What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL faces major turmoil as clubs threaten breakaway league

Canard

Immortal
So this Rodney Dangerfield is "the competitions best player"?

Honestly have never heard of him...
hqdefault.jpg

BuffaloRules

Coach
When I was born the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father, "I'm very sorry. We did everything we could...but he pulled through."

My mother had morning sickness after I was born.

My mother never breast fed me. She told me that she only liked me as a friend.

When I played in the sandbox the cat kept covering me up.

I'm a bad lover. Once I caught a peeping tom booing me.

I was making love to this girl and she started crying. I said, "Are you going to hate yourself in the morning?" She said, "No, I hate myself now."

adamkungl

Immortal
This is a slight read, but it will show you the thinking behind companies, revenue's, profit, growth, future, scaling, ect. Its often counter intuitive.

You are all too right though if we just consider it from the point of view where the clubs do not receive that money, instead....but its not just disappearing into thin air>> but it would be a waste if going forward [they will all determine, clubs+ARLC I think] if some of that was not pared back... . >>> One of the big ways to announce 'you're hear, you've come' is to put on a big 'do'. It represents something, and the scale is noteworthy and many things are addressed and much is seen, and people get the impression, and it makes a lasting impact, and gathers up a network of people, on the ground for the NRL/Rugby League.

The NRL had that huge season launch one year, they did the origin at the mcg and spent extra on it, and I suppose a bunch of other things like various functions; i remember them talking about it after the report came out. They have to service some of the extra revenue so its not like all that money is not getting a return, but its not something they would be continuing, I would think. Then there was the darling harbour thing and I forget the rest.

So I am thinking they shouted a bunch of sponsors and various people lunches/dinners and parties. Which is how you get things done, believe it or not. Remember to actually move people/sweep them up you have to put on a show. Its why parliament is all swanky and corporate functions can get out of hand.

Look at Google I/O this year - omg, it was like a stadium atmosphere. Then look at the subdued pixel launch - but the 250Million in advertising they spent -- ok, so the pixel phone will generate about 6 billion for them, but you got to spend to make. Don't worry, the relatively inert iphone will make 200B - but they are freaking out over that, especially with the new patent crisis (but win for the industry, in that 1 patent won't make an entire device [thats got 200+patents] unable to be done/sold/made, ect. Its a patent web out there...

So the thing is there to note: Pixel/Goole spending heaps on growing revenues (from a small base for this phone/hardware division, 6b is still peanuts to them - they have 75B in the bank in cash, and its grown massively recently - most is offshore, so where they are based in USA they don't have full immediate access to it, but they can gather it up) and Iphone spending heaps (but not as much as other years I suppose) on shrinking revenues - but they did a whole bunch of cost cutting elsewhere (T Cooke is no dill) : BUT> when the iphone dies and it looks like it will, once the wave of iphone8 comes/goes, thats it for apple, they have nothing else to back it up from behind that is concrete. Aren't we lucky NRL will always be here? Ok, so iphone does have future in virtual reality a little, since they say they will skip that (could be a big mistake) but they want to do Augmented reality. I think they will be late to the party, but their whole thing is using other peoples tech in a more artsy way, however this time no Jobs and I doubt they will pull it off. Its not all roses on the google side with their big company they have in that field being rather secretive. You should be glad in the NRL we mostly know what is going on.

Whats my point there? Ok, they know they are going to get lean but they are still spending: but look at the revenues and profitability for apple (up 10% on less revenues): this is what will be on the mind of the ARLC. Then Apple refresh their other things> laptops, ect, and revenues will stop stalling on them, so its all tiny little boosts, but that segment is nothing like iphone.

Point here is, you'd be surprised how the figures all come together, and the NRL is a closed circuit. No fickle public.

Undoubtedly with such a massive revenue jump everyone in the NRL will be better off in the years to come. No doubt. The 100M sponsors, gameday, ect, thing will pale into comparison for what it is delivering even if they may look back and think they could have got more value from it. I mean, the Origin was huge, literally a super boost for the game and made people take notice, and the season launch was one of the best in living memory.

>>>>>It made a statement <<<<<<< and that was worth it.

The NRL will surely scale that all back going forward. There seems to be a bunch of one-time costs. Or they will determine to make them one-time costs.

I think much like the 100M sponsor, gameday, ect, item thats money well invested. Its best to use it on those things rather than directly peel it off the face of the earth by throwing it at a wall down at clubs. Just think, not only do they not waste it on one end, but they get back a dividend on the other.

Sounds horrible if you're a "I'm a club man! - through and through!!!" type guy, but really its for the best. Overall its much, much more.

____

NOTE: Google is an advertising company essentially. They never advertise. Never need to, i.e Google dot com. For them to spend what 50M in a couple of weeks on some of the most valuable marketing real estate in the world (apart from google dot coms home page, though they did put the phone on there), and tv as well to boot, is significant. There's more to come yet.

For the NRL to spend that 100M was significant as well.

tldr

Von Hipper

Juniors

You didn't read it? Oh.... dude, that was all about economics and stuff and growing businesses and how you have no idea about economics and stuff and growing businesses (nor do the clubs) and how the two biggest companies in the world with the top 2 brands by many measurements operate - and I was trying to show....nah.... and...

didn't read it??? I suggest you do!

Then you go can down the road - or even go upstairs and tell dad/uncle Nick that he's being disingenuous!

Oh, high 5 Kungle.
Not only did you not read it but you want everyone to know you didn't. You. Are. Awesome.

LMAO!

Seriously what are you people who can't read doing on here?

