What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL on Melbourne FTA is a joke

King hit

Coach
Its been ridiculous for decades tbf. Ch9 dont want to show league in non league states and NRL don't care. Such is our level of desire to grow our great game.

It's because the networks especially in Victoria are run by AFL loving jerks like McGuire who are threatened by any other sport. The Storm went through so much just to get coverage of the Storm in Melbourne for years

greenBV4

Bench
Thought I'd post for anyone who wanted to know that England vs South Africa in the Cricket has pushed Thursday Night Footy back to GO again

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
It's because the networks especially in Victoria are run by AFL loving jerks like McGuire who are threatened by any other sport. The Storm went through so much just to get coverage of the Storm in Melbourne for years

Or the AFL do a better job at impacting competitor market penetration? If the NRL employed people with bigger balls, then maybe we'd be able to see more games down here and on the main 9 channel other than SOO and Finals.

DIOGENES

Juniors
I’m watching Souths vs Eels ina quiet pub in Perth there are 6 of us actively watching and no-one is watching the AFL
However I think we are all FIFO

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The Storm rate second in Melbourne behind only Collingwood. You would think 9 (being a business first and foremost) would promote the content that is working and provide better coverage for it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
maybe on fox, surely not on fta though

Aparently, I'll try and find the link to the article that I read. The Storm have done a good job of becoming everyone's second team in Melbourne. The AFL viewership gets split between the different AFL clubs.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Aparently, I'll try and find the link to the article that I read. The Storm have done a good job of becoming everyone's second team in Melbourne. The AFL viewership gets split between the different AFL clubs.
I’d like to believe it but I doubt it. Everytime I’m in Melbourne the disclosure that I follow league is met with increduilty. Let’s see the data

greenBV4

Bench
I posted it earlier in this thread, but here it is again
https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/20192/05/08/statement-on-purplebricks/

"After eight rounds in the 2019 season, Storm are second only to Collingwood of all Victorian clubs watched on TV across all subscription and free to air networks.

Storm also continues to generate a significant online traction, having a larger social media following than any AFL club and the second largest of all AFL and NRL clubs in Australia."

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

"After eight rounds in the 2019 season, Storm are second only to Collingwood of all Victorian clubs watched on TV across all subscription and free to air networks.

Storm also continues to generate a significant online traction, having a larger social media following than any AFL club and the second largest of all AFL and NRL clubs in Australia."

Thanks mate

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I’d like to believe it but I doubt it. Everytime I’m in Melbourne the disclosure that I follow league is met with increduilty. Let’s see the data

Here it is...

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Then why don't the geniuses at NRL HQ negotiate for this as part of the TV rights contracts?

Yes, good point. I think it is more of a case of why are the NRL not enforcing it? Given that it is already being broadcast accross the country, you would think it has already been agreed to by 9.

mongoose

Coach

I think its national ratings, not victorian.
Storm games would rate well in QLD, probably pretty well in NSW aswell.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Here it is...
Thanks I agree with Mongoose that they are talking about national ratings. As League is either 1st or a close 2nd in ratings the Melbourne League team will have high ratings nationally and proably enough to be the 2nd highest Melbourne team followed nationally.

A recent interaction buying socks in David Jones Melbourne.
Shop assistant (female in 60s): What team do you follow
Me: (under breath; hear we go again) Panthers
Shop assisitant: I haven’t heard of them where do they play
Me: They are a rugby league team
Shop assisitant: Oh... but what team do you follow

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Thanks I agree with Mongoose that they are talking about national ratings. As League is either 1st or a close 2nd in ratings the Melbourne League team will have high ratings nationally and proably enough to be the 2nd highest Melbourne team followed nationally.

Next time just say Storm and she will understand.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

Whenever they insisted that there must be a team that I follow I would simply answer that it was a team that didn't get points for missing.

Latest posts