What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL: Lets talk about relocating teams, says QRL boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wrong and predictably ignorant! BTW. You can see Geelong from St Kilda . You cannot see Newcastle from Sydney! It's a massive distance difference! Amazingly ignorant again PR.

You can see France from Dover (and its a shorter distance than Geelong to St Kilda), are you suggesting they are the same place you idiot!

THE Gosford comment renders itself to a "Why not combine Gosford with North Sydney argument? But that's too logical and business savvy for some! Combining two rugby league areas and recapturing a lost market makes too much sense.

Yes because what the current struggling Sydney clubs really need right now is another club chasing the same fans and sponsors in Sydney. Ask Cronulla how easy it is to get a sponsor at the moment, suggesting even more saturation of a struggling Sydney market is the ultimate stupidity.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The difference's are that Melbourne managed to replaced News, they are the only team in a huge market with lots of potential to make money, and they've continued to be successful on the field since the sale.

No the difference is Melbourne have had 20 years to build a club. They started with low crowds and have gradually built their fanbase.
Both Adelaide and Perth never got that opportunity. No one can say what either clubs crowds would be today if they had had the last 20years to build their fanbases. However, quite clearly from 18k in Adelaide and 38k in Perth turning up for last years games one thing you can definitely say is that there is clearly interest in the game, something to be celebrated and hopefully one day potential realised.

Stallion

First Grade
Perception in a word. Two clubs in Sydney creates a certain perception. 90% of the public would have no idea if GWS are doing terrible, especially as the AFL works so hard on the media to paint a rosy picture. TV has paid for their expansion with a bit more besides. The AFL hope long term (20years plus) the expansion clubs will be flourishing and sustainable, they know a tassie team never will be and Perth as said simply isnt needed and would over saturate the market. AFL get more $'s in sponsorship, media deals and overall revenue. Largely because they have successfully created a perception as Australias game with a national footprint.
If you was a non sports fan exec of a national company would you sponsor AFL with their reach or NRL with virtually zero presence in 3 States/Territories?

Agree with what you are stating. Just add clubs not cannibalise existing and well known clubs. It's really not that difficult! But negative people think and pontificate otherwise!? Sad really!

Stallion

First Grade
You can see France from Dover (and its a shorter distance than Geelong to St Kilda), are you suggesting they are the same place you idiot!

Yes because what the current struggling Sydney clubs really need right now is another club chasing the same fans and sponsors in Sydney. Ask Cronulla how easy it is to get a sponsor at the moment, suggesting even more saturation of a struggling Sydney market is the ultimate stupidity.

You spastic. The detail shows your considerable ignorance dipshit! You state "same" supporters. This they are not. They are not the same fan. You go ask a North Sydney Bears fan if they would support Manly or vice versa!? Very different not the same you dummy! It just doesn't register in your destructive ignorant head!?

The Great Dane

First Grade
No the difference is Melbourne have had 20 years to build a club. They started with low crowds and have gradually built their fanbase.
Both Adelaide and Perth never got that opportunity. No one can say what either clubs crowds would be today if they had had the last 20years to build their fanbases. However, quite clearly from 18k in Adelaide and 38k in Perth turning up for last years games one thing you can definitely say is that there is clearly interest in the game, something to be celebrated and hopefully one day potential realised.

Ahhh, we're talking about two different things lol...

Pommy

Coach
And here we go again..... Melbourne is also over saturated for afl. And Geelong isn’t in Melbourne any more than Newcastle is in Sydney. Too many mouths to feed, not enough bread. Despite a massive grant increase half of the nrl clubs allegedly still made a loss last year. You can’t ignore the facts.

Are you new here?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
THE Gosford comment renders itself to a "Why not combine Gosford with North Sydney argument? But that's too logical and business savvy for some! Combining two rugby league areas and recapturing a lost market makes too much sense.
If you have a basic understanding of geography and the general disdain the Central Coast has for being 'lumped in' with the northern regions of Sydney, you'd know this is a dumb as dogshit suggestion.

If there's ever a team playing out of Gosford it will only succeed if it's a fulltime one playing a minimum of 10-11 games there.

