What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion Priorities

juro

Bench
Mate, I've been over to Perth many times and stayed at my sisters house first in Cottesloe and in later years at Scarborough, I loved the place except for one thing...I virtually had to wait to come home for my rugby league fix or read the little square in the middle of the paper if I was lucky to spot it.
Nowadays, who cares what is printed in a physical newspaper? If you want to read a rugby league story, go to nrl.com, or smh.com.au, or leagueunlimited.com, or...

Perth Red

Post Whore
When the Western Reds existed the newspaper had a dedicated RL journo. Perth news isn't going to concern itself with a sport that has no team in perth.

In other good news, yesterdays game:

WC Pirates academy 34-24 Manly Seaeagles

Yet more ignorance, NRL is on live in WA, as is SOO. Perth is also full of kiwis, qland'ers and nsw folk, not to mention us northern poms. Hence the 20k turning out to NRL games. Where do you think Perths burgeoning population is coming from?

I find it sad you have so little believe in RL as a quality sport that people will enjoy watching.

I think you will find once the mining boom finishes all the league fans will return to their home states.

Last edited:
When the Western Reds existed the newspaper had a dedicated RL journo. Perth news isn't going to concern itself with a sport that has no team in perth.

In other good news, yesterdays game:

WC Pirates academy 34-24 Manly Seaeagles

Yes but not Manlys top squad as they were busy playing trials today against Newcastle.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In further proof that the game grows ever stronger in WA the West coast pirates finished their Sydney tour undefeated. Victories over manly, mascot and Sw academy show the growing quality of juniors being developed in WA. One can only imagine how much bigger the game can become here with proper backing and an NRL team to raise the games profile.

thorson1987

Coach
In further proof that the game grows ever stronger in WA the West coast pirates finished their Sydney tour undefeated. Victories over manly, mascot and Sw academy show the growing quality of juniors being developed in WA. One can only imagine how much bigger the game can become here with proper backing and an NRL team to raise the games profile.

SW Academy isn't much to crow about.

They are all rejects from the Magpies.

newman

First Grade

Mascot are nothing more than a strong suburban team. One who wouldn't have played since September at best. Good news that the games coming along in the west but I wouldn't get too pumped up on those results.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes but not Manlys top squad as they were busy playing trials today against Newcastle.

Mascot are nothing more than a strong suburban team. One who wouldn't have played since September at best. .

SW Academy isn't much to crow about.

They are all rejects from the Magpies.

I understand, really I do. Must be bad enough getting beat by Queensland every year without seeing little old WA coming along and beating you at your own game. :lol:

papabear

Juniors
I understand, really I do. Must be bad enough getting beat by Queensland every year without seeing little old WA coming along and beating you at your own game. :lol:

This is a funny misconception

Rugby League is an English game.

Just as AFL is a Victorian game.

Just because we enjoy rugby league doesn't meant it was invented and originates from here. About as Australian as burritos.

The Great Dane

First Grade

They're not underselling the WA teams achievements at all.

Depending on which Manly team it was that they beat that could be the only result worth shouting from the roof tops, and it's most likely that it's not a great achievement either.

On the other hand beating Mascot and SW Academy isn't really anything worth bragging about.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is when you are a fledgling state with a small jnr programme that is trying to improve things. Its like our SG ball, sure we tend to only win one or two games and get a couple of hammerings from the better teams but considering where the game was at in WA just 6 years ago, to even be fielding an SG ball team in a NSW comp, let alone being reasonably competitive is a massive achievement.

Like this academy team, sure they are not close to being able to beat the best in NSW but to even be touring is a massive plus for the game here and to be undefeated against reasonable opposition in comparison to the resoources and number of juniors available in WA is a big pat on the back to those lads, coaches and the WARL who had the vision to set up a SHS programme and develop an elite academy route.

Dismiss if you like, for us over here it is great to see. Last year the WA rep side became the first affiliated state side beat the powerful NSW country Bulls team and to see WA making a step up from its domination of the affiliated states to being able to compete with NSW and Qland at the next level up from us is a very positive outcome for the game here.

We are on a growth curve for the game in WA and every step is a positvive one for the game, now we need more funding and eventually an NRL team to speed us along that curve.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is a funny misconception

Rugby League is an English game.

Just as AFL is a Victorian game.

Just because we enjoy rugby league doesn't meant it was invented and originates from here. About as Australian as burritos.

Your logic is flawed. Either AFL is an australian game as RL is an English game or RL is a yorkshire game as AFL is a victoian game? Unless Victoria was a seperate country when AFL was invented?

magpie4ever

First Grade
Hey Pom,

I reckon it is a top effect by your academy team; are you able provide some more details - re: their age group (U16, U17s or U18s). When the tour occurred, the scores etc.

I'm sure that a similiar squad had reasonable results at the end of 2012 or start of 2013.

Do they still only serve that Swan shit in WA?

elbusto

Coach
Hey Pom,

I reckon it is a top effect by your academy team; are you able provide some more details - re: their age group (U16, U17s or U18s). When the tour occurred, the scores etc.

I'm sure that a similiar squad had reasonable results at the end of 2012 or start of 2013.

Do they still only serve that Swan shit in WA?
This might assist re the Team and who they played.

As for the beer I can assure you form personal experience you can avoid Swan these days thank god.
https://www.facebook.com/WARLPirates

elbusto

Coach
Hi Mate,

Thanks for that. How are the Hobart Tigers going?

Any junior league development going down in Tassie?
Tigesr are minor permiers. Struggling to beat second placed Storm though - likely grand final between us and wil be tough.

Juniors?

next year - too much chaos this year :(

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Your logic is flawed. Either AFL is an australian game as RL is an English game or RL is a yorkshire game as AFL is a victoian game? Unless Victoria was a seperate country when AFL was invented?

Afl was invented in the colony of Victoriania before Australia federated as a nation. It's Vic's shame, not Australia's