What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 17 2024 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
After last week's wild round maybe we'll be back to normal this week, whatever 'normal' is in this crazy year. Another thing to watch out for is refereeing and Bunker 'inconsistencies' as the whole officiating seems to have gotten out of hand in this regard.

Players and fans alike have seemed to have lost confidence in it. We don't know what to expect week in, week out, and that isn't an outcome anyone should want, least not the game's administrators?

Friday, after another tough (but this week inspiring) Origin contest, we have Canterbury hosting Cronulla. Matt Burton would've had a tough Wednesday night watching his former Blues teammates demolish Qld and this could be the difference here. The Sharks aren't great at Homebush, apart from that famous night in 2016.

Saturday, it's a shellshocked Warriors getting a chance to right the wrong against Brisbane, who are missing some big names. Mt Smart will be full. It could be noisy, it could be deathly silent. I'd love a crystal ball but where's the fun in that?

Newcastle could further trap the Eels at the bottom of the ladder and Melbourne host a Canberra side who also need to atone for a cellar-dwelling defeat last week.

Sunday, three goodies. St George v Dolphins, Redcliffe are always surprising us with how good they are, and they win away too. Penrith will surely rest their guns against an NQ side not at their best on cold, NSW nights. We close with high-flying Easts and the fired-up Tigers. Gee, if Benji grabs that one then Wests are really starting something, finally!

Enjoy.

Blair

Coach
I miss the two games on a Friday night. At first I thought the six pm game was a dud slot but it grew on me. It's perfect for your first beer, or close to it, as I start at about 5:30 pm!

It's even better in NZ. An eight pm kick-off before the ten pm one. When I was back in NZ recently it reminded me just how late the footy can be. A midnight finish sometimes.

Blair

Coach
For crying out loud, see what I mean about no six pm game? ABC Radio are filling the void with a 2001 doco about the 1960/61 tied-test cricket series.

It's about three degrees outside, and pitch black, it aint cricket season.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
This is absolutely disgusting from Sutton

Final 10mins he misses high tackles against the Sharks, gives the Dogs 2 6 agains on the 5th tackle, was relieved to give them a penalty in front to even it up. Repeatedly stops the sharks set for playing off the mark which has happened all night, then gives an absolutely disgraceful penalty for the Dogs deliberately running into the Sharks player who did nothing wrong that gave Burton the chance to win it

what will he find in golden point

Big Marn

Bench
Dogs are a bit up and down but would have to concede they are back to being pretty solid overall. 2nd Best Defence. Just lacking on Offence when compared to teams like the Roosters Monstars.

Blair

Coach
15-14, Dogs. Golden point was achieved once again and our dire f/a is safe once again (apart from Manly of course).

Blair

Coach
Four losses in a row for Brisbane. With the Panthers next week, albeit at home. They should be more worried than, say, Cronulla, who are receiving more stick for losing.

Big Marn

Bench
Four losses in a row for Brisbane. With the Panthers next week, albeit at home. They should be more worried than, say, Cronulla, who are receiving more stick for losing.
who are the commentators for ABC now? is it still Morrow? i havent listened to them in years.

Blair

Coach
who are the commentators for ABC now? is it still Morrow? i havent listened to them in years.
Tonight, with the Warriors, I had Andrew Moore, and Luke Lewis. Dene Halatau is another one, along with John Gibbs and Ryan Hoffman. Matt Elliott turns up too, as does Ruan Sims. Games played in Newcastle, Canberra, Townsville, etc, have a main, local commentator.

Last edited:

Big Marn

Bench
Ryan Hoffman? Sideline comments? How does he go?

Leon Pryces son Will.scored on debut. Talk about a blueblood. Leon was a legend in the super league.

Blair

Coach
Parra have a red-hot Mitch Moses leading them tonight. But it's still close between two desperate teams.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Ryan Hoffman? Sideline comments? How does he go?

Leon Pryces son Will.scored on debut. Talk about a blueblood. Leon was a legend in the super league.
The Hoff goes good but, like many ex-players, is a bit raspy.

He's down in Melbourne tonight. Local knowledge, with no bias (!) you see.

Latest posts