What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion Priorities

georgesnmith

Juniors
I'd agree that the CC would be good to add in once all the other expansion markets are covered, I.e. Perth, Brisbane 2, Wellington as top priority, but I'd also have other potential spots ahead of the CC, like Adelaide, Queensland 5 (CQ, Western Corridor etc.), NZ3 and maybe even Melbourne 2. Those areas all offer more business-wise to the NRL until the CC grows significantly. At the moment the bid would depend on hitting up the North Shore for money/sponsorship while basing everything on the CC, and given that the Sydney market is already overcrowded, another team looking for sponsorship dollars and exposure in the city is an awful idea. The North Shore could once again be a strong RL area if it were given to Manly and they worked on the North Shore youth, not the old Bears fans.

A relocated Sydney team would be ideal for the CC, if CC expansion occurred in the near future, as you wouldn't add further to the already overcrowded Sydney market and you'd give the CC a full time team. I think adding a CC team down the track when it can support a completely standalone team, with no Sydney ties, is the best idea (as long as at least one Sydney team has been merged/relocated by that point).

i agree but which sydney team will move? cronulla despite all the doomsdayers are actually getting their act together.

maybe in 50 years manly could take that area over but right now its kinda a desert.

that CC bears bid to play at gosford but have 2 games at NSO sounded good to me.

but the bears have lost out in the race to perth and brisbane so its way down the track anyway

El Diablo

Post Whore
That would have left the Feds open to all sorts of flak, because of the self interest that various Lions Board Members had with this project.

they shouldn't be getting any handouts

Labor already gave them at least a billion over recent years

georgesnmith

Juniors
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...r-firstyear-profit-of-50m-20140224-33d5p.html

With four years of the $1.2 billion broadcast deal to run, no new teams are expected to be admitted to the NRL until 2018 but Smith confirmed expansion would be carefully considered at the end of the season and he hinted that franchises may be invited to join a national second-tier competition before then."

"Fairfax Media understands that Smith won't call for applications. Instead, he will commission studies on the benefits of expansion and what areas would offer the most value to the NRL if a team was established there. The NRL may even use some of the $80 million being put aside in a ''sustainability fund'' to help with start up costs.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ofit-of-50m-20140224-33d5p.html#ixzz2uEnhLgSj

Last edited:

reanimate

Bench
i agree but which sydney team will move? cronulla despite all the doomsdayers are actually getting their act together.

maybe in 50 years manly could take that area over but right now its kinda a desert.

that CC bears bid to play at gosford but have 2 games at NSO sounded good to me.

but the bears have lost out in the race to perth and brisbane so its way down the track anyway

That's a good question, but one club's bound to run into trouble sooner or later. Waiting until after the next round of expansion (Perth, Brisbane 2) to bring in the CC Bears will do even more damage to the North Shore- it'd be better to have a team cover that area now and bring in a standalone CC team later when the CC can support it.

ek999

First Grade
what benefit did bringing souths back do for the nrl?

the central coast is a growing market, has a purpose built stadium, train line from sydney close by

it will give the knights and manly two extra strong derby games being a sell out

and we can reconnect with the north shore of sydney.

when you cross the bridge its a RL desert pretty much, union and AFL get a lot of their fans from there

its not a priority but if we tick off the other places and the game is doing well the CC bears can add a lot to the competition

just there are 5 places id put ahead of them

Souths brought back the lol's.

But they also won readmission on appeal so they had to be let back into the competition.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Souths brought back the lol's.

But they also won readmission on appeal so they had to be let back into the competition.

news ltd appealed that decision and won it.

if the NRL wanted they couldve kicked them out again.

done pretty well since re-admission as would the bears imo

theres too many plastic teams in the nrl, with no real tradition

anything we can to get a bit back is good

georgesnmith

Juniors
That's a good question, but one club's bound to run into trouble sooner or later. Waiting until after the next round of expansion (Perth, Brisbane 2) to bring in the CC Bears will do even more damage to the North Shore- it'd be better to have a team cover that area now and bring in a standalone CC team later when the CC can support it.

the bears best chance was a few years ago when they just missed out due to the titans, and then if cronulla had folded.

i think theyve missed the boat now

its more important to get into perth and expand in queensland now, theyll just have to wait

i dont think theyll get a team any time soon either.

The Great Dane

First Grade
the bears best chance was a few years ago when they just missed out due to the titans, and then if cronulla had folded.

i think theyve missed the boat now

its more important to get into perth and expand in queensland now, theyll just have to wait

i dont think theyll get a team any time soon either.

Nah they haven't missed the boat just yet.

Their only hope now is to wrap up the CC bid and either move to Brisbane by the end of the year and hope beyond hope that Brothers or a new bid doesn't come along with a better offer, or move down to Adelaide and get to the hard work of trying to help the SARL pull RL out of the doldrums down in SA and prepare a bid for the 2020's.

If they don't take either of these steps and quickly, then they'll be up sh!t creek with out a paddle.

There'll still be a handful of options for them to try, they'll just be a lot harder to work and the value in the Bears brand will be all but dried up by the time they get their next shot at a licence.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Nah they haven't missed the boat just yet.

Their only hope now is to wrap up the CC bid and either move to Brisbane by the end of the year and hope beyond hope that Brothers or a new bid doesn't come along with a better offer, or move down to Adelaide and get to the hard work of trying to help the SARL pull RL out of the doldrums down in SA and prepare a bid for the 2020's.

If they don't take either of these steps and quickly, then they'll be up sh!t creek with out a paddle.

There'll still be a handful of options for them to try, they'll just be a lot harder to work and the value in the Bears brand will be all but dried up by the time they get their next shot at a licence.

i meant on the central coast, playing two games at north sydney oval.

if they lose any link to the north shore they might as well start with a new mascot entirely for a new franchise

and weve still got a big black spot when you cross the harbour bridge.

manly really only represent the peninsula, id say once you cross the spit bridge all the way to the harbour bridge then heading north to the motorway is a rugby league desert

its a massive part of sydney missing any team

Perth Red

Post Whore
i meant on the central coast, playing two games at north sydney oval.

if they lose any link to the north shore they might as well start with a new mascot entirely for a new franchise

and weve still got a big black spot when you cross the harbour bridge.

manly really only represent the peninsula, id say once you cross the spit bridge all the way to the harbour bridge then heading north to the motorway is a rugby league desert

its a massive part of sydney missing any team

It's within 45minutes of how many teams? It doesn't need a team, it needs a strategy to engage it with existing teams!

reanimate

Bench
It's within 45minutes of how many teams? It doesn't need a team, it needs a strategy to engage it with existing teams!

Exactly. It's literally 30 seconds from the edge of the Northern Beaches to the edge of the North Shore, instead of adding a club to cover it, the NRL should look to strengthen an existing Sydney club with small boundaries by extending their boundaries to cover that area. If not Manly, then someone else, just don't allow another club to dip into the already overcrowded Sydney market. If a Central Coast club is added, they should be able to stand alone.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Exactly. It's literally 30 seconds from the edge of the Northern Beaches to the edge of the North Shore, instead of adding a club to cover it, the NRL should look to strengthen an existing Sydney club with small boundaries by extending their boundaries to cover that area. If not Manly, then someone else, just don't allow another club to dip into the already overcrowded Sydney market. If a Central Coast club is added, they should be able to stand alone.

Yep, that's the best way forward in Northern Sydney, not adding another club.

Besides adding the Bears anywhere in the country would be enough to galvanize the old diehards long enough for another generation to come through raised on RL on the North Shore, and we could easily build off that if we went down that road.

That's the CC Bears bids problem, it's only redeeming factor is that it's got the Bears brand, but the Bears brand could be utilized anywhere in the country for the same purposes of the feel good story, to galvanize the old Bears fans and to regain a very valuable foundation brand.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the NRL should promise the Bears a license if they move their bid to a strategic location and meet a handful of simply sustainability criteria before the NRL calls for bids.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Problem is no other bid wants a long gone brand. No disrespect to Bears but they don't bring a lot to the table and sharing ownership of a new club is not on the agenda for any of the bid teams.

bobmar28

Bench
The Bears should move to CC but the problem is it can't happen until a Sydney team falls over/merges imo.

georgesnmith

Juniors

your knowledge of sydney isnt exactly great is it?

you once caught a cab from central station to parramatta racking up a $100 bill when you couldve caught a train for $3.50 and it wouldve been faster too

:lol:

leave it to people who actually live in sydney

Central coast can easily support a team. its just there are higher priorities now

georgesnmith

Juniors

yes because once you cross the spit bridge into mosman there are loads of manly fans

no one in the upper or lower north shore gives a stuff about the sea eagles.

despite all of manly's recent grand final success their support is still from the peninsula

the north shore couldnt give two stuffs

Latest posts