What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL on Melbourne FTA is a joke

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Its the NRL's job to promote the game long term, not a company that has bought the broadcasting rights for 5 years.
That’s utter rubbish. Channel 7 promotes afl across all its platforms positively in order to grow and engage its audience. It is in partnership with the afl to both organisations benefit. Channel 9 utterly fails in comparison. If you can’t see that then you must be really naive.

VictoryFC

Bench
Its the NRL's job to promote the game long term, not a company that has bought the broadcasting rights for 5 years.

This just isn't true. The company that has brought the rights is interested in getting the highest ratings possible so it can sell more ads at a higher premium.

If you've switched on a TV recently, you will notice one of two things: when the ads come on, they are either plugging things to buy, or cross promoting programs that are airing at a future date in order to maximise viewing figures...... so that they can sell more ad space to companies plugging things for people to buy.

When sport becomes a huge driver of advertising revenue for a broadcaster, they usually go to extra lengths to cross promote, as is the case with C7 and auskick. I don't know what 9 in Sydney does with the NRL, but the 9 makes absolutely no effort to capitalise and make most of its NRL property in Melbourne. They are meeting their contractual obligations to air games, and that's it.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
This just isn't true. The company that has brought the rights is interested in getting the highest ratings possible so it can sell more ads at a higher premium.

If you've switched on a TV recently, you will notice one of two things: when the ads come on, they are either plugging things to buy, or cross promoting programs that are airing at a future date in order to maximise viewing figures...... so that they can sell more ad space to companies plugging things for people to buy.

When sport becomes a huge driver of advertising revenue for a broadcaster, they usually go to extra lengths to cross promote, as is the case with C7 and auskick. I don't know what 9 in Sydney does with the NRL, but the 9 makes absolutely no effort to capitalise and make most of its NRL property in Melbourne. They are meeting their contractual obligations to air games, and that's it.
this bloke is a brick wall of stupidity mate. He doesn’t get it.

tri_colours

Juniors

I don't live in Melbourne, so I can't comment on the upcoming scheduling that is shown there,. But, whatever it is comes as a result of only getting 25 000 viewers for Storm games in Melbourne. Channel 9 show there matches live , they show some of there games in prime time and even some on them on the main channel. AFL is like a sporting religion in Melbourne. An old Elvis re-run will get more viewers than 25k.

Maybe when Ch.9 were showing there games at midnight you could fault them. But at present there doing everything that could, reasonably be asked.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
I don't live in Melbourne, so I can't comment on the upcoming scheduling that is shown there,. But, whatever it is comes as a result of only getting 25 000 viewers for Storm games in Melbourne. Channel 9 show there matches live , they show some of there games in prime time and even some on them on the main channel. AFL is like a sporting religion in Melbourne. An old Elvis re-run will get more viewers than 25k.

Maybe when Ch.9 were showing there games at midnight you could fault them. But at present there doing everything that could, reasonably be asked.
Utter rubbish by a poster with no vision and no idea. Just give up. You are wrong. If you seriously believe channel 9 is doing all that can be reasonably asked you are living in cloud cuckoo land. I lived in Melbourne for ten years and the coverage was always poorly promoted. It was almost as if they had it on because they had to. Some times you have to acknowledge you are talking out of your derrière. For you this is one of those occasions.

Perth Red

Post Whore

If it was promoted, on Ch9 main channel, and the coverage wasnt so sht house then you could call it. Reality is even an extra 10k a game watching in Melbourne is nearly 3/4million extra audience a year. Imagine if we had a channel that actually worked for viewers in the AFL states!

On the rare occasion the game is promoted and shown on main channel (Origin and GF) they are getting up to 400k tuning in.

VictoryFC

Bench
Storm game promoted well during the cricket. Don't watch other shows so wouldn't know if it's doing the rounds at other times, but it should be a good audience.

I don't know if it will be a good gauge of potential audience because it's a finals game, and we don't get Storm games every week here to be able to build on anything. Yes 9 may put the games on Gem every week as scheduled, but how many of those are Storm games during the season? Can't think off the top of my head, but it wouldn't be many going on memory. The situation is not like the Broncos where a fan could reasonably expect to see a good chunk of their games for free on 9 during the season.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Game finishes. Within ten seconds we are off to a d grade movie. No interview with Paul Gallen. No savouring the moment of manly’s win. Yet some peanuts here think it’s all okay. Channel 9 are a disgrace.

greenBV4

Bench
Game finishes. Within ten seconds we are off to a d grade movie. No interview with Paul Gallen. No savouring the moment of manly’s win. Yet some peanuts here think it’s all okay. Channel 9 are a disgrace.
Did the coverage of the Storm's came on the main channel cut straight away as well?

tri_colours

Juniors

Seriously, how many Melbourne people would want to watch a Paul Gallen interview, how many would know who he was? And yes, They did have a post - match segment in Sydney with included Gallen.

Last edited:

VictoryFC

Bench
Did the coverage of the Storm's came on the main channel cut straight away as well?

I'm not sure there's a single person in Victoria that knows the answer to this question. We all switched off at 79th minute.

In all seriousness, I think bojack was talking about the main channel. They didn't simulcast the game on both 9 and Gem. It was Gem for pre-game, and 9 for game. Then it was back to Gem for Manly Sharks just after Storm game finished on 9.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
I'm not sure there's a single person in Victoria that knows the answer to this question. We all switched off at 79th minute.

In all seriousness, I think bojack was talking about the main channel. They didn't simulcast the game on both 9 and Gem. It was Gem for pre-game, and 9 for game. Then it was back to Gem for Manly Sharks just after Storm game finished on 9.
I was watching the eagles sharks game on Gem. Very second the game finished the coverage was gone.

Latest posts