Stallion

First Grade
If you have a basic understanding of geography and the general disdain the Central Coast has for being 'lumped in' with the northern regions of Sydney, you'd know this is a dumb as dogshit suggestion.

If there's ever a team playing out of Gosford it will only succeed if it's a fulltime one playing a minimum of 10-11 games there.

Would question your ambivalence toward the Bears. I suggest that the Central Coast Bears has a greater chance of working than any other possible relocations. You are correct that most home games should be played at Gosford. Maybe an occasional game at Bear park. But yes as far as relocations go: North Sydney Bears having some form of life at the Central Coast is feasible. The train line is handy! Good modern ground with room for more capacity. It gains back many lost Bears fans and gives Gosford an NRL team to follow. It's better than most options.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
You spastic. The detail shows your considerable ignorance dipshit! You state "same" supporters. This they are not. They are not the same fan. You go ask a North Sydney Bears fan if they would support Manly or vice versa!? Very different not the same you dummy! It just doesn't register in your destructive ignorant head!?

That’ll give them 5000 old NS fans that won’t attend games at Gosford, that’s going to do them a world of good! “Spastic”? Wow and you’re allegedly a teacher.

Tell us again how Geelong is in Melbourne lol

Stallion

First Grade
That’ll give them 5000 old NS fans that won’t attend games at Gosford, that’s going to do them a world of good! “Spastic”? Wow and you’re allegedly a teacher.

Tell us again how Geelong is in Melbourne lol

You are so dumb! You have and continue to underestimate the supporter numbers of this club and others in Sydney. The Sydney clubs have large supporter bases all.over Australia due to their familiarity to the longtime publicity and their longevity. The media exposure from the late 60s onwards has assured this universal recognition of such clubs They are known much more than you estimate! This widespread recognition though sometimes latent, still exists.You keep failing to enter this in your mind.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
Would question your ambivalence toward the Bears. I suggest that the Central Coast Bears has a greater chance of working than any other possible relocations. You are correct that most home games should be played at Gosford. Maybe an occasional game at Bear park. But yes as far as relocations go: North Sydney Bears having some form of life at the Central Coast is feasible. The train line is handy! Good modern ground with room for more capacity. It gains back many lost Bears fans and gives Gosford an NRL team to follow. It's better than most options.
Good strawman there but I never said anything for or against the Bears. My point is very simply that the people of the Central Coast will only accept a fulltime team based in Gosford playing 90%+ of home games at Central Coast Stadium.

Stallion

First Grade
Good strawman there but I never said anything for or against the Bears. My point is very simply that the people of the Central Coast will only accept a fulltime team based in Gosford playing 90%+ of home games at Central Coast Stadium.

And I agreed with that Timmah ! Bit touchy with me aren't you? It doesn't bother me but it has puzzled me a bit. Everyone has their opinions so it pays to be open minded . You may pick up on a few things?

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
And I agreed with that you pelican ! Bit touchy with me aren't you? It doesn't bother me but it has puzzled me a bit. Everyone has their opinions so it pays to be open minded . You may pick up on a few things.
You start name calling and I'm the touchy one? :thinking: Righto.

As for opinions, you know what they say.

Timmah

Staff member
Lol. States the guy whom called me "strawman"!?
A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

No, I wasn't calling you a strawman, I was referring to your argument as a strawman one.

Stallion

First Grade
I pretty much agree, the only thing I'd say is that dropping them to NSW Cup is a waste, they still have the potential to do/be something big, but since any radical change to the structure of the sport in this country (especially something like introducing a proper pyramid system) is almost certainly never going to happen it's probably beyond wishful thinking to even propose the potential of something like that. It's sad but it is what it is.

You are ignoring the tyrrany of distance and the advantage of established supporter bases with longstanding notoriety around Australia in all of your 'relocation' chatter.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

No, I wasn't calling you a strawman, I was referring to your argument as a strawman one.

No you were calling him a scarecrow lol

The Great Dane

First Grade
You are ignoring the tyrrany of distance and the advantage of established supporter bases with longstanding notoriety around Australia in all of your 'relocation' chatter.

Aww I'm touched, you want to bleat at me so much that you are bringing up posts of mine from 2 months ago...

Also for the record I'm opposed to relocations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts