What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Hall of Fame 2024 + 14th Immortal

Mal Reilly 100%. Not sure about the criteria, Mark Graham might already be there? If not, 100% ahead of Benji.

Mark Graham is already a member of the NRL Hall of Fame, as you suspected -

Though I agree with you about the recencvy bias. I could suggest Hugh McGahan as a top flight Kiwi who merits consideration.

Call me Cam retired at the end of 2020 yeah? Not quite 5 years.

Yes, but he is at least retired. It does smack of "we want to induct them all in one group" which is kind of annoying. Why have an eligibility criteria if you are ging to ignore it? Makes me think he'll be named an Immortal. Heck of a good player, but his demenour on field when he played, as far as most fans could see, will make him an unpoular pick as many think him a grub of the highest order.

Last edited:

greg

Juniors
Burgess is the first Pom but a lot of people that followed the game back in the 70s say Reilly is very unlucky not to be named. Apparently he was one of the reasons Manly ended their 25 year drought and was one of the toughest forwards.

Graham was the first Kiwi to be named
Watched a lot of Mal Reilly when I was young. Absolute gun player. Also coached the knights to a premiership. Should definitely be in.

Vee

First Grade
Watched a lot of Mal Reilly when I was young. Absolute gun player. Also coached the knights to a premiership. Should definitely be in.
I love the story of Reilly coaching the Johns brothers new to FG and full of themselves. Introduced a machine called The Rhino or The Gauntlet(?), a series of weighted bags, swings and pulleys that a player had to run through getting smashed from pillar to post and trying to keep his balance and keep going. Joey went first, a bit apprehensive, and got knocked on his arse at the first obstacle. The rest were stepping back and trying to avoid catching the coach's eye when Mal stepped up, over 60 years old and with two creaky old bung knees and bullocked his way through to the amazement of the watching "elite" athletes. A lesson in toughness for the hard

Scootsie

Juniors
Well it’s all blowing up on the NRL with Brohman asking why Les Boyd got a gig. I must say I’m inclined to agree with him. I remember that Origin game like it was yesterday. If anybody did that in today’s game they’d be gone for life and probably sued for everything they’ve got.

I hate awards because someone’s always going to miss out, and some numpty is going to get a gig ( Benny Elias?).

John Dorahy, Mal Reilly, Alan Thompson, Rod Reddy, Steve Edge, Big Del, Sam Backo……….there are just too many equally worthy candidates.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade

Rugby league hard man Les Boyd has fired back at long-time enemy Darryl Brohman over his criticism of his induction into the NRL Hall of Fame, declaring: “I couldn’t give a f..k.”

Boyd was one of 11 players announced in the class of 2024 on Wednesday.

But his inclusion sparked a furious response from Brohman, the man whose jaw Boyd broke during a State of Origin match in 1983 which led to a 12-month suspension.

A renowned straight shooter, Boyd on Thursday hit back, claiming his elbow on Brohman has given the 2GB Continuous Call Team panel member 40 years of notoriety.

“He should be grateful that I did it, otherwise no-one would remember him,” Boyd said.

“Honestly, I couldn’t give a f. k. Let him worry about it. He’s the one who can’t let it go. I’m over it. It’s in the past.”

After the hit, Brohman didn’t play again in the 1983 season. He has maintained the injury cost him Australian representation.

It’s why the pair have shared a 41-year dislike of one another.

“About six or seven years ago, I was sitting at Gundagai races with one of my mates and he (Brohman) was sitting at a table across from me,” Boyd said.

“He came up to me and said he felt uncomfortable and that he would come over and say ‘g'day’.

“I said ‘don’t feel uncomfortable, enjoy the races, I don’t give a ‘f..k’ and I walked away. That’s the only time I’ve spoken to him.

“It (the incident) was more than 40 years ago – it was a long time ago. That’s life.”

Boyd will formally be inducted into rugby league’s Hall of Fame at a special ceremony at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Wednesday night.

He played 17 Tests for Australia and was among the fiercest and most damaging running forwards of his era.

“Boyd was one of the game’s hard men during one of the toughest eras, in the 1970s and 1980s, representing Australia in 17 Test matches,” the NRL said in announcing his elevation into the Hall of Fame.

However, his career was marred by two major on-field incidents.

NSW forward Boyd was suspended for 12 months for breaking the jaw of Brohman, then a Queensland prop.

He then incurred a further 15-month ban for eye gouging Canterbury’s Billy Johnstone in 1984.

When the NRL, on Wednesday, announced “an extraordinary class of inductees into the NRL Hall of Fame, featuring pioneers, record-breakers and game-changers”, Brohman was angered.

““Les Boyd …. 9 Months suspension for breaking my Jaw in 1983. 12 Months for Eye gouging Billy Johnston (sic) …… Gets inducted into the Rugby League Hall of Fame. Please!!!!”

There were fears Boyd’s entry could cause angst among the 2GB rugby league broadcast team, with Brohman a key member and head caller Ray Hadley being on the Hall of Fame voting panel.

“It was a secret ballot. I know who I voted for but I’ve got no idea how the other 14 panel members voted,” Hadley said on Thursday.

“I was one of the few people on the panel who was actually at the hearings back in the 1980s when the late (former NSWRL judiciary chairman) Jim Comans gave Les Boyd his lengthy suspensions, which virtually ended his career in Australia.”

Brohman took legal action which resulted in an out-of-court settlement in which Boyd reportedly paid about $30,000.

The NRL announced Boyd as one of 11 Hall of Fame selectees, the others being Lionel Morgan, Ben Elias, Steve Renouf, Cameron Smith, Johnathan Thurston, Billy Slater, Benji Marshall, Cooper Cronk, Greg Inglis and Sam Burgess.

“The group of players inducted is amazing,” Elias said. “It’s been a long road however to get this great acclamation and recognition is certainly a great honour.”

I love the story of Reilly coaching the Johns brothers new to FG and full of themselves. Introduced a machine called The Rhino or The Gauntlet(?), a series of weighted bags, swings and pulleys that a player had to run through getting smashed from pillar to post and trying to keep his balance and keep going. Joey went first, a bit apprehensive, and got knocked on his arse at the first obstacle. The rest were stepping back and trying to avoid catching the coach's eye when Mal stepped up, over 60 years old and with two creaky old bung knees and bullocked his way through to the amazement of the watching "elite" athletes. A lesson in toughness for the hard

Many a person who saw him play said he was one of the toiughest playesr they'd ever seen play. Was a great tackl;er but had better than average ball skills. He anmd John O'Neill gave the Manly pack that tough edge it needed to win that first competition. Even George Piggins rated Reilly the toughest SOB he played against, they had many a battle on the field over the years.

To be honest a lot of the hall of fame is a marketing exercise. I believe the class is too big but you want the casual fan to know who the bulk of the players are. Having the players being involved in the game still is also a big plus.