What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nrl plans for a 20 team comp

MugaB

Coach

Nuke

Staff member
NRL currently at 17 teams.
NRL expanding to 20 teams.

The main debate going on here is Perth vs PNG.
To quote those taco ads: "Why not both?".
There's 3 spots up for grabs in the coming decade. Not one. Three.

It's fairly obvious in my eyes that, whichever order, teams 18 and 19 will be PNG and Perth.

The biggest issue going forward will be who team 20 will be. That will be between NZ2 and Qld5.

I'd suggest Fiji / Pasifika, Adelaide, ect, are most likely left for the next round of expansion.

blue bags

First Grade

It's fairly obvious in my eyes that, whichever order, teams 18 and 19 will be PNG and Perth.

The biggest issue going forward will be who team 20 will be. That will be between NZ2 and Qld5.

I'd suggest Fiji / Pasifika, Adelaide, ect, are most likely left for the next round of expansion.
Pasifika Grizzlies Bear's 🐻

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha alleged corruption pal, do you even read the articles you post 4Fux sake, in your rush to look for anything derogatory regarding png, just eat your Perth Bears cake dimwit
haha yeh sure, the people investigating where the people accused, so PNG!
Meanwhile:

'The Department of Home Affairs is still unable to assure federal parliament the reported $80 million paid to Papua New Guinea for the welfare and support of people formerly held in offshore detention is being properly spent and has not been siphoned off in corrupt or fraudulent payments. '

Nothing to see here:

Papua New Guinea's Prime Minister James Marape has confirmed reports his eldest son is one of five men arrested in relation to a suitcase found with $US440,000 at a domestic airport in the highlands province of Hela last week.

flippikat

Bench

If the next two are indeed PNG & Perth (and I have doubts on PNG but anyway..) I would say NZ 2 would be a good choice for team 20.

21 and 22 being Adelaide & another Queensland club - whether that's SE-Queensland or something like Central Queensland.

Surely if they go to 20 teams they need to have 2 conferences and 2 divisions in each conference

23 games - play each other once and teams in your division twice. - 230 regular season games.

10 team final series - Top 2 from each division qualify for the finals and have a week off before the finals- 3rd place in each division play off for the last two finals spots in that week

Either a cross conference final series or a NFL type final series where the two conference winners play off

Conference 1

2 Divisions of 5 Teams

Conference 2

2 Divisions of 5 teams

Wb1234

Referee
Surely if they go to 20 teams they need to have 2 conferences and 2 divisions in each conference

23 games - play each other once and teams in your division twice. - 230 regular season games.

10 team final series - Top 2 from each division qualify for the finals and have a week off before the finals- 3rd place in each division play off for the last two finals spots in that week

Either a cross conference final series or a NFL type final series where the two conference winners play off

Conference 1

2 Divisions of 5 Teams

Conference 2

2 Divisions of 5 teams
Two divisions of ten

top five finals for each

blue bags

First Grade
haha yeh sure, the people investigating where the people accused, so PNG!
Meanwhile:

'The Department of Home Affairs is still unable to assure federal parliament the reported $80 million paid to Papua New Guinea for the welfare and support of people formerly held in offshore detention is being properly spent and has not been siphoned off in corrupt or fraudulent payments. '

Nothing to see here:

Papua New Guinea's Prime Minister James Marape has confirmed reports his eldest son is one of five men arrested in relation to a suitcase found with $US440,000 at a domestic airport in the highlands province of Hela last week.

Reports of his son. Has a $10 million dollar house. Estate. In point piper. Sydney. 1 of the most exclusive expensive suburb on Sydney Harbour wow 😲

blue bags

First Grade
If the next two are indeed PNG & Perth (and I have doubts on PNG but anyway..) I would say NZ 2 would be a good choice for team 20.

21 and 22 being Adelaide & another Queensland club - whether that's SE-Queensland or something like Central Queensland.
But we have NZ in a massive recession at the moment
So that puts NZ 2 in a Grey area

flippikat

Bench
But we have NZ in a massive recession at the moment
So that puts NZ 2 in a Grey area
While the current situation here probably knocks us out of contention for 18 or 19, team 20 isn't happening anytime soon, there's plenty of time for the cycle to turn.

A change of Government from the current austerity of National/ACT/NZ First could be the spur for that.

Next election is 2026, and team 20 won't happen in that time frame (and we haven't had a 1-term government in 50 years)

With team 20 being closer to the FOLLOWING election in 2029 - maybe just after - there's a chance NZ 2 as team 20 will arrive just as Labour/Greens economic stimulus kicks in.

Latest posts