__

While we are talking about business, Pebble (the "wearables" device, a digital watch that connects to your mobile phone) shut down - bankrupt - and the good bits bought off by Fitbit (probably took on some debt too, to do it, makes sense). Fitbit itself is down 50% and this IP sale is reported to barely cover the debts Pebble had. The wearables space just hasn't blown up the way it was hoped it would. It appears that other than the IP, there wasn't much of value to sell which is pretty typical of a technology company.

The 100M spend in NRL is related to trying to grow the business. IF its identified its not doing what they intended it to do - they would not continue - and also some of that was a one-off.

IS THERE a better use for that money at the clubs? I doubt it. Even if they each got 6M that would all be gone before too long. Its absolute rot to suggest the clubs should have got that money, or that the Admin (for the time period and conditions that existed then) would have been better off with it not spent.

___

The question is then how much do you value the NRL? Citizen offered fitbit $750M in 2015 (when wearables was at its peak) 2 years later they barely got 40M to cover their debts.

^ That is a product that literally is a fail. The NRL is not a fail.

^ look at AFL and all the money it spends on promotion. That money isnot 100% a waste, but like in NRL they will no doubt try to convert some of that to automatic or they will not spend it in future if they can/should divert it.

^ The fact that NRL rates even higher now, and probably gets better ratings in melbourne again I don't know, but Storm have one of the highest memberships now, is probably a good sign (making the GF helps); but the spend down there was related to origin and nrl in general.

I dont think that money is wasted. The point is even if they never realise a 1 dollar for 1 dollar return, who cares, they had the ability, the opportunity and they tried.

Better than dying on the vine, eh... so be careful what the clubs tell you - there needs to be a market for clubs to operate in and this is one of the central bodies main objectives. That spend in melbourne helps everyone. Rugby League is a "gun" product - its way different to selling a wearable, that by the time the actual phone companies made their own (that will still not do too much compared to other items) became dead in the water. This is the exact opposite of what you want for RL in Victoria.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Embattled Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant has pledged to continue discussions with Melbourne Storm boss Bart Campbell after the two held talks over the funding impasse that threatens the plunge the game into turmoil.

Campbell is the nominated representative of 14 disgruntled clubs who will hold an extraordinary general meeting on December 20 which could see Grant ousted from his position over the decision to withdraw a funding model he had agreed to late last year.

The Storm boss held a phone hook-up with the chairs of the 13 other clubs yesterday morning — the NRL-owned Newcastle and Gold Coast are not part of the process — in which he passed on the details of his talks with Grant.

The Australian understands Grant reaffirmed his intention to retain his place at the head of the ARLC — a stance most believe only possible should he reinstate the Memorandum of Understanding to pay each club a grant equal to 130 per cent of the salary cap.

However, he is understood to have reiterated to Campbell that such a prospect is impossible.

Grant has admitted the funding model is the major issue and that by “reworking” its structure the clubs could expect to receive a figure “very close” to the 130 per cent stated in the MOU.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...l/news-story/776b9f60863b6176cb8ba4964753f88b

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good Roy Masters article challenging the drop in participation and general lies, damn lies and statistics of the NRL

It seems the NRL and RLPA, in their preliminary but regularly postponed collective bargaining agreement discussions, have basically agreed on player income equalling 25 per cent of total revenue. However, if it is established that players are actually receiving more than a quarter of total revenue, the payment to clubs would be scaled back by an indeterminate number of percentage points.

It may well be a very sensible counter-inflationary move but how do you define total revenue? All income, including government grants for stadia and female participation?

And how do you define player income? The NRL salary cap times 16 clubs plus third-party agreements?

Given that some clubs are paying players illicit, unregistered TPAs, actual player revenue will be less than declared income.

Will player managers suddenly out themselves?

Rugby league has engaged in creative crowd counting for years. Remember when Penrith's Roger Cowan sent photographers to the Roosters' home games in order to undermine the declared attendance figures of the 1908 foundation club?

As it transpired, facts counted for little in the post Super League rationalised competition and it was Souths who were booted out.

But the Rabbitohs returned, demonstrating it is wrong to cut off a head, without a deal being properly done.

If Grant and the clubs come up with a deal and the ARLC chairman keeps his head, it's because the code has outgrown the post-truth world.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...mned-lies-and-statistics-20161206-gt52lq.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
At least he is contributing, all be it somewhat long winded, something of relevance to the thread, unlike 74% of the posts, including most of yours.

OVP

Coach
We both know there are only the two of us. I am me and everyone who agrees with me. Then there is you and everyone who agrees with you.

Why don't blind people bungee jump ?

Because it scares the f**k out of the dogs.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Who has added least to this thread?

Poor Boy Blues?
T-Gimp?
Hipper to be square?
Rodney Dangerfield?
The NFL?
One of Grant's multi log ins?
All of the above?

Von Hipper

Juniors
At least he is contributing, all be it somewhat long winded, something of relevance to the thread, unlike 74% of the posts, including most of yours.

bravo. who would have thought finances may be integral to this discussion?

yeh, that guy you're referring to. Why come onto a board, using up minutes of your day to A. attack people, B. say contributions bang on point are not bang on point because they don't back up your world view. Does he realise how inoculous and impotent he is? Just like Adam dismissing those same points, which he knows are true but will not admit to (because he supports the clubs and he knows - and the clubs know - the weight of any argument against those I bring up must come via force)

That guy (you, buffalo bill), is pathetic. And he knows it. I would warrant half the "stick in the muds" round here are pathetic, impotent, powerless whatevers - their is no neutrality to their online presence - its straight up attack! lol There is something going on in their character makeup like controlling people/discussions from a distance gives them a kind of sense of power?

If that genius could form a cohesive argument against that stuff he would, otherwise there is always manipulation.

Latest posts