What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL: Lets talk about relocating teams, says QRL boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommy

Coach
Did the Bears play in the top flight last season!, I know your tact and its an ignorant stance. The game was in 1991. Still in living memory of most people . It shows a thriving supporter base for the Bears. What you people whom advocate carvinget up Sydney's established are that they all have established supporter bases both in and outside of Sydney. But endlessly we see you retort that these supporter bases don't matter. They do matter! You fools!

But North Sydney rugby clubs pack out in the third tier and you won’t stop banging on about it. Why are Bears fans not capable of doing the same in the second tier?
When Newcastle got relegated from the EPL I probably went to more games. Perhaps Bears fans are just fickle?

Stallion

First Grade
No, I'm just not dumb enough to think that 100+ years of support for Shute Shield clubs in North Sydney came about because the Bears stopped playing. The Waratahs openly acknowledge that 80% of their players are sourced from North Shore schools (and have been for a century).

At the same time Queensland recognises that country footy is a huge area of actual playing talent and television support that can be measured in participation and ratings. Unlike mythological Bears fans who are as frequently sited as the Loch Ness monster.

And I question why Rugby league isn't allowed presence in such elite private schools? Something that has gone through to the keeper for far too long I suggest!? After rugby league is the most watched/popular football code in this state? Yet it still can't get a guernsey I'm such schools!? Something very dodgy going on. Mind you union gets and has access to many Public and Catholic schools in this state as does rugbyleague . Yet rugby league is still shunned by the private school sector! Very dodgy!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
And for the umpteenth time Dodo: People can support a club in many ways. Just because your version doesn't fit someone else's idea of what a supporter doesn't mean you are right! Get back in your hole and work that out. At the moment you are way out of your depth in relation to the culture and subsequent support for this code. Do you seriously think that when these incompetent RL administrators ousted the Rabbitoes they looked at that club's widespread latent support? No! These 'administrators' went ahead and tore up one of the most supported and famous clubs of the league. Dummy!

No answer. Ok I'll try this then:

Is it possible, in your view, to rank clubs in terms of size? If so, would you be able to give me the metrics that you would consider would be most important in order to rank them? Dot points for clarity will do so that you don't start waffling again.

Also, If we take a local juniour RL club and we take two random people from the commuity that the club is based in; person A volunteers at the club in any way they can, they buy a membership, their kids play there (so registration fees etc.), person B walks around town saying that they are a supporter of the club because it is from their local community. This person does not attend the games, does not have a membership, doesn't volunteer at the club and their kids don't play their. In fact, they have nothing to do with the club other than identifying with it as it is from their local community. Which (person A or B) is more helpful and more invested in the club?

Stallion

First Grade
But North Sydney rugby clubs pack out in the third tier and you won’t stop banging on about it. Why are Bears fans not capable of doing the same in the second tier?
When Newcastle got relegated from the EPL I probably went to more games. Perhaps Bears fans are just fickle?

As mentioned before.: Australia is different to England in many ways. You just keep regurgitating the same incessant crap!

Stallion

First Grade
No answer. Ok I'll try this then:

Is it possible, in your view, to rank clubs in terms of size? If so, would you be able to give me the metrics that you would consider would be most important in order to rank them? Dot points for clarity will do so that you don't start waffling again.

Also, If we take a local juniour RL club and we take two random people from the commuity that the club is based in; person A volunteers at the club in any way they can, they buy a membership, their kids play there (so registration fees etc.), person B walks around town saying that they are a supporter of the club because it is from their local community. This person does not attend the games, does not have a membership, doesn't volunteer at the club and their kids don't play their. In fact, they have nothing to do with the club other than identifying with it as it is from their local community. Which (person A or B) is more helpful and more invested in the club?

Amazingly dumb response! You can verbalize you follow a club!? The person that does not follow the club can say so. And yes even positive discussion can be a form of support for a club. You just provided an example that showed a person that didn't verbally support a club. Therefore not a fan! However the person that announces a support for a team, no matter in what form, is still a supporter. And when that day comes when a grand final win is to be enjoyed they have just as much right as the next person to celebrate the win of the team they have verbally supported. It's those that don't discuss and acknowledge the club that are not fans of that club. Pretty simple yet difficult for some!

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
And I question why Rugby league isn't allowed presence in such elite private schools? Something that has gone through to the keeper for far too long I suggest!? After rugby league is the most watched/popular football code in this state? Yet it still can't get a guernsey I'm such schools!? Something very dodgy going on. Mind you union gets and has access to many Public and Catholic schools in this state as does rugbyleague . Yet rugby league is still shunned by the private school sector! Very dodgy!

It is allowed but they’re a business and have decided their customers do not want/demand it. Nobody has to go to a private school it’s all a choice.

Stallion

First Grade
It is allowed but they’re a business and have decided their customers do not want/demand it. Nobody has to go to a private school it’s all a choice.

Not really a choice!, Money has alot to do with it! So the affluent are pushed toward one rugby code and not Australia's most popular rugby code in rugby league!? Yet mainstream schools allow both? Something exclusionary happening in the elite private schools I suggest. Laurie Daley complained a few years ago that his son had no choice for rugby league at the elite private school he attended. His son had to play union and their was no option for rugby league. You think that's fair and equitable? Others don't!

Pommy

Coach
Not really a choice!, Money has alot to do with it! So the affluent are pushed toward one rugby code and not Australit's most popular rugby code in rugby league!? Yet mainstream school s allow both? Something exclusionary happening in the elite private schools I suggest. Laurie Daley complained a few years ago that his son had no choice for rugby league at the elite private school he attended. His son had to play union and their was no option for rugby league. You think that's fair and equitable? Others don't!

Laurie Daley absolutely had a choice, sending his son somewhere else.

MugaB

Coach
Remove one team from Western Sydney (probably tigers), move Dragons permanently to Illawarra, remove Sharks, move Manly to Central Coast.

Add Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane #2 and either NZ#2 or Central Queensland/Far North QLD (with pathway for PNG players). Ta dah; 18 teams, teams in every major city and regional centre. Most importantly don't ever bring back the Bears.

Remove sharks? Why they have a section of sydney that completly follows rl, thats like delete newcastle...
Manly to central coast? Thats was northern eagles.. it failed already
And get rid of tigers? I feel were getting a bit loose with the delete button here

All these new teams are a great idea, id rather see it all happen gradually, maybe relocations of sharks and tigers are a better idea, than delete then add new teams in qld or nz
Perth and Adelaide would need a junior base, a relocation would help that. as Melbourne's juniors are imported from the Qld cup, but if central coast is a viable addition the bears would be the best idea, purely since they have supported the area for a while now

Stallion

First Grade
Laurie Daley absolutely had a choice, sending his son somewhere else.

You still don't get it do you! Such schools should be open to providing both rugby codes. These schools have recently allowed AFL in their grounds and ofcourse soccer. But still no rugby league. And you think that's right and fair? !

Stallion

First Grade
Remove sharks? Why they have a section of sydney that completly follows rl, thats like delete newcastle...
Manly to central coast? Thats was northern eagles.. it failed already
And get rid of tigers? I feel were getting a bit loose with the delete button here

All these new teams are a great idea, id rather see it all happen gradually, maybe relocations of sharks and tigers are a better idea, than delete then add new teams in qld or nz
Perth and Adelaide would need a junior base, a relocation would help that. as Melbourne's juniors are imported from the Qld cup, but if central coast is a viable addition the bears would be the best idea, purely since they have supported the area for a while now

MugaB. The guy was trolling! He's a union stooge on a RL website.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Amazingly dumb response! You can verbalize you follow a club!? The person that does not follow the club can say so. And yes even positive discussion can be a form of support for a club. You just provided an example that showed a person that didn't verbally support a club. Therefore not a fan! However the person that announces a support for a team, no matter in what form, is still a supporter. And when that day comes when a grand final win is to be enjoyed they have just as much right as the next person to celebrate the win of the team they have verbally supported. It's those that don't discuss and acknowledge the club that are not fans of that club. Pretty simple yet difficult for some!

Ok, I should have clarified, person B verbally supports the club. But thank you for telling me that you believe both types of support are equal. This is why I am clarifying our definitions so that we can understand what we disagree over.

On the second issue: Do you think that it is possible to rank the size of professional sporting clubs in Australia? What are your main metrics for ranking those clubs?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I've answered that before.

Your response was that the shute shield is popular because of the demise of the Bears v Manly rivalry in the NRL. This has been debunked because if that were the case, the Shute Shield would have boomed in 1999. Why didn't it? Why did it boom 20 years later? And now that we know that it has nothing to do with the Bears, why in your view can't NSW Cup tap into the same nostalgia in the lower teirs of the game?

Stallion

First Grade
Ok, I should have clarified, person B verbally supports the club. But thank you for telling me that you believe both types of support are equal. This is why I am clarifying our definitions so that we can understand what we disagree over.

On the second issue: Do you think that it is possible to rank the size of professional sporting clubs in Australia? What are your main metrics for ranking those clubs?

Many variables. I suggest the guys that exited South Sydney had dubious metrics. But I would consider junior numbers, merchandise sales (hard-to-record as their a so many optons and outlets ), attendances (with factors like weather/team performance/opposing team,ground capacity and day/time of home game factored in), tv audience ratings , longevity of the club, media reach of club, membership numbers (although varied products offered so can be misleading) and dare I state it: " the gut feeling of a prudent administrator with the advancement of the code as a priority in mind. (being aware of what is lost if a club exits/merges etc)

Stallion

First Grade
Your response was that the shute shield is popular because of the demise of the Bears v Manly rivalry in the NRL. This has been debunked because if that were the case, the Shute Shield would have boomed in 1999. Why didn't it? Why did it boom 20 years later? And now that we know that it has nothing to do with the Bears, why in your view can't NSW Cup tap into the same nostalgia in the lower teirs of the game?

You do realise we are talking about a very boring football code in union? People don't just jump off and go to a private school propagated code in a flash. Many of the loyal Bears fans have either died or live in hope. Union is picking up the slack nowadays as locals are searching for a local outlet and union is now providing that. And yes a protest vote and convenience vote through localism is being witnessed. I've stated this before but there you have it . Once again!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.