What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL: Lets talk about relocating teams, says QRL boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If you support additional clubs then we have no issues Great Dane!?

If by additional clubs you mean expansion of the NRL's competitions, then yes I support expansion so long as it's sustainable.

But I would add that just cause I'm against relocation (and mergers for that matter) doesn't mean that I'm against rationalisation as well...

Stallion

First Grade
If by additional clubs you mean expansion of the NRL's competitions, then yes I support expansion so long as it's sustainable.

But I would add that just cause I'm against relocation (and mergers for that matter) doesn't mean that I'm against rationalisation as well...

I mean additional top flight clubs in areas outside of Sydney metropolitan .

Stallion

First Grade
Genuinely curious, why only top flight?

Why not look to better utilise lower tiers where it'd be beneficial?

Maintenance of established popular supporter bases. Not to say the lower tiers need tweeking. When referring to lower tiers rugby league, I'm concerned at the local district level. For example, Newcastle District grandfinal now draws 5500 instead of 16000. It's a product of poor administrative decisions over many years. The top flight rugby league in Australia has resonance and notoriety for neutrals. Established top flight clubs are a distinct advantage other codes are trying to gain . When , for instance a top flight club like the North Sydney Bears are no more it creates a massive void in an area that was deemed as rugby league supporting and also the demise in widespread support that the 'defunct' Bears had. It matters. Not too mention the vital rivalries that have been endured and enjoyed with clubs like Manly Warringah are no more. In Australia, the top flight matters to the passing fan. It achieves a relevance that isn't easily gained. Once disguarded it has a vacuum effect which in marketing terms amounts to loss of customers and interest.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
When , for instance a top flight club like the North Sydney Bears are no more it creates a massive void in an area that was deemed as rugby league supporting and also the demise in widespread support that the 'defunct' Bears had.
Every time. Without fail.

We could be talking about Wall Street stock markets and you'd find a way to bring up the Bears again lol

Stallion

First Grade
Every time. Without fail.

We could be talking about Wall Street stock markets and you'd find a way to bring up the Bears again lol

Fair enough Timmah. However it's a valid and very real example happening in our time. If that example isn't stressed enough it will be totally ignored and the same mistake will be made again. That's why this example is used. It's relevant and real.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fair enough Timmah. However it's a valid and very real example happening in our time. If that example isn't stressed enough it will be totally ignored and the same mistake will be made again. That's why this example is used. It's relevant and real.
If it was relevant and real, the club would never have merged and folded in the first place.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Maintenance of established popular supporter bases. Not to say the lower tiers need tweeking. When referring to lower tiers rugby league, I'm concerned at the local district level. For example, Newcastle District grandfinal now draws 5500 instead of 16000. It's a product of poor administrative decisions over many years. The top flight rugby league in Australia has resonance and notoriety for neutrals. Established top flight clubs are a distinct advantage other codes are trying to gain . When , for instance a top flight club like the North Sydney Bears are no more it creates a massive void in an area that was deemed as rugby league supporting and also the demise in widespread support that the 'defunct' Bears had. It matters. Not too mention the vital rivalries that have been endured and enjoyed with clubs like Manly Warringah are no more. In Australia, the top flight matters to the passing fan. It achieves a relevance that isn't easily gained. Once disguarded it has a vacuum effect which in marketing terms amounts to loss of customers and interest.

None of this really addresses the question at all... But I'll respond to this bit cause I find it interesting-
In Australia, the top flight matters to the passing fan. It achieves a relevance that isn't easily gained.

I'd argue that "the top flight" holds that relevance in the broader culture not because it's the top flight as such but because of it's exposure. So in other words the top flight is relevant not because it is the best product of it's kind but because it's easily accessible as it's widely broadcast and reported on in the mainstream.

So in my opinion the main reason that the lower tiers don't hold any sway in the wider culture (and frankly even within the RL community to any great deal) is cause it's hard to access. For the most part you have to actually attend a game to watch it, the results aren't broadly broadcast, unless you are actively searching for it it's hard to come across when games are played, etc.

So it seems to me that the lower tiers not being widely supported and recognised is an issue with exposure not necessarily with quality, and if they were structured properly with a point of difference that made them unique to the Telstra Premiership and interesting to broadcasters to then widely broadcast them to the masses then there's no reason why they could build a strong fan base of their own and become a valuable product in their own right.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
None of this really addresses the question at all

I'd argue that "the top flight" holds that relevance in the broader culture not because it's the top flight as such but because of it's exposure. So in other words the top flight is relevant not because it is the best product of it's kind but because it's easily accessible as it's widely broadcast and reported on in the mainstream.

So in my opinion the main reason that the lower tiers don't hold any sway in the wider culture (and frankly even within the RL community to any great deal) is cause it's hard to access. For the most part you have to actually attend a game to watch it, the results aren't broadly broadcast, unless you are actively searching for it it's hard to come across when games are played, etc.

So it seems to me that the lower tiers not being widely supported and recognised is an issue with exposure not necessarily with quality, and if they were structured properly with a point of difference that made them unique to the Telstra Premiership and interesting to broadcasters to then widely broadcast them to the masses then there's no reason why they could build a strong fan base of their own and become a valuable product in their own right.

On your first point, does anything @Stallion posts address any question directed to him?

Secondly, I agree 100% - there is no reason with a dedicated RL channel and also 9 willing to show NSW / QLD cup matches that the second teir can't be attractive for TV viewership, and moderate crowds. NSW/QLD Cup is high quality RL and with increased TV deals could easily be professional comps in the future (albeit with lower salaries). Also, as NRL clubs increasingly move to WSS, Allianz and ANZ, the NSW clubs can play out of the traditional suburban grounds and use the nostalga to their advantage. It is the perfect stage for this. Imagine a traditional Sunday afternoon at North Sydney Oval, Bears v Manly (just an example) 3 - 5k in attendance, craft bear, food trucks, kids entertainment, traditional Sunday afternoon atmosphere at the footy. It would be quite attractive to league fans, especially families.

To say that the second teir can't be more attractive with a bit of work is lazy and false. Look at the interest generated in the second teir in England over the last few seasons with firstly Bradford going down, then the emergence of Toulouse and Toronto.

Stallion

First Grade
On your first point, does anything @Stallion posts address any question directed to him?

Secondly, I agree 100% - there is no reason with a dedicated RL channel and also 9 willing to show NSW / QLD cup matches that the second teir can't be attractive for TV viewership, and moderate crowds. NSW/QLD Cup is high quality RL and with increased TV deals could easily be professional comps in the future (albeit with lower salaries). Also, as NRL clubs increasingly move to WSS, Allianz and ANZ, the NSW clubs can play out of the traditional suburban grounds and use the nostalga to their advantage. It is the perfect stage for this. Imagine a traditional Sunday afternoon at North Sydney Oval, Bears v Manly (just an example) 3 - 5k in attendance, craft bear, food trucks, kids entertainment, traditional Sunday afternoon atmosphere at the footy. It would be quite attractive to league fans, especially families.

To say that the second teir can't be more attractive with a bit of work is lazy and false. Look at the interest generated in the second teir in England over the last few seasons with firstly Bradford going down, then the emergence of Toulouse and Toronto.

Lol. You predispose yourself with fanciful folly. The top flight is what matters to mainstream Aussie sports fans. Keep tracking on your folorn logic. The big gain for this code is to maintain its established clubs with their longtime familiarity and expand with new additional clubs outside of the metropolitan Sydney area. Sponsors demand top flight status and so do most fans! You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Keep 'kidding' on! A caveat that the Bears should have some life as a franchise in the Central Coast would my only exception to the rule. Otherwise new clubs in Brisbane, Perth Melbourne, Adelaide (over time ) and perhaps a south New Zealand franchise can be entertained.

Stallion

First Grade
None of this really addresses the question at all... But I'll respond to this bit cause I find it interesting-

Yes it did address your question. You just did not want to see the response.If you seriously believe that interrupting a true,tried and tested formula (the established clubs with widespread supporter bases and notoriety) is the "go to " way for the NRL then you are seriously demented. This fanciful ideology is rife with scant regard for cultural and historical relevance. Truelly unintelligible ideas but if you want to expedite a disaster discourse for this more deserving code then keep trumpeting your trash! Reality has nothing to do with your "vision" for rugby league! Disastrous yet typical of what I'm witnessing for some on this site.

Stallion

First Grade
Let me guess, the mistakes were all by the governing body and NSRLFC did nothing wrong? lol

Just to enlighten you. News Ltd appointed an administrator for the Bears in their time of need. This administrator came up with ideas like having the Bears play a home game against another Sydney club in Brisbane. Go figure? The Bears were shafted! I'm not a Bears supporter but know plenty of Bears fans. The whole thing was a hatchet job. Well coordinated by News Ltd in their desire to weaken rugby league in Sydney I suspect.(Sorry for the opinion)

The Great Dane

First Grade

Honestly the potential for areas outside of Sydney is much more interesting to me than the potential to diversify the product in Sydney, though I acknowledge that better supported lower tiers would also create better opportunities in Sydney (and the other big cities) as well.

Just imagine if it could be made feasible for towns like say Dubbo or Goulburn to support a local semi-pro team playing in a conference of a lower tier national comp, where all their games are either broadcast on tv or streamed so their whole season can be followed with ease and their sponsorship space is actually worth something. In theory if the NRL played it's cards right you could relatively quickly have a bunch small towns across NSW and QLD where suddenly its financially feasible to support a pro/semi-pro team where that was never possible before, now imagine that those clubs could convince every or even just most local RL fans to pick them up even just as their second team, suddenly you'd have a bunch of clubs across NSW and QLD with around 7-15k crowds depending on the area running around in the lower tiers and the start of a huge local club culture going into the future.

It could totally revolutionise the sport and the way that the country as a whole looks at pro-sports, but it'll never ever happen though.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yes it did address your question.
Nah it didn't address the question at all, it just went off on a bunch of assertion filled tangents, the very same assertion filled tangents that you always go on.
You just did not want to see the response.If you seriously believe that interrupting a true,tried and tested formula (the established clubs with widespread supporter bases and notoriety) is the "go to " way for the NRL then you are seriously demented.
I've got another question for you!

If as you say the only way forward for the NRL that will be successful is with "established clubs with widespread supporter bases and notoriety" and all else will fail, then how are you possibly going to expand the competition with "additional top flight clubs in areas outside of Sydney metropolitan"?

Cause obviously when you expand to new areas with the new top flight clubs they are going to be new clubs, and thus won't be "established clubs with widespread supporter bases and notoriety"... So using your own logic won't your new top flight clubs slowly wither and die because they aren't "established clubs with widespread supporter bases and notoriety"?!
This fanciful ideology is rife with scant regard for cultural and historical relevance. Truelly unintelligible ideas but if you want to expedite a disaster discourse for this more deserving code then keep trumpeting your trash! Reality has nothing to do with your "vision" for rugby league! Disastrous yet typical of what I'm witnessing for some on this site.
Firstly ideology is way to strong a word.

Secondly I don't think you even understand what my "vision" (by the way that's your word not mine) is or what it would look like...

Stallion

First Grade
Honestly the potential for areas outside of Sydney is much more interesting to me than the potential to diversify the product in Sydney, though I acknowledge that better supported lower tiers would also create better opportunities in Sydney (and the other big cities) as well.

Just imagine if it could be made feasible for towns like say Dubbo or Goulburn to support a local semi-pro team playing in a conference of a lower tier national comp, where all their games are either broadcast on tv or streamed so their whole season can be followed with ease and their sponsorship space is actually worth something. In theory if the NRL played it's cards right you could relatively quickly have a bunch small towns across NSW and QLD where suddenly its financially feasible to support a pro/semi-pro team where that was never possible before, now imagine that those clubs could convince every or even just most local RL fans to pick them up even just as their second team, suddenly you'd have a bunch of clubs across NSW and QLD with around 7-15k crowds depending on the area running around in the lower tiers and the start of a huge local club culture going into the future.

It could totally revolutionise the sport and the way that the country as a whole looks at pro-sports, but it'll never ever happen though.

Tyranny of distance issues completely ignored in your fanciful vision! And I did not state 'all else will fail'. I have always supported new additional clubs outside of Sydney however not at the cost of tearing up/exiting any established top flight clubs. Thinking outside the square is ok however at the peril of destabilizing an existing supporter culture that is stronger than most codes in Australia! ? No. Respect for established clubs within a proven competition is sound practice . Usurping this and expecting the general public to just come on board is not so business savvy or good for a code that has an existing advantage.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Nah it didn't address the question at all, it just went off on a bunch of assertion filled tangents, the very same assertion filled tangents that you always go on.

I've got another question for you!

If as you say the only way forward for the NRL that will be successful is with "established clubs with widespread supporter bases and notoriety" and all else will fail, then how are you possibly going to expand the competition with "additional top flight clubs in areas outside of Sydney metropolitan"?

Cause obviously when you expand to new areas with the new top flight clubs they are going to be new clubs, and thus won't be "established clubs with widespread supporter bases and notoriety"... So using your own logic won't your new top flight clubs slowly wither and die because they aren't "established clubs with widespread supporter bases and notoriety"?!

Firstly ideology is way to strong a word.

Secondly I don't think you even understand what my "vision" (by the way that's your word not mine) is or what it would look like...

The 'new' clubs you speak of grow as a benefit of existing clubs presence! You cannot expect a new club to grow with the established rivalries and longtime clubs being disbanded/exited. It just doesn't pass the pub test champ. People follow teams in the top flight and the longevity associated with existing clubs is more valuable and credible than you think . I have answered your question/s! You just don't like the answers. Your deflection comments points to a person that is clearly insincere for this code and with an aim to destabilise an existing club culture that has Australian wide significance and notoriety.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts