What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL has eyes on Adelaide

Brutus

Referee
Just a little snippet from page 125 of today's telegraph (17/7/2010). Can't find the link.

Adelaide is on the NRL's radar for expansion, according to CEO David Gallop.
In Adelaide yesterday as speaker at a Carbine Club luncheon, Gallop said the NRL had ambitions of a national league and Perth and Adelaide offered important strategic expansion of the game.
He stressed there would be no comment on the Melbourne salary cap drama.

Interesting times and a massive change to what was being said 12-18 months ago.

thorson1987

Coach
Just a little snippet from page 125 of today's telegraph (17/7/2010). Can't find the link.

Interesting times and a massive change to what was being said 12-18 months ago.

Just hope it doesnt end up like the Rams.

Dont rush it. Get a good proposal going. Pretty much how Perth has done theirs.

Meh. He says sh*t like this all the time. It's only cause he's in Adelaide he probably feels he needs to make some kind of throw-away comment relating to the NRL and Adelaide. We all know how likely he is to act on what he says.

flippikat

Bench
Online story is here -> http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-has-eyes-on-adelaide/story-e6frexnr-1225892911384

Interesting bit:
"Gallop does not support the relocation of a team with preference being to establish a new identity, while he believes private ownership will become more prevalent."

I think it's foolish for Gallop to not support relocation.
It's a valid option for a Sydney-based team that's in trouble.

If the structural problem of the competition is that there is too many teams from Sydney, then there's only 3 options to address that:

- Exclusion. Which is a whole hornet's nest - what criteria do you use?
The only ones who win are the lawyers.

- Merging. Which can work (Wests Tigers are a reasonably strong club now), but it's hard to pull off a 50-50 deal, and the cultures of the partners much match-up.

- Relocation. The team still has a place at the table, it still stands on it's own, it still wears it's traditional colours, and still plays a fair slab of it's games in Sydney (only they'll technically be 'away' games).

Adelaide, New Zealand and Central Queensland are RIPE for any relocation to happen. Hell, maybe even other places.

Maybe not in this round of expansion, but it's an option that I think shouldn't be discounted so quickly.

Brutus

Referee
Yeah, you have to wonder how anyone can do business with the man.

There's flexibility, and then there's just plain flip-flopping.

I hear the theme to the Muppet Show now when I see a Gallop quote.

Yet he is portrayed as a great leader.

Loudstrat

Coach
I take it then Dave, when you come up to my joint for a barbie you'll be telling me that the Wingham Tigers are up for an NRL gig?

Goddo

Bench
Online story is here -> http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-has-eyes-on-adelaide/story-e6frexnr-1225892911384

Interesting bit:
"Gallop does not support the relocation of a team with preference being to establish a new identity, while he believes private ownership will become more prevalent."

I think it's foolish for Gallop to not support relocation.
It's a valid option for a Sydney-based team that's in trouble.

If the structural problem of the competition is that there is too many teams from Sydney, then there's only 3 options to address that:

- Exclusion. Which is a whole hornet's nest - what criteria do you use?
The only ones who win are the lawyers.

- Merging. Which can work (Wests Tigers are a reasonably strong club now), but it's hard to pull off a 50-50 deal, and the cultures of the partners much match-up.

- Relocation. The team still has a place at the table, it still stands on it's own, it still wears it's traditional colours, and still plays a fair slab of it's games in Sydney (only they'll technically be 'away' games).

Adelaide, New Zealand and Central Queensland are RIPE for any relocation to happen. Hell, maybe even other places.

Maybe not in this round of expansion, but it's an option that I think shouldn't be discounted so quickly.

+1.

Could not agree more. I'd like to see a planned relocation of clubs that do decide to move. EG, a 5 year plan with assistance from the NRL and relevant state government, stadium plan, leagues club et cetera.

Slowly shift more games over time, and budget for it within the TV rights money framework. It would make it an absolute success, and it retains the identity of the dieing club without killing them off completely.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
With a Sharks crowd like that last night...

I love the Sharkies, I have a real soft spot for them but I feel that the Adelaide Sharks is the only way they survive long term.

Quidgybo

Bench
I love the Sharkies, I have a real soft spot for them but I feel that the Adelaide Sharks is the only way they survive long term.
With all due respect to Adelaide, why on earth would a struggling club move there while there are so many other Rugby League friendly areas still crying out for a team? Sure, I can see the last team who jumps on the relocation merry go round ending up in Adelaide but until then there are a hell of a lot easier (and more immediately rewarding) mountains to climb.

Leigh.

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
With all due respect to Adelaide, why on earth would a struggling club move there while there are so many other Rugby League friendly areas still crying out for a team? Sure, I can see the last team who jumps on the relocation merry go round ending up in Adelaide but until then there a hell of a lot easier (and more immediately rewarding) mountains to climb.

Leigh.

Exactly, the Sunshine Coast (or even Redcliffe) Sharks would kill 2 birds with one stone. It would be well received in QLD and give us the 4th team the NRL should have and have a really good shot at becoming a long term success. The cultures of the 2 areas are similar beach lifestyles, making the transition easier and if the government will build a CQLD stadium for a bid team I don't see why they wouldn't commit to a sunshine coast upgraded/new stadium.

joshreading

Staff member
I am a bit of a broken record in this regard but 'Southern Sharks' playing 8 games out of the Shire with 4 in Adelaide could work. It would require specific input from the NRL, SA government etc but it could work. The moniker also works in Adelaide as well.

The home games moved can be the ones Shire people don't normally go to anyway such as the Storm, Cowboys and Warriors.

Sydney fans (as should all Sydney clubs) should be given the option for a "Sydney Season Ticket" where they can attend ALL Sharkies games in Sydney.

It would open the Sharks to a casual fan base of over a million. Even such a casual supporter base can be worth big money.

In actual fact I think numerous teams should consider the 'Dual City/Region Club' more.

Timbo

Staff member
I think somewhere like Adelaide is likely for the Sharks, because I doubt the Central Coast or Perth would be receptive to them, because the fans in those areas already have a team that they want in. Perth has the Reds and the CC has the Bears.

I think it'd be the Northern Eagles all over again - a team being thrust upon an area which doesn't really want that particular team.

I suppose the Sunshine Coast Sharks or the Wellington Sharks could be options as well. But with this whole issue the NRL is fighting about the Storm and it being a 'National' competition could see Adelaide getting the nod from the NRL if the Sharks went to them hat in hand and asked for relocation funding.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL needs to do some frickin work if it wants to be a National comp. Gallop seems to think RL will become popular in these places by osmosis or something!

fourplay

Juniors
I would like to see Gallop do something to actively promote rugby league. I have the feeling his comments are just a reaction to the recent criticism in regards to the NRL's lack of vision.

NRL needs to do some frickin work if it wants to be a National comp. Gallop seems to think RL will become popular in these places by osmosis or something!

At the moment the NRL's idea of promoting rugby league interstate is putting Origin on at midnight. Maybe they share the same marketing department as the Chuck Norris Total Gym and believe exposing a product after 12am is the best way to go about it?