What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nrl plans for a 20 team comp

RedVee

First Grade
Overheard a bloke in a “Suns” jacket the other day talking up AFL (expected), and the possibility of NT getting a team.

I got a look of disdain and ignored when I threw a “Go the Dragons” in.

flippikat

First Grade
Surely a team in Canberra would be the better option.
Makes a lot of sense - if they're putting Tasmania in as team 19, they'll want something far more bank-able for team 20 to balance the risk of a small market in Tasmania. Which likely means Canberra or a 3rd WA club.

Perth is a bigger population but could eat into existing clubs, while although Canberra is smaller it means the Giants can focus on being solely a 2nd Sydney team.

flippikat

First Grade
20. . Chch
21. Brisbane 3
22. Adelaide
23. Wellington
24. Fiji

(Perth 18 png 19)

That should do it really
YES! That's the great scenario - and once we get to 24 teams, we can have an "everyone plays everyone once" fair schedule of 23 rounds, probably with a 5 or 6-week playoff system & maybe even clear window for origin/rep footy.

RedVee

First Grade
Surely a team in Canberra would be the better option.
You’d think.
Evidently the guy was a youth team coach and he wants the young indigenous to come through. But many of them struggle being moved so far from home and family. A team in the NT would keep them closer for longer.

Colk

First Grade
Whilst I was hesitant about the viability of a 20 team competition previously, it would be downright negligence to do it now. Unless the ARLC completely revolutionise the player market system, there will be some absolutely unwatchable games.

Last Week

Bench
YES! That's the great scenario - and once we get to 24 teams, we can have an "everyone plays everyone once" fair schedule of 23 rounds, probably with a 5 or 6-week playoff system & maybe even clear window for origin/rep footy.
I could get behind that, but the finals could be short and simpler. A 12 team tournament with the top 4 getting the first week off. Straight knock out.

If we get to 24 teams we would most definitely need conferences.

flippikat

First Grade
Looking over the horizon, I see that Souths has announced that they'll be taking a game each year to Perth in 2025 & 2026 - which has been picked up as another hint that Perth (Western Bears) may debut in 2027.

With that in mind - if Souths are keen to keep playing a "home away from home" game each year, maybe they should be talking to the powers-that-be in Adelaide?

It strikes me as a cool pivot for Souths to go from "helping to keep the flame alive" in one AFL city to doing it in another - South Sydney in South Australia has a cool ring to it too... and you never know, could be useful groundwork for an eventual expansion team there - as part of the NEXT expansion phase (teams 21 & 22).

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Shouldn’t just be Souths though.

The NRL should be working with almost all clubs on representing and having a presence in a secondary market.