What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 27 2024 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
All Blacks aren’t much better, not following too closely but I think this is the battle to avoid the spoon?
I'd say we're much better than a team who got beaten 67-27, especially as they were 20-3 up.

I don't think the All Blacks are as far away as people want to say they are (media, mostly). Beat Ireland in a quarter-final last year when it counted. 1 point off SA in the final with 14 men, and a disallowed try that should have stood. Yep, one shit performance at home to Argentina but then got within one score of SA (double world champions) twice in the cauldron of SA, because of little mistakes.

Robertson is 7 games and a couple of months in, as opposed to Erasmus who has been with SA forever. We'll get better. And I'm not even a sycophant, I generally don't care too much.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Gus clearly thinks Addo-Carr is full of it

'We have to act': Gus clarifies Addo-Carr's fate

Lachlan Harper

Canterbury Bulldogs general manager Phil Gould has declared there have been "too many contradictions" in Josh Addo-Carr's story, as he prepares to front the NRL Integrity Unit.

Addo-Carr returned two positive results for a roadside drug test and has accepted the fine and three-month suspension from driving by NSW Police.

The Bulldogs winger missed the side's elimination final against Manly as a result of the tests with his fate now in the hands of Gould and the club's board.

Despite accepting punishment from NSW Police, Addo-Carr, through his lawyer, claims he "never knowingly ingested any illegal drugs".

Speaking on Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles with Gus, Gould explained Addo-Carr's version of events "changed slightly from day to day depending on what had been revealed".

"At the end of the day what we have is a positive drug test, that there were drugs in his system last Friday night," he said.

"I believe he's still protesting his innocence in that. But at (sometime) he's going to have to explain to himself and explain to people that matter exactly how that's happened and why it's happened. And then why we've gone through what we've gone through over the last week or so with that. It was certainly bad timing.

"I'm so proud of the club with the way they dealt with it, the way players and coaches put it out of their minds and got prepared for the weekend and performed the way they did."

Gould revealed Addo-Carr's meeting with the NRL Integrity Unit will take place on Thursday with the winger set to explain how cocaine entered his system.

"Around the world we've seen some bizarre explanations of how this might have happened or didn't happen. Josh has got to find out how it happened, and then we have to act ... it's as simple as that," he said.

The Integrity Unit will then make a decision before it's left to the Bulldogs to decide Addo-Carr's future.

Gould - who has been strong on the Bulldogs' values of 'club first, team second, individual third' - will be the one making that call before the board either accepts or pushes back on it.

"There's a whole lot at play here, there's a whole lot at play about the perception of our club, the image of our club, the standards we want to set, the culture of the young players coming through our system and also setting a precedent for what may come in the future," he said.

"There's a lot to consider but that's what leadership is about, it's about doing the right thing for our club and our culture and that's what we'll do."

Asked whether he believes he hasn't received the full story from Addo-Carr, Gould's reply was simple: "Too many contradictions."

Source: www.nine.com.au

Blair

Coach
I'd say we're much better than a team who got beaten 67-27, especially as they were 20-3 up.

I don't think the All Blacks are as far away as people want to say they are (media, mostly). Beat Ireland in a quarter-final last year when it counted. 1 point off SA in the final with 14 men, and a disallowed try that should have stood. Yep, one shit performance at home to Argentina but then got within one score of SA (double world champions) twice in the cauldron of SA, because of little mistakes.

Robertson is 7 games and a couple of months in, as opposed to Erasmus who has been with SA forever. We'll get better. And I'm not even a sycophant, I generally don't care too much.
I'm mostly looking forward to the haka. It's electrifying in Sydney. I don't know why but this town goes mental for it.

I'm old school and want Ka Mate. Kapa O Pango has taken too long to resonate, but it's better than nothing.

Kick-off is always an anti-climax for me. It's union, hey.

Izz

Bench
Rabbits have signed Josh Schuster on a one-year deal. Bennett obviously confident he can work his magic on him...

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Rabbits have signed Josh Schuster on a one-year deal. Bennett obviously confident he can work his magic on him...
Can’t go wrong having a crack at him at bargain basement price for 1 year

One of the most talented players that’s come through in the past decade, am sure a change of environment will be a good thing for him

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
This is one of the stranger things I’ve seen in Rugby League from the Tigers

Wests Tigers wish to congratulate former halfback Luke Brooks on his achievements over the weekend for Manly Warringah Sea Eagles," a statement on the Tigers' club website read.

"Although he did not play finals footy in his time at the Tigers, Brooks certainly enjoyed his first taste of finals footy on Sunday, helping the Sea Eagles to a 24-22 victory over the Bulldogs."

Wests Tigers CEO Shane Richardson also congratulated Brooks on the achievement, stating that "he showed loyalty when many didn't".

“On behalf of everyone here at Wests Tigers, I want to congratulate Luke on achieving something that he has wanted for a long time,” Richardson said in a statement.

“Luke spent more than a decade as a Wests Tigers player, so he will always be a part of this family.

Izz

Bench
Can’t go wrong having a crack at him at bargain basement price for 1 year

One of the most talented players that’s come through in the past decade, am sure a change of environment will be a good thing for him
If Wayne can get that squad firing they'll be pretty dangerous next year

Blair

Coach
Yep, very strange. Especially combined with the bbq they gave him after their last game last season 😂
It reminds me of a deadbeat extended family trying to wrangle some money off a successful relative.

• Haha
Reactions: Izz

JJ

Immortal
Schuster is an obviously good risk . Big upside and old man Wayne might be able to get him to realise the talent

JJ

Immortal
This is one of the stranger things I’ve seen in Rugby League from the Tigers

Wests Tigers wish to congratulate former halfback Luke Brooks on his achievements over the weekend for Manly Warringah Sea Eagles," a statement on the Tigers' club website read.

"Although he did not play finals footy in his time at the Tigers, Brooks certainly enjoyed his first taste of finals footy on Sunday, helping the Sea Eagles to a 24-22 victory over the Bulldogs."

Wests Tigers CEO Shane Richardson also congratulated Brooks on the achievement, stating that "he showed loyalty when many didn't".

“On behalf of everyone here at Wests Tigers, I want to congratulate Luke on achieving something that he has wanted for a long time,” Richardson said in a statement.

“Luke spent more than a decade as a Wests Tigers player, so he will always be a part of this family.
That club is such a disaster atm

Meth

Staff member
I'm mostly looking forward to the haka. It's electrifying in Sydney. I don't know why but this town goes mental for it.

I'm old school and want Ka Mate. Kapa O Pango has taken too long to resonate, but it's better than nothing.

Kick-off is always an anti-climax for me. It's union, hey.

I'm so gutted when it's Ka Mate

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Schuster is an obviously good risk . Big upside and old man Wayne might be able to get him to realise the talent
Yeah I don't see a risk in this. He's not on the $750k or so he was at Manly, if anyone is going to get him going it's Wayne.

I do feel like they have way too many 'he'd go well under Wayne' sort of guys though. Latrell, Cody Walker, Schuster, Wighton and so on. Dangerous, but can't see consistency being any part of their make-up.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
Yeah I don't see a risk in this. He's not on the $750k or so he was at Manly, if anyone is going to get him going it's Wayne.

I do feel like they have way too many 'he'd go well under Wayne' sort of guys though. Latrell, Cody Walker, Schuster, Wighton and so on. Dangerous, but can't see consistency being any part of their make-up.
Yep, ceiling is high, floor low

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
ABs currently beating the clock in the early stages of the Sydney Bledisloe game. This could get very ugly for the Wobblies

Latest posts