CC and founding of the CC Bears bid, I would be willing to bet that there is no statistical evidence to support this claim either (such as a considerable and sustained drop in ratings, attendance, participation, and general community involvement), just as there is no statistical evidence to support similar claims about CQ, Western Sydney, Southern Brisbane, Woolongong, Canberra, etc etc etc etc etc.

and some of these overpaid superstars who continually drag our great sport into the dirt certainly don't help matters.

Firstly what the hell does that mean, and secondly what the hell does that have to do with claims about so called 'heartland' moving away from the sport?

Don't try to claim that the axing of the Bears was a trigger that started the CC's turn away from the game said:
So called heartland (mate you are off your chops), the Central Coast has the 3rd largest rugby league junior nursery in the world, and I'm referring to the bad press incidents because it turns potential new children to the sport away, no so much the children but definately their mothers. Also the constant changing of partners the Sharks, the Storm, the Knights now probably the Bulldogs or Roosters, people are over it. More and more people are saying the Bears. Everybody and that includes myself are sick of the Central Coast hopping into bed with anybody and then nothing eventuates. These NRL affiliated clubs want instant results, that isn't going to happen, now that the Knights relationship has soured it will all have to start again from our U13's up and for our new crop of representative juniors to take us forward with their implemented programs. And as for statistical evidence just look at how the attendance figures for NRL games at Bluetongue Stadium have dropped just in the last season, ever since the NRL announced that they wouldn't look at expansion again until the end of 2014. This is what I am talking about.

The Great Dane

First Grade
So called heartland (mate you are off your chops), the Central Coast has the 3rd largest rugby league junior nursery in the world

Firstly, that was a typo it was supposed to say-
Firstly what the hell does that mean, and secondly what the hell does that have to do with claims about so called 'heartlandS' moving away from the sport?

I was not saying that the CC isn't a heartland, rather it was a sweeping statement about all these areas all over the country that are supposedly heartlands giving up on RL at the first sign of increased competition.

, and I'm referring to the bad press incidents because it turns potential new children to the sport away, no so much the children but definately their mothers.

Well that's a different issue then the one we are currently talking about.

Also the constant changing of partners the Sharks, the Storm, the Knights now probably the Bulldogs or Roosters, people are over it.

I get that and it's very frustrating (Canberra has similar issues with the AFL) but that in of it's self is no reason to give an area an NRL team.

More and more people are saying the Bears. Everybody and that includes myself are sick of the Central Coast hopping into bed with anybody and then nothing eventuates.

Well then stop hoping into bed with whoever comes along!

The quickest way to garner attention from the NRL would be for the CC to suddenly have a massive drop in rating, participation, etc. If that was to happen the NRL would see that there is a serious problem and try to remedy it with a more permanent and mutually beneficial situation.

Tasmania has the same probelm with the AFL, the AFL considers them a safe market and they keep giving them every reason to keep considering them a safe market that doesn't need to be adressed.

These NRL affiliated clubs want instant results, that isn't going to happen, now that the Knights relationship has soured it will all have to start again from our U13's up and for our new crop of representative juniors to take us forward with their implemented programs.

Again this is a different issue then the one we are currently talking about, but I find it very, very hard to believe that there are no defined juniors pathways that go all the way up from Under 13's to NRL on the CC.

In fact I'm almost certain that you are mistaken, but if not it really isn't the NRL's/clubs fault if the CC RL juniors are unable to convince any NRL clubs to start scouting on the CC or agree to take on CC juniors.

And as for statistical evidence just look at how the attendance figures for NRL games at Bluetongue Stadium have dropped just in the last season, ever since the NRL announced that they wouldn't look at expansion again until the end of 2014. This is what I am talking about.

A drop in attendance in one year where there were drops in attendance all over the board is not a considerable and sustained drop in ratings, attendance, participation, and general community involvement over an extended period of time.

A drop in attendance in one year could be and likely is, a blip on the radar cased by many other factors and again doesn't show a drop in the popularity of RL on the CC.

bobmar28

Bench
So called heartland (mate you are off your chops), the Central Coast has the 3rd largest rugby league junior nursery in the world, and I'm referring to the bad press incidents because it turns potential new children to the sport away, no so much the children but definately their mothers. Also the constant changing of partners the Sharks, the Storm, the Knights now probably the Bulldogs or Roosters, people are over it. More and more people are saying the Bears. Everybody and that includes myself are sick of the Central Coast hopping into bed with anybody and then nothing eventuates. These NRL affiliated clubs want instant results, that isn't going to happen, now that the Knights relationship has soured it will all have to start again from our U13's up and for our new crop of representative juniors to take us forward with their implemented programs. And as for statistical evidence just look at how the attendance figures for NRL games at Bluetongue Stadium have dropped just in the last season, ever since the NRL announced that they wouldn't look at expansion again until the end of 2014. This is what I am talking about.

If you have the 3rd largest rugby league junior nursery in the world fans in the area are not turning away from the game.

siv

First Grade
The Mariners are struggling, despite their onfield success, that's why they're looking at trying to play games in North Sydney. That's not a mark of business savvy success, it's desperation, as they can't survive as a Central Coast standalone team. That doesn't validate the CC Bears model, as it still condemns the North Shore to being used for money in return for a token RL presence. One game (or two) a year will do nothing to strengthen RL in the area, it'll just be regarded as a once-a-year novelty to the casual and bandwagon RL fans- you've got no chance of turning casual RL fans on the North Shore into hardcore CC Bears fans making regular trips to Gosford.

Mo but you bring back 10,000+ Bears fans and the North Shore corporate dollars

reanimate

Bench
Mo but you bring back 10,000+ Bears fans and the North Shore corporate dollars

For a short term boost. The aim should be to turn those in the younger generations into hardcore RL fans, not to bring back old Bears fans for a short term shot in the arm, while having those in younger generations regard them as an in-town-once-a-year novelty.

Perth Red

Post Whore
From what I saw of the CC crowds last year it was only some clubs that failed to attract the CC population to a game, others had healthy attendances. Saying that I see there are hardly any NRL games scheduled for Gosford this season.

If you have the 3rd largest rugby league junior nursery in the world fans in the area are not turning away from the game.

Its not an "IF" its a true statistic, but if you listen to people up here everybody is feed up back as rugby league fans we aren't turning our back on the sport and therein lies Central Coast league fans being taken for granted,

Rodney

Juniors
Its not an "IF" its a true statistic, but if you listen to people up here everybody is feed up back as rugby league fans we aren't turning our back on the sport and therein lies Central Coast league fans being taken for granted,

but thats if you include all the space inbetween Sydney City and Newcastle (bar Warringah of course, dirty silvertails) as part of the 'Central Coast'.

One of the Biggest problems with any Central Coast team is that the Central coast isn't like other current NRL teams with clear geographical bases, the area has several moderately populated towns considerably separated by Geography.

Getting this 1mil+ to games would be a nightmare with several areas that are included are over 30 mins+ ( at least) away from home games. And the suburb closest to Bluetougue hasn't proven the most reliable.

Then of course you have the problems with other teams considerable intrests in the area
The Knights involvement with the Centurions (even if they don't deserve it)
The Bunnies affliation with the Bears (of which the bunnies currently cultivating ~15 contracted players, if the bears left this relationship they'd be a shadow of a team and Souths would have an effective catchment base comparable to the roosters without the years of scouting developments the roosters have made)
The Roosters District affiliated clubs ect.

The 1 mil catchment is already being mostly efficiently distrobuted to top flight NRL teams and there's no clear open base for the Bears if they relocated to tap into.
There's only one vacant NSW Cup team (Wyong) and it being rumoured that they're going to team up with either the Storm or Cronulla as the two aren't allowed to share a team anymore.

Maybe if Gosford itself gets bigger there may be some hope for the bid, but the crowds aren't really assured for a CC team into the future and Juniors are already finding their way to the top flight. There's no great risk that the area will forget league if no team is planted and there is considerable risk if the Bears were given new life in Gosford.

Last edited:
Heartland areas shouldn't be so fragile the constant rl is getting takeover talk speak volumes of the lack of faith and confidence in the very code they support.

BuffaloRules

Coach

Typical alarmist claptrap the bring back the bears fans have been going on about for years.

Despite all their success, the Mariners still can't get 10000 to a grand final qualifying game at Gosford

Last edited:
Its good everbody has an opinion and I'm not knocking this great game of ours but as a Central Coast local and somebody involved with the local junior rugby league while watching our own club struggle for numbers its really hard not to have a opinion. We don't have a big leagues club and have to rely on bbq and canteen revenue, we don't have three sides in each age group like some of the bigger clubs and we are all volunteers. I'm not an old North Sydney Bears fan actually I've never followed the Bears, would I like to see the Bears on the Central Coast hell yes. With people saying Wyongs NSW Cup will be merged with either the Sharks or the Storm I think you'll find the Bulldogs are well advanced in talks with the Roos and in my opinion another stupid decision. If it ain't the Bears then how about Manly take over the area, somebody in need of juniors not the bloody Bulldogs who are always successful in Matts and Ball...dumb, dumb, dumb.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Considering that Gosford probably wont get a team to themselves, i imagine the best they can hope for is something alone the lines of what the Illawarra have with half of the Dragons games...

I dont know who theyd do this with though; Manly is the obvious choice if the locals are over the Northern Eagles stuff, but if not maybe the Roosters.

I cant really picture any other teams doing it well. The Sharks might consider it, but going north and south of SYdney feels a bit awkward to me territory-wise.

Springs

First Grade
Growth means nothing when you're comparing a state capital of a million plus people to regional cities/towns less than one-third that size.

Except when you want to 'expand' in a city that already has a team of a million+ followers.

Despite all their success, the Mariners still can't get 10000 to a grand final qualifying game at Gosford

It's soccer, who gives a shit. It's amazing they can get 2000 fans. If we go by the 'look at the Mariners' logic then we better get rid of the Titans.

One of the Biggest problems with any Central Coast team is that the Central coast isn't like other current NRL teams with clear geographical bases, the area has several moderately populated towns considerably separated by Geography.

Getting this 1mil+ to games would be a nightmare with several areas that are included are over 30 mins+ ( at least) away from home games. And the suburb closest to Bluetougue hasn't proven the most reliable

Well that makes it exactly like North Queensland and Gold Coast. 30 minutes is nothing compared to what some Cowboys fans travel.

Latest posts