What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion Priorities

ek999

First Grade
NRL first graders ?, I only know of Corey Patterson originally from WA ?. I can't see WA embracing league and I class them in the same position as Melbourne. Besides the travelling NSW and QLD miners and a handful of locals league will be lucky to make a dent in the AFL's popularity.

Daniel Holdsworth and Lee Ta Maari too. However your argument is stupid, the idea is to grow the game. How exactly would adding a team on the Central Coast do that?

Daniel Holdsworth and Lee Ta Maari too. However your argument is stupid, the idea is to grow the game. How exactly would adding a team on the Central Coast do that?

It doesn't but we would have a much stronger side than WA, who is to say expansion into WA will work ?, Yeah it is a new area and has good appeal for tv because of the timeslot but will Perth locals get behind a side full of imported NSW and QLD players ?. Plus its AFL territory. To me they have to prove they deserve an NRL side and not just having two games a season that attract 18,000 fans. How many Perth fans in AFL territory will turn up if they are getting smoked each weekend.

reanimate

Bench
It doesn't but we would have a much stronger side than WA, who is to say expansion into WA will work ?, Yeah it is a new area and has good appeal for tv because of the timeslot but will Perth locals get behind a side full of imported NSW and QLD players ?. Plus its AFL territory. To me they have to prove they deserve an NRL side and not just having two games a season that attract 18,000 fans. How many Perth fans in AFL territory will turn up if they are getting smoked each weekend.

More than likely at least as much as would turn if the CC had a team and it was getting smoked every weekend. Plus, it would still come with all the benefits of expanding to a new state and a new time zone.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Plenty turn up for the force, rebels, swans, storm and lions who are stacked full of interstaters. Sure people like to see a local succeed but good entertainment and a winning team are more important

Would love to see a team on the coast as I live here and feel it deserves one but Perth has so many positives to contribute and should be a priority for the sake of the game. A situation like the dragons in Wollongong is what I think is most likely to happen on the coast imo some time in the next 5 years

Perth Red

Post Whore

Out of interest how, without a team, how should we prove ourself?

We sell out what games we get. Our TV audience figures are growing. Our participation rates are growing. Our jnr development programmes are coming along strongly. Our stadium has been upgraded. We have corporates committed to supporting the bid. We provide an exciting live tv opportunity.

What more proof without a club could/should we provide?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Bryson and Bronx Goodwin, Jon green, and Curtis Rona will be breaking into cowboys first team hopefully this year. We've also got high hopes for a number of u20's wa players like waqa Blake at Penrith. Comparing the game in Perth to Melbourne is total ignorance of the difference of strength of the game in those respective states.

bobmar28

Bench

Probably almost as many as Swans fans turn up to AFL here in rugby league territory.

ek999

First Grade

A central coast team will have to sign players coming off contract at other clubs, and the majority wouldn't be from the central coast. Take the Gold Coast as an example, in their first year they only had 6 people who born in Queensland in their team. However if juniors is an issue, Perth already have the junior system set up with an SG Ball team that has produced its first player signed to an NRL team within 4 years (and ironically in Perth's first year in SG Ball they finished above the Central Coast who was last).

Central Coast literally do not add anything to the NRL competition, it won't bring in many new supporters, it wont bring in any significant corporate dollars, it won't increase TV numbers, it won't add a new timeslot for matches on TV.

So what benefits do the Central Coast provide besides the feel good factor of bringing back the bears?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Funny thing is it isn't a question of Gosford or Perth IMO. It is much more likely the NRL will want an expansion club and a growth club. Expansion fight is likely to be between Perth and Wellington and growth fight is between Gosford and Brisbane.

reanimate

Bench
Funny thing is it isn't a question of Gosford or Perth IMO. It is much more likely the NRL will want an expansion club and a growth club. Expansion fight is likely to be between Perth and Wellington and growth fight is between Gosford and Brisbane.

And Brisbane 2 offers a lot more amongst established RL markets than the CC does.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'd argue that if either of these Wellington/NZ2 bids are ready, that it'd be a better move to to have Wellington and Perth come in first in 2017/18.

Wellington and Perth are the NRL's two top priority expansion areas IMO, and quite frankly I don't think that any very good options for a second Brisbane team have come around yet (though I hold high hopes for Brothers whom seem to be heading in the right direction). So if we expand into Perth and Wellington next it would give Brisbane more time to develop their bids ready for them to come into the comp in the early 2020's.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Gyngell has already called for a second Brisbane team for 2018, so I reckon they are home and hosed for next time.

2018 is still 4 seasons away, so the potential winning bid has more than enough time.

NZ2 for 2021.

andrew057

First Grade
Gyngell has already called for a second Brisbane team for 2018, so I reckon they are home and hosed for next time.

2018 is still 4 seasons away, so the potential winning bid has more than enough time.

NZ2 for 2021.

Gyngell can call for whatever he wants, with no first and last option on the deals this time around he should be more concerned in his channels ability to regain the rights.

bobmar28

Bench
I'd argue that if either of these Wellington/NZ2 bids are ready, that it'd be a better move to to have Wellington and Perth come in first in 2017/18.

Wellington and Perth are the NRL's two top priority expansion areas IMO, and quite frankly I don't think that any very good options for a second Brisbane team have come around yet (though I hold high hopes for Brothers whom seem to be heading in the right direction). So if we expand into Perth and Wellington next it would give Brisbane more time to develop their bids ready for them to come into the comp in the early 2020's.

By then AFL will be well established in SW Brisbane with league left standing still again.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why, are afl putting a new team in SW Brisbane? Nonsense to say NRL needs a team in x,y or z to counteract afl even though afl have no plan so put a team in that area. If afl are growing jnrs and grass roots in a region then that is where the NRL needs to invest and counteract with more $'s for grass roots, school, touch and jnr RL.

bobmar28

Bench
I heard the AFL were building a training centre at Springfield and I'm sure they have more plans for the area. Right in the middle of SW Corridor territory.

georgesnmith

Juniors
I heard the AFL were building a training centre at Springfield and I'm sure they have more plans for the area. Right in the middle of SW Corridor territory.

yeh the lions are desperately trying to turn things around by moving the base there rather than brisbane

what difference will it make to their crowds if the lions home base is moved there? they will still play their games in the CBD so despite trying to gazzump a potential NRL bid (the broncos too have tried this with their new acadamey in logan i think) it wont matter..

a cashed up nrl side from the area while be an instant success.

i hope its brothers and western coridoor joining forces leaving the bombers out on their own.

georgesnmith

Juniors
By then AFL will be well established in SW Brisbane with league left standing still again.

:lol:

AFL is bleeding in queensland

i doubt that both clubs will be around in 10 years.

the suns are costing the AFL 10 million a year and since the suns entered the market the lions crowds have tanked and they are losing millions of dollars a year as well

in comparison the NRL clubs have just seen their grants rise by 2 - 3 million, and they are on a much sounder footing

another nrl side into brisbane will put pressure on AFL even further, and it is vulnerable now given its split its fan base in two now rather than having one strong city club

the AFL will be down $100 million in queensland in 10 years whilst the NRL wont be putting in a single penny into its clubs. we can bleed the AFL dry of funds in queensland much like we did to the ARUs $50 million warchest.

other sports are dumb rather than looking to establish a good solid nieche in foreign markets they are busting the bank taking on the entrenched sport .....luckily for the NRL we arent doing the same in melbourne.

georgesnmith

Juniors
A central coast team will have to sign players coming off contract at other clubs, and the majority wouldn't be from the central coast. Take the Gold Coast as an example, in their first year they only had 6 people who born in Queensland in their team. However if juniors is an issue, Perth already have the junior system set up with an SG Ball team that has produced its first player signed to an NRL team within 4 years (and ironically in Perth's first year in SG Ball they finished above the Central Coast who was last).

Central Coast literally do not add anything to the NRL competition, it won't bring in many new supporters, it wont bring in any significant corporate dollars, it won't increase TV numbers, it won't add a new timeslot for matches on TV.

So what benefits do the Central Coast provide besides the feel good factor of bringing back the bears?

what benefit did bringing souths back do for the nrl?

the central coast is a growing market, has a purpose built stadium, train line from sydney close by

it will give the knights and manly two extra strong derby games being a sell out

and we can reconnect with the north shore of sydney.

when you cross the bridge its a RL desert pretty much, union and AFL get a lot of their fans from there

its not a priority but if we tick off the other places and the game is doing well the CC bears can add a lot to the competition

just there are 5 places id put ahead of them

reanimate

Bench
what benefit did bringing souths back do for the nrl?

the central coast is a growing market, has a purpose built stadium, train line from sydney close by

it will give the knights and manly two extra strong derby games being a sell out

and we can reconnect with the north shore of sydney.

when you cross the bridge its a RL desert pretty much, union and AFL get a lot of their fans from there

its not a priority but if we tick off the other places and the game is doing well the CC bears can add a lot to the competition

just there are 5 places id put ahead of them
I'd agree that the CC would be good to add in once all the other expansion markets are covered, I.e. Perth, Brisbane 2, Wellington as top priority, but I'd also have other potential spots ahead of the CC, like Adelaide, Queensland 5 (CQ, Western Corridor etc.), NZ3 and maybe even Melbourne 2. Those areas all offer more business-wise to the NRL until the CC grows significantly. At the moment the bid would depend on hitting up the North Shore for money/sponsorship while basing everything on the CC, and given that the Sydney market is already overcrowded, another team looking for sponsorship dollars and exposure in the city is an awful idea. The North Shore could once again be a strong RL area if it were given to Manly and they worked on the North Shore youth, not the old Bears fans.

A relocated Sydney team would be ideal for the CC, if CC expansion occurred in the near future, as you wouldn't add further to the already overcrowded Sydney market and you'd give the CC a full time team. I think adding a CC team down the track when it can support a completely standalone team, with no Sydney ties, is the best idea (as long as at least one Sydney team has been merged/relocated by that point).

Latest posts