What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL players eligible for Olympic sevens?

Redsfan

Juniors
Now that it looks as if Sevens will make the Olympics, do you think the NRL should release players for national Olympic duty, if it doesn't clash with the NRL season?

Surely the players would want to, and league players would pick the game up easily enough.

The Tank

Bench
Isn't that RU? If so, then no. Clubs don't want to release players for proper RL internationals let alone a mickey mouse union tourney.

DeeJ

Bench
Why the hell are they pushing this sport anyway? Touch footy would be better. Once they get into the clear in 7's its all over.

Moffo

Referee
i wonder if australia will pick giteau etc...or should they pick the best seven players at sevens that are available? if so, surely people like thurston,bowen must come into contention

Moffo

Referee
they are representing australia at the olympics though...surely you would want the best players available, and i would argue some of those currently play RL

Canard

Immortal
RedsTroll

I realise your trying to get a rise out of League fans, but aren't you just belittling your own sport by saying that Australian Union doesn't have enought talent to even select 7 players without dipping into League playing ranks?

No.

Imagine the uproar in Union ranks if they allowed NRL players to play Union 7's at the Olympics... lol

Still, if they want Australia to win, it is probably the only way...

Now that it looks as if Sevens will make the Olympics, do you think the NRL should release players for national Olympic duty, if it doesn't clash with the NRL season?

Surely the players would want to, and league players would pick the game up easily enough.

isnt this just like coveting a prettier girl than your wife, but not having the guts to go for it.

union is your ugly bride.

dimitri

First Grade
what a joke

how can this 'sport' make the olympics?

Where does one go to join their local union 7s team?

Union 7s is a joke. The tournament which is held yearly in Wellington is used as a pissup session for all who attend. No one actually watches the games.

ozenzud

Juniors
And its not a sport in itself. Its a "festival game". Rugby Union is the sport and 7's is a truncated version. This is up there with having ball room dancing at the Olympics. Or individual sycronised swimming..........or golf for that matter. I love the olympics. How can they do it? I don't watch the soccer at the Olympics, but will watch the world cup. Under 23's is a joke. They've lost me now. Surprised they didn't include syncronised, individual, under 7's rollerblading for people who's names start with "W".

Redsfan

Juniors
RedsTroll

I realise your trying to get a rise out of League fans, but aren't you just belittling your own sport by saying that Australian Union doesn't have enought talent to even select 7 players without dipping into League playing ranks?

Not at all mate.

Rugby is obviously in my opinion a better game, however league has its merits. Some league players would obviously excel at 7s, but not necessarily XVs. There are enough RU players to make a good side, but Inglis and Folau are two off the top of my head who would be great 7s players.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually I believe that a RU sevens team made up of league players would roundly thrash a RU sevens team made up of Union players

Parra

Referee
Actually I believe that a RU sevens team made up of league players would roundly thrash a RU sevens team made up of Union players

It would be interesting and would depend a lot on how much effort the league players put into adapting.

The typical league defence would not work well in 7's at all.

Latest